“A place to return to...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sibson Inn Hotel

Sibson Inn Hotel
Ranked #14 of 29 Hotels in Peterborough
Kent, England
“A place to return to...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

Another one night stop over and again I booked my stay on the back of reviews on TA.
This place is a gem - right by the A1. Despite its location is was surprisingly quiet. Check in was quick and none of this lets see your credit card stuff.
My room was vast - warm but not stuffy with a large bathroom. It was well furnished and everything was clean & tidy. Free wifi was on offer and it was pretty quick. I booked DB&B and the food was well cooked and tasty. It would have been rude not to try the bar - and the beer was good (if slightly pricy). The owner was in the bar and was friendly as were the other staff.
After a good nights sleep an excellent breakfast was served - freshly cooked! There was not much cold food on offer but with a full English available that was not a problem.
To sum up a well earned 5* stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Polish first
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

there is a sign outside saying no1 in peterborough , and yes i totally agree lovely people great rooms & food to die for , 100% i will go back not just to stay but for the food alone , Allen x Debbie late 40s , thank you Sibson.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 17 great veiw over the countryside
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bigallen3467
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

We chose this venue as we felt it had a relaxed and friendly feel.... Nothing was too much trouble and we were allowed to decorate and do what we wanted with the wedding rooms.
The staff were lovely in particular the bar man everyone commented on what a great guy he was... Thank you!
The food served was lovely and we went for bacon and sausage bap's in the evening they went down really well!!!
Everything went to plan and the day was so special.
The family stayed the night before the wedding and the food in the restaurant was delicious..... Everyone was really impressed and left feeling full.... T-bone steak was beautiful according to my bridesmaids. I'm a vegi so would recommend the roasted vegetable linguini.
The rooms were home from home everything you needed, cozy and were warm!! And it was very chilli outside.... The Bridal suit was beautiful.... A lovely treat.
A massive thank you to everyone at the hotel for making our wedding day so special.....
(Even though it's right on the A1 you don't hear any traffic noise... Don't let that put you off!!!)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Victoria G
Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on r way home from london and it was a lovely night had amazing food and then they let us borrow dvds and we had a great sleep very quiet, lovely log fire in the bar area and lovely staff even the other guests were nice and spoke to us..we even stopped off again on r way home from london again not to sleep as we had work but just for there amazing food! Great hotel staff and food!!

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rebeccabluedavey
Peterborough, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

I really like this inn, we had a lovely meal in the restaurant and having eaten at the nearby Bell Inn in Stilton quite a lot, I think this is far better. Much better value, bigger portions and everything hand made and hand cooked---fab.
The staff are equally as good, very attentive but not false or insincere. They seemed genuinely intent on us having a good evening, which is really all you want!
We stayed in the Bridal suite which was, of course lovely, but I do have the following comments; Why is there a nasty pine wardrobe in this beautifully designed and decorated room?
Why is there no where to eat breakfast in the room? It would benefit from a small table and 2 chairs rather than a desk. I had to perch on the bed while my other half sat at the desk and ate his beautifully cooked breakfast. The room is easily big enough.
Overall a really lovely evening, I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle F
Deal, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

I booked this hotel as my mum was working in the peterborough area, when I first booked the hotel I wasn't aware there was going to be a storm that would stop me from travelling on the Monday. As it became apparent that the storm would effect our ability to get to Peterborough I checked to see if I could cancel the booking at which point I would rearrange the booking with the same hotel, I didn't want to bother anyone to complete a simple task.....or so I thought. I should have checked the cancellation policy I know but I missed it by a few hours, I realised on the Sunday at about 1pm which was 2 hours later than I could cancel. The whole country was aware of the storm warning....you would have thought that some compassion and understanding would have been given in this situation. In stead I was told that if I changed to the Tuesday-Thursaday rather than the Monday-Wednesday and I was charged an extra 38 for the changing of one night. But I accepted this and as it looked like a nice hotel I thought in pay be worth almost £200. Which aesthetically it was........ But it doesn't end with extortion. Around 10am on the Wednesday (the day after the day after the storm)...... We were just about to leave to have lunch with my mum, take the dog for a walk and then bring my mum back to the hotel for dinner and find somewhere to walk the dog (it is worth pointing out at the this stage that the main road, which is the only way un and out of the hotel, is a death trap!).... so we are about to leave, getting our stuff ready and there is a knock on the door, obviously this is strange when staying in rooms that are like bungalows. My partner answered the door to find the gardener standing there. A long story short he had smashed our car rear window. So the usual happened we had to wait around for autoglass who wouldn't commit to an eta so I had to try and make arrangements for my mum to get to the hotel as she had left her car there the night before as she had been drinking and needed it for work the following day. Now I don't think it is acceptable for me to be out of pocket because of what one of the hotels contractors have done due to not paying attention to what hew is doing. My few days away was ruined! I was told that it was not the hotels responsibility and that it said clearly that cars are left at the owners risk and they will not be liable for damage...... now am I completely stupid.....I though that common decency dictates that if the damage i caused by a member of a hotels staff or contractors, who in turn a representative of that hotel as they are contracted by the hotel to work for them. I am staying with the hotel not with the gardener so there should have been a small gesture from the management of said hotel, simply by way of an apology, I didn't want compensation, just a sorry would have been nice, seen as our break away cost us a lot of money to end up sitting in a room waiting for glaziers. Then we ate in the restaurant on the wednesday and it was awful, my steak was all cease and over cooked, my partners food was cold and my mums was covered in olive oil. Deserts came, mine was meant to be cheese cake, it tasted like cheap angel delight that had not had enough milk added, it was gross. My mum ordered apple crumble which was cold and so was the custard. She asked for another one and they offered straight away to comp that dessert. I also had attitude because I had requested that the hotel pay for a taxi if I couldn't get to pick her up, but in the end I had a quick fix plastic film window thing put and and picked my mum up, the younger guy made a comment that my car obviously isn't that bad. It was I just thought I would rather pick my mum than have her picked up back a random taxi driver. The whole bill came to £29.50, my mum paid £19.50 (steak £16.50 and a coke £3.00) as it was my birthday. So that left £10 left to pay plus 6 drinks at £3.00 which is another £18.00, these were put on to the room. I must point out that we did not have the breakfast on either day that we paid for first day as we planned to grab something as we left to take dog for a walk, that was just as the gardener knocked on the door, all thoughts of breakfast simply disappeared. Then the second day we were dealing with autoglass man and again we didn't think about it until after the stress level had calmed down, which unfortunately was after the breakfast had finished. So we really did miss out and over pay for this holiday....... The last thing that annoyed me is that there were still things on the bill that my mum had paid for and they tried to make an issue of it because the gardener had left £20 to say sorry, which was lovely of him and hat of to the guy he was really good but I wasn't going to absorb their mistake because I was compensated for my window being broke when they had already charged me over the odds to say how awful and miserable I felt and still fee; about what should have been a happy occasion, it was my birthday and I had not seen my mum for 7 months and the last time I had seen her I was very close to loosing my partner so it was meant to be a happy occasion and although my mum and I tried to enjoy our few days together, there was always a nagging issue because of the window and when it would be sorted out.

Awful, will never use again which as a shame as i will be travelling to and from Peterborough over the coming months.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jason P
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

I stayed for 2 nights on business and apart from the wifi not really being strong enough in my room had nothing to complain about. Nothing special to sing the praises of either - it's a perfectly respectable, comfortable (the bar is especially cosy) country inn. I had a room in the main building which was plenty big enough, comfortable bed and pillows, strong hot shower (although the shower head could do with descaling). If you are over 6foot then be aware that some doors are a bit low - then again it IS a very old coaching inn, so this is only to be expected.
Surprisingly little road noise, despite only having single glazing - perhaps my room at the back helped?

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo