“Cannot acclaim it more but Excellent fits perfectly”
Review of Bell Inn Stilton

Bell Inn Stilton
Ranked #3 of 27 Hotels in Peterborough
cambridge
“Cannot acclaim it more but Excellent fits perfectly”
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We went to the Bell Inn on the Friday29th June,for our Daughter's Wedding,which was at the Hotel,and also the reception. we booked B&B there and left 20th.What a lovely time we all had,nothing was too much trouble, the Hotel is so comfortable, for these sort of venues,everyone was well impressed with the detail,the Professionalism of the Hotel Staff, and the place itself for Photos, in the Grounds and courtyard were really something special,and will not be forgotten. The catering,well, I cannot praise it enough, the food was plentiful,cooked as good or even better standard than a high class restaurant, anywhere,absolutely delicious! and served impeccable. A very Special day made that extra special by this delightful Hotel.We stayed over night in a very comfortable and spotlessly clean room, with a balcony looking over the courtyard,the breakfast was plentiful,choice of 'full English' variants of any other choice, nothing was left out, what you requested was catered for.Anyone who is looking for a good Hotel, in a nice location,whether it be for a special time, or venue, or just a relax, and time away, this is probably the very best you could pick for yourselves, you will not be disappointed,this is a diamond.
The Character of these old buildings are really great, and the history is still there, in this very lovely Bell Inn in Stilton. Well done, thoroughly enjoyable, we loved it!

1 Thank Rose001

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I´ve known The Bell even before it was renovated after being derelict for a few years,the first owner bust his bank account over it and the present owners have invested a lot of money and even more blood and sweat into making it a great sucess,both as a Hotel and Restaurant and as a place of relaxation for the locals.
Because the builing is a `Listed´one it´s hard to make all the rooms`modern´and some beams etc just cannot be removed,the main building is over 300 years old and is full of history being just off the main road to London.Legend has it that Dick Turpin one of the best known Highwaymen of his time jumped out of a window here to escape arrest.
I´ve eaten and drank here many times for family birthdays etc and I can fully recommend it,there´s not many Restaurants that are better in the area,if any!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Chatham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Could'nt fault it even if i tried, which i would'nt, we stayed there this weekend for my daughters wedding reception which was perfect, the staff were all very friendly, i would definitely like to stay there again, Once again a big thank you to all the staff for a really nice enjoyable stay, steve.

Room Tip: apart from our room i only see my daughters room and they were very nice with a 4 poster bed and lot...
1 Thank Steve I
Beaune, France
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Great wedding (the same one described by Dant3627) brilliant service, excellent food considering the choice and the timescale. Also working in hotellerie, I would describe the rooms as a little tired but the service was second to none. We stayed a second night and dined in the restaurant, I can't rate it highly enough, the service was excellent, the food superb (we live in France so are used to high standards) the only let down was the fact that we had rooms over the wedding venue and the noise was unacceptable for a hotel of this quality.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms over the wedding venue. We attended a wedding and added an extra night afterwards, and...
2 Thank BurgundyGuide
Reviewed 16 June 2012 via mobile

I attended a wedding here and very pleasantly surprised by the whole day, working in the hotel trade I am very picky about places I go, although I didn't stay the night my parents did, they loved every minute, the staff, the service and the food were all top notch! A stunning venue in a stunning village!

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Dant3627
Peterborough
Reviewed 23 May 2012

We where given a voucher from our daughter for a meal at this hotel which we visited last night on our wedding anaversary and waht a really good evening we had. Mini problem with parking, the High Street is always full up but we did fine the car park at the rear of the hotel with a couple of spare lots.
On entering the hotel we went into the bar, got a drink and was then shown to our table, it was 7.30pm and the Bistro was empty!. It did feel a little strange but thankfully it soon filled up. Starters did not look that much on the plate but by the end of the meal we where pleased as we would never have finished it all off with a sweet! I had Ham Hock, the wife had Scotch eggs, they did taste nice and very well presented. For mains I had a rib eye steak, the wife lamb, both where as good as they looked, cooked to perfection, plenty of veg, so very impressed. I am not a sweet person but ended the meal with an Eton Mess, the wife had three types of chocolate sweets, again first class, as was the service I might add.
There was a small amount on credit left on our voucher so they kindly refunded it via a very large slice of Stilton cheese again another nice touch.
So £70 for the lot including three drinks, not cheap but as good a meal as we have had for a very long time and I would recommend the Bell Inn to anyone looking for a good meat or a treat on a special night out like we did.
Ken

Room Tip: Book a midweek table as I suspect the weekends the Bell in very popular.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I hate being the barer of bad news but my experience was very disappointing. When we arrived, we were moved from the one room to another, placed in a very busy corner so much so that we took ourselves to a different table as soon as one came up free. My fish was nothing to report though one of the most expensive dish and the gnocchis were nothing but...a horrible mushy mess more like.When I asked for an explanation, the waiter played dumb, never gave me a straight answer. I went there on recommendation, it might have been a bad evening, it looks more like they are living on their reputation. I don't know about the B&B I hope it is better than the bistro.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple