“Moat House in disguise”

Ranked #9 of 27 Hotels in Peterborough
Solihull, UK
“Moat House in disguise”
Reviewed 9 December 2011

I stayed at this hotel 9 years ago when it was part of the Moat House chain. It is a most unattractive building, plain to the point of boring, and undistinguished – it is surrounded by grassed areas. The changes inside were cosmetic in most places, the stairs and landings were just how I remembered them! With heavily patterned red and blue carpets in the corridors. The décor in the room was unchanged too. My scores for that visit were:
A couple of gripes to start with. They claimed, when I checked that my booking was for 3 days later when I had clear confirmation of my booking. Fortunately they were able to find me a room. Secondly one of the tea spoons on the hospitality tray was dirty when I first used it and was not properly cleaned after I had used it. The car park when I arrived was so full, I had to park in an unofficial space. Also, next to the fan/ventilator in the bathroom was a most unpleasant brown stain – no idea what caused it but it was very unattractive.
On entering the hotel, the lounge is very small but bright and clean, and the reception desk is clearly defined. There is a small business centre. My room was allocated on the second floor, with a choice of stairs or a small lift. The room faced out on to a grassed area and the windows were steel framed which meant that area of the room was very cold. I could hear fast moving traffic at all times. I did however sleep well. The room seemed small, but was about 4.5m x 4m, with a desk unit, small occasional chair and table, 2 bedside cupboards and the bed was large enough for a pleasant stretch out. There was an open wardrobe area and a small bathroom, with a bath (chipped in places), wc and sink unit. There were plentiful mirrors and lighting levels were good. The décor is pale cream, as was the carpet, generally I thought the room was clean. The old fashioned radiator did work well and raised the temperature quickly.
Different wifi packages are offered and I chose the economy 60 minutes non-consecutive within 24 hours. It would very efficiently and I was able to use it effectively with the minimum of fuss. The TV was an old style CRT with 10 channels and 4 radio channels and access to movies. I used the health club – still named ‘Moativation’ as it was when it was a Moat House Hotel – which was clean and bright with plentiful equipment.
The hotel is well situated for someone visiting Peterborough city centre (you will need to drive in as it's too far to walk) or just overnighting on a journey down the A1. I didn't receive the cookie/gift/courtesy call mentioned by other reviewers.
My score (out of 10) for the hotel: Location 8; Car Parking 6; Accessibility 6; Reception/Check Out 6; Size of Room 6; Facilities in Room 7; Hotel Facilities 7; Hotel Decor 6; Service 6; Value for Money 6.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Reviewed 5 December 2011

Great hotel,great staff.housekeepers excellent.food average at breakfast but fab evening meals.

• Stayed December 2011
Camborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2011

Stayed at this hotel on buisness, good service comforatble room, great gym and pool. The breakfast was good in the morning and the staff were all great, will stay again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
384Chris_B, Manager at Holiday Inn Peterborough West, responded to this review, 2 December 2011
Dear Micky Y

Thank you for your kind comments, I am pleased that you found the facilities and service to your liking. I was very pleased to read your comments on the staff as I truley believe that it is the team that make the diffrence to a guests stay.

Lookingforward to welcoming you back in the future.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Arrived on a Friday night, reception was prompt and efficient. Unfortunately the room we were allocated overlooked a part of the hotel where some noisy fans were running - they were clearly audible with the windows closed - at first we though it was air-con running on high speed!. So, we went back to reception and asked to be moved. We were subsequently given a room in a different part of the hotel that was much quieter - we both got a great night's sleep.

I have to stress that the receptionist was extremely friendly and efficient, even calling us after 5 minutes to check if the new room was OK - a big 'thumbs up' to the reception staff for a being so professional.

The room itself was very nice, a lovely big kingsize bed, everywhere was clean and proper. The TV was an old style CRT and the remote didn't work but that was only a minor niggle. We didn't make use of the restaurant or the spa/pool so cannot comment on those.

The hotel is well situated for someone visiting Peterborough or just overnighting on a journey down the A1. I think it represents good value for money and would recommend it.

Timezonehopper tip: this hotel is in a quiet part of town close to a golf club. The benefits of this are a nice tranquil location, however, if you want to eat in Peterborough city centre then you will need to drive in as it's too far to walk (other reviews mention a bus however).

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
384Chris_B, Manager at Holiday Inn Peterborough West, responded to this review, 9 November 2011
Dear TimeZone Hopper

Thank you for your positive reviews regarding your stay, i do hope that next time you stay with us you will get the chance to use all of our facilities.
If you do not wish to dine in the hotel in either the restaurant, bar or indeed room service reception can always arrange a Taxi for you to the city centre at a cost of around £6.

In relation to the fans you mentioned, I can assure you that these are on timers and will shut down overnight, however I was very pleased to hear that my reception team moved you to a quieter room.

I look forward to welcoming you back into the hotel, and this time hopefully you will have the time to try our restautant and spa.

Regards

germany
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Second stay here but since my previous review was a little negative, thought I'd review again.

Arrived very late, around midnight, after an evening flight. After initial confusion over whether there would be a bed for our son, the man on front desk was extremely accomodating and russled up some tasty room service in the early hours of the morning - thank you, we were really hungry! Fortunately, the previous shift had made up a child bed in our room - which was a relief as the man on front desk explained that if it had not been done already, he would not be able to do this for us since there was only two staff on duty that night.

Room was much better this time as although it was compact, it had everything you need for a one night stay. Shower was a delight - much better then the previous experience. Decor was fine, bed comfortable and room clean.

Breakfast staff seemed inconvenienced by our arrival 20 minutes before service finished. They explained that all the hot food had already been removed as it had been on the hotplate since 7am but we could help ourselves to cereals, toast and coffee. A more senior member of staff then approached and thankfully offered a cooked breakfast for which we were grateful. Cooked breakfast was fine and there was a good selection of bread, fresh fruit and pastries.

I am guessing from other reviews that if you are a regular business guest, you perhaps receive a warmer welcome. We didn't recieve the cookie/gift/courtesy call mentioned by other reviewers. Clearly we had arrived late and were tired. The man on front desk was apologetic that he didn't know whether there were sufficient beds for us to sleep in. He understood why we were a little miffed but was unable to confirm the situation. He looked after us well with room service. The lady at checkout was also very nice. Otherwise, staff are not rude but smiles were few and far between.

There is definately a hair problem at the hotel. Because of our previous experience we were perhaps searching for stray hairs more than usual (yak!). Much to our amusement we found hair on the clean folded towels (black, curly) several in the sink and sadly, one in my egg! Perhaps it is me!

I guess the hotel is catering for business traveller's. I would stay again if I had to.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank wonderfrau
384Chris_B, Manager at Holiday Inn Peterborough West, responded to this review, 2 November 2011
Dear Wonderfrau

I was pleased to hear that your experience had improved upon your last visit, however clearly there are a couple of areas for me to focus upon.
I hope you will give me the chance to move your rating from a 3 to a 5 during your next stay.
I look forward to welcoming you back into the hotel.

Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2011

Corporate business hotel? Yes for sure, but with a difference. From the "check-in gift" (a cookie) to the "is everything OK with your room" phone call the reception desk set the tone for my stay. The restaurant staff and bar staff were providing fast friendly service and were very attentive. The food was OK, not bad for a HI, their puddings let them down every time.
As a Platinum Member of their loyalty club I get to stay in 10s of different Holiday Inns each year, over 100 nights per year, and this one is the only one to stand out in 2011. The overall quality of service offered means that the management are on the ball, they know that small things make the difference to travel-weary people who, in truth, would rather be in their own bed that night. Well done. If you are staying in Peterborough, use this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank WiltshireDruid
Dear Wiltshire Druid

Thank you for your kind feedback, i am glad you enjoyied the cookie ( we try to change our gifts to match the season) so i hope you will stay with us in the summer and try the mini ice creams or chocolate dipped strawberries.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Operations manager
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2011

with easy access to the road network the location is good. the food is above average. the staff are brilliant - cheerful, friendly & very helpful. the rooms are always clean & tidy & the overal facilities are high

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Dear Phil

Thank you for your kind feedback, I am pleased to hear my team are making you feel welcome.
I look forward to welcoming you back into the hotel.

Regards