“Good family hotel. Could do better. B minus.”

Holiday Inn Peterborough West
Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Peterborough
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We were travelling back to Hertfordshire after visiting my wife's mother (who lives in Spalding). We wanted to stay somewhere on the way back to break the journey up for my daughter. On top of that, we were looking for somewhere that had a pool, to give my daughter a little treat! We went for the Holiday Inn Peterborough West because the price was pretty good (about £71, inc. breakfast) and because they had a reasonable-looking pool.

Upon arrival at the hotel (fairly late in the day, around 7pm) I dropped my wife and daughter off at the entrance, while I went and parked the car. There were no parking spaces remotely near the property, which was a bit disappointing; however, there was a large car park, with plenty of space, so getting in was not a problem.

After a bit of a walk back to the hotel, I met my wife and daughter at reception, only to be informed that, unfortunately, the lifts weren't working and so, therefore, we would have to ascend several flights to reach our room. Although my wife told me not to mention this point in my Trip Advisor review (she said it wasn't the fault of the hotel) I do think it is an important thing to mention as regards our specific stay - particularly as it was a bit of a pain every time we left the room to go anywhere (specifically down to breakfast the next morning, then back up to the room, and then back down to the swimming pool). I do think that a hotel with many rooms on higher floors does need to get its lifts working as quickly as possible. In our case, our daughter was able to walk (slowly and with faltering steps) up and down the stairs. However, this would have been much more difficult for guests who were older in years, not to say impossible for the disabled. Whenever I mentioned the lift to staff on reception, I was met with a bit of a shrug and the response that it had 'only broken down today.' Is that my problem? Answer: no. The lift should have been fixed there and then.

Aside from the lift malfunction, everything else was pretty good. The hotel went out of their way to accommodate our wishes and provided a camp bed in the corner of the room (for my use, so that my daughter could sleep in the main bed with my wife), and overall we had a good sleep.

The next morning, breakfast was fine (not exceptional), with a serve yourself buffet the order of the day. By their very nature, buffets are something of a hit or miss affair, and this was definitely more the latter, with sausages and bacon that had a rather 'processed' taste and other hot food that can only be described as 'stodgy.' On the plus side, the D.I.Y. coffee machine was very good.

The swimming pool was located quite far away from the reception and was of the Holiday Inn 'Club Moativation' variety. All Club Moativations seem to be pretty standard, and this one had the obligatory small-ish pool, with jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. My daughter had a good time in the pool and I got a few much needed laps in, so overall we were pleased with the leisure facilities on offer.

Overall, what you would probably expect of a Holiday Inn, but not as good as some Holiday Inns we have stayed in. Could do better points: quicker lift fixing and better quality breakfast.

Room Tip: When the lifts aren't working, go for a room on the ground floor!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 24 January 2012

I've stayed here a couple of times on business trips. The rooms are very nice, very comfy beds and nice bathrooms. I've slept well on both occasions. The bar is nice, very friendly staff who are very courteous and polite. Food is ok, nothing special but I've had worse in other hotel bars.
The first time I stayed in the hotel was summer 2011. The breakfast was great, good choice of pastries, yogurts, cold meats, cheeses, juices,cereals, fruit etc. I'm not a fan of the cooked breakfast but all looked good. The second time I stayed was January 2012 and the breakfast was terrible. there was barely any fruit, no pastries, just an empty basket, stale bread for toast, no bread roles, no cheese or ham, limited cereals and juice. and the cooked breakfast was pitiful. I was very disappointed. even when someone pointed out that there was no bread, a rather stressed staff member said she was too busy! she did replace it but it took a while. Really it was quite dismal and this is the reason I didnt give the hotel an better rating as I had no other issues. Truthfully, I only stayed in this hotel because there was no availability in the Park Inn, it would be my first choice, due to it's central location (and good breakfast). I'm not sure I'd say in the holiday inn again based on the terrible breakfast options. I'd go for the Mariott over this one, similar distance from the town centre, similar price but much better breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 January 2012

We had an enjoyable time here twice in 2010. Overall very good value and the food was excellent. Our first stay was spoiled somewhat by the antics going on above on the Saturday night of our first visit. The management did their best but it seemed impossible.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights recently on a business trip.
The hotel itself is nothing special but service was good and the attraction for me was that it has a leisure centre and gym.
The bedroom was fine with 1 of the widest beds I have seen in a hotel.
I only had cereal for breakfast but the cooked breakfast looked appetising.
I had dinner which again was fine, nothing special but no complaints either.
My only gripe is that you have to pay for wi-fi in your room. You do get 30 mins free in the lobby or bar/restaurant area.
It was my first time staying in Peterborough so I can't rate it against other hotels there. I have to go back to Peterborough and have asked that I be booked in to the Holiday Inn Peterborough West again as it is perfectly adequate for a business traveller.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
384Chris_B, Manager at Holiday Inn Peterborough West, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2012

Dear DeclanKerry

Thank you for your comments, I am pleased to hear that your stay was pleasent and comfortable. I was also pleased to hear that you will be returning to us again when next on business in peterborough. I look forward to making your stay even more comfortable and ensuring that our hotel is a must stay choice for you in the future.

Reviewed 26 December 2011

We stayed at this hotel over Xmas, from check-in to departure the standard of service was excellent. Our room was very spacious , extremely well appointed and excellent standard of cleanliness.The Xmas gift outside our room om Xmas morning was a lovely surprise. The whole hotel was clean and bright and very welcoming. Breakfast was well laid out and with a very wide variety of choices. On our return on Xmas evening, after spending the day with family, the bar was empty but we were served with drinks and not made to feel that it was an inconvienience.
Overall, an extremely pleasant experience and we will certainly stay again when visiting family in the area. Thank you for contributing to our lovely Xmas holiday.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Lorna B

Thank you for your kind comments. I was pleased to hear you liked your Christmas stocking that Santa left for you outside your room, even though your away from home you still deserve a little gift.

I look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Reviewed 18 December 2011

We had our work xmas do last week - a Hollywood theme - if your idea of fun is being herded into a room and made to sit through some 'entertainment' before being served the smallest portions of food (and I'm not a big eater but I was starving at the end) imaginable whilst sitting in a cold draught, then witnessing the 'games' involving blindfold drawing, tongue twisters. bras and condoms then this is the place for you. Add to that wine at £7 a glass and you have a recipe for one of the most expensive, tacky nights out in Peterborough.

Apparently the weekends are even more expensive - in these cash strapped times places are going to have to offer value for money and quite frankly this event doesn't.

One of our party summed it up when they said it was like Butlins but not so classy.

A truly vile night out - purile, sexist and outdated - never again

Room Tip: Go to another venue
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends

Dear S D

I am sorry to hear that your experience was not as you expected. We work hard all year to make our Christmas parties fun and enjoyable for all who attend, for which the majority leave happy to return the following year.

If you would like to contact me to discuss your experience in person I would be happy to listen to your comments.

We have over 7000 guests attend our parties each year, however I would like to resolve your issues and restore your faith in the Holiday Inn Peterborough West so that all 7000 left my property satisfied.

I look forward to hearing from you

Kind regards

Reviewed 14 December 2011

We had the pleasure of attending the Oscar's Christmas party Night on Friday 9th of December and I'd like to share our experience with you.On entering the hotel we noticed that the red carpet was down and we were swiftly guided to our destination out of the cold. First impressions were good as we noted that there were plenty of friendly staff on hand.We ordered a drink at the bar and were served straight away. No big feat you may think,but it was, as there were now 300 people awaiting to enter The Buckingham Suite!!!So well done to all of the bar staff.We were announced in to the suite on time and WOW!!!!
What a delight it was.The room looked amazing.The tables were dressed impeccably and the ambience was delightful.Our wine was pre ordered and was already in ice buckets on the table.Nice touch.
The host,introduced himself "Kev Lawrence" and was brilliant .We were kept entertained all evening with party games and a delightful cabaret singer.We were even entertained by a young staff member strutting his stuff on the dance floor.How cool is that?
On to the food mmn mmn!!
The food was delicious.The plates were warm,the taste amazing and the presentation spot on.Well done to all of the kitchen brigade,you nailed it!! Oh,only one teeny thing though,sprouts were too al dente,but it was not an issue.
The toilets also were. kept clean all evening
I would also like to say at this stage that also the service we received throughout our evening was fantastic from the waiter service even through to security, so well done all of you.
Even though it was a busy night for the hotel,bearing in mind there were TWO functions going on at the same time,Mr Chris Brown took the time out to listen to my comments. A lovely Manager who obviously knows his stuff.
Thankyou so much Holiday Inn,Fab time,well worth the money and we will be back with an entourage next year.
Karen Rutterford

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Mrs Rutterford

Thank you so much for your kind comments, I am so pleased to hear you had a good night.
We have worked hard over the years to make our Christmas parties a night to remember, it is great for my team to read the many wonderful comments they get back from the parties and this inspires them to work hard for next year.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back next year, but i suggest you book up early as the bookings are flooding in already.