“Staff were fantastic”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Staff were fantastic”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I booked myself and 20 other fellow business colleagues here as a base-point for a teambuilding event. The staff were brilliant - they could not do enough to help us and I thank them heartly for that, as they made our stay a pleasure.
The hotel itself - the bedroom I was in (rm 201) was lovely - other rooms, as I understand from colleagues, could do with modernising; but all clean. There is a a lovely massive public bar area, but unfortunately we couldn't use that as it was already full of people (football was on!). The other public areas, being an old building, are small and awkwardly laid out for a large party. We made ourself at home in a small bar area and moved the hotel's chairs from room to room to accommodate our needs - the staff willingly helped us do this (held doors open for us & helped us move furniture etc!). The only criticism is the public areas had a lot of 'wildlife' in them (spiders, craneflies, moths, etc) - not the bedrooms, just the public areas. It didn't bother me, but lots of people did comment on it... perhaps that's just old buildings, for you!?

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Amanda M
HaycockManager, General Manager at Haycock Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear Amanda

I was sorry to read that your were unable to use our main bar on the evening of your stay but was delighted to hear that the staff were on hand to accommodate you with an alternative space for the evening.

Our housekeeping team dust the public areas twice a day, however as we are located in a rural area on the banks of the River Nene, we do find that the local wild life has a habit of visiting.

General Manger

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Cowall
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Haycock for 3 nights. The room was great, clean, confortable. Free wifi was a great benefit.
Reception staff could not be more friendly and helpful.Thank you
I would have given 5 * but the young girl in the breakfast lounge made me change my choice. She was far out of her depth. We asked for BROWN toast, and got white and brown. My husband only wanted porridge, we both got porridge. On an other table was white toast requested they got brown.... the tables were not cleared and new guests had to wait till the table was cleared. It was obvious that the young girl was very stressed. This was confirmed by 4 other guests. Another person had to come to clear the tables.But on the whole it was an enjoyable stay and we will return.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
HaycockManager, General Manager at Haycock Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear SmilesM

I would like to appologise for the issues that you encounted during breakfast on your recent stay with us. I have personally conducted training sessions with my breakfast team to ensure that this does not happen again.

As a hotel we were all delighted to see your postive remarks regarding the rooms and reception team.

We all look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

recently went back, used to love calling in on what was an atmospheric 16th century pub. Now just another corporate hotel, bit like any other. Obviously still good atmosphere but hate it when real ale pubs with great locations/gardens become wedding venues with expensive food

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear barry h,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, following your recent visit and I am sorry that the hotel is no longer to your taste. I will however discuss your comments in our next management meeting.

Leicester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I booked a room here primarily because of its location close to an event that we were attending.
Having read the reviews and having kept a close eye on the hotel's Facebook updates, I was really looking forward to our one night here. What a disappointment!

First of all, the car park is a considerable distance from reception and you have to walk through the courtyard to access the main building. Luckily, the weather was dry when we arrived.
Check-in was relatively swift but our room key was temperamental and we had to battle with it for a few minutes.

Once inside our room, it was tiny! The bed pretty much filled it and I had a job to squeeze round to the furthest side of the bed. There was a large cupboard with extra pillows, a fan, iron and board inside which some people may find useful. The bathroom was dreadful. The toilet didn't flush properly - you had to keep pressing the handle until you got it at just the right angle for any water to appear. The bath panel had fallen away from the side of the bath and the sealant around the bath was patchy and mouldy. There was also a hair in the bath which is a massive no-no for me! The window in the bathroom didn't open which I presume accounts for the amount of mould in there. I wanted to complain but my partner didn't want to 'make a fuss' as we were only there for the one night.

I'd been looking forward to taking a walk through the gardens and down to the river as had been posted on their Facebook page. This was a major disappointment as the whole walk took less than 30 seconds! You're unable to walk along the river due to private properties.

Returning after our event, I notice that there are holes in the duvet cover (cigarette burns?) and the pillows were far too soft for my liking - when you put your head on them your head sinks to the bottom and the pillows puff up at either side of your head.
As our room was next to the ladies' toilet I could also hear the hand dryer being used during the night.

We went down for breakfast the following morning and were a little unsure what to do as there was no food in the room. We ended up having to ask the waiter who told us that there was a buffet at the far end of the hotel! Having to carry your food such a distance is ridiculous in my opinion. There were empty rooms around the dining room, so not sure why the food couldn't be presented in one of those?!
I must say that there was a very good choice of items for breakfast. However, the hot food was very greasy - I would prefer to have my sausages and bacon grilled rather than swimming in fat.
I would also prefer to be given a pot of tea rather than having a cup poured for me. We weren't offered a refill so had to call somebody over and ask for one.

To end on a positive, the hotel is located in a very pretty village.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mgal69
Dear mgal69,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am sorry that on this occasion we failed to live up to your expectations.

Due to the age and character of the building all of our rooms vary in size and shape. I would like to thank you for your observations regarding the bathroom, which have been passed directly to my maintenance manager to rectify.

I have spoken to both my head housekeeper and laundry company regarding the poor standard of the duvet cover in the room that you stayed in. If you had informed us that you required a firmer pillow during your stay we would have exchanged the pillows for the firmer ones is the wordrobe.

Finally may I appologise on behalf of our operations team, for the short falls that you encountered at breakfast, unfortuantely on the day of your departure the business in the hotel required us to situate the breakfast buffet in a different room.

Staff training is ongoing process at the Haycock and should you wish to return, please do not hesitate to contact me directly prior to your arrival so that I can personally welcome.

David Moeller

Travellers are raving about these Peterborough hotels

Bourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

As a hotel reception team leader I have regular experience with the Buy a gift vouchers and as a whole find them to be easy to understand and for the customers to use. I am very heavily pregnant (only 1 week to go now!) and thought that it would be a lovely way to start my maternity leave at 36 weeks by having a night away with my fiancee as it could be the last time we were able to before baby arrives. So we looked on the website and decided to book a nights dinner, bed and breakfast stay at the Haycock in Peterborough (close to my hospital!) as it looked fabulous and we are also looking for wedding venues.
The nightmare started when it came to booking in the stay. I had purchased the voucher, had my e-voucher through and called the Haycock to book it. The receptionist who booked it in didn't seem to know much about the Buy a gift scheme and this worried me slightly but we progressed with the booking and all seemed to be okay. A few days later I had not received confirmation so called and had it e-mailed to me. There was a price on the confirmation but it also said 'But a gift voucher' so I assumed this wouldn't be an issue. So I finished work on the Saturday, got home and me and my partner headed to the Haycock. I do have to say, beautiful venue just off of the A1 so great location and easy to find.
We arrived at reception to check in and I handed over a copy of my e-voucher, expecting this to be taken as payment for the room and the only thing that would be left to settle could be an upgrade charge as we had upgraded our room. So we went to our room and settled in. We then decided on a short walk in the grounds before dinner and so got ready and headed out. On passing reception the receptionist called us over to the desk. The same one who had originally made the booking. She seemed very confused about the voucher and proceeded to tell us we would have to pay the difference in cost between the voucher and the usual rate for half board!!! I could not understand why we would have to pay any more for our stay as as far as I was concerned, I had already paid via the Buy a gift voucher. I tried explaining that as a receptionist I dealt with these vouchers every day at my hotel and I had never asked anyone to pay the difference in cost.....otherwise its not much of an offer is it? You would just go directly through the hotel?! We stood debating this for quite some time until my partner could see how upset I was and we said we would deal with it later. As we walked out, I began crying, thinking I was going to have to pay more on top of what I paid for the voucher! We went for dinner and I have to say, the food was amazing!! Top marks to a clearly passionate chef! Service was quick and efficient and I started to cheer up. My mistake. We then walked back past reception only to be collared AGAIN!! and told we would be better off cancelling the voucher and paying in full before we left in the morning. This was getting ridiculous. I just agreed, saying we would sort it tomorrow as was exhausted and was so upset. It completely ruined our last night away before baby's arrival. I was dreading check out. My fiancee went down in the morning and sorted things out so as not to put me under any further stress. We ended up getting a call from the hotel after we had departed informing us they would only charge us the upgrade fee (something that perhaps could have been overlooked considering the experience??)
I have to say that the venue as a whole was lovely. The rooms were very clean and tidy, a true testament to the hardworking housekeeping team! The food was great, as was breakfast and as I was eating for two, I made the most of it!
Its just such a shame that the receptionist didn't seem to know what the offer was or how to process it - and felt the need to hassle us instead of dealing with it behind the scenes and asking for advice which, in my opinion, should have been done before we even arrived! I see that Buy a gift still have the offer running so hope that the receptionist has received the information she needs to process bookings using the vouchers to save anyone else the same experience.

Room Tip: Upgrade from standard - go on, treat yourself!! ;-)
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
HaycockManager, General Manager at Haycock Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear rhobanks,

Thank you for your comments. I am pleased you were satisfied with your stay overall.

However I would like to apologise for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. The vouchers are a new addition to our booking procedures and your comments have helped us to identify training needs within the reception team.

Thank you again for your kind comments. All feedback is greatly appreciated.
kind regards,

Peterborough
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We have just held our wedding at The Haycock and from the first day we looked at the venue 8 months ago to the actual occasion last weekend we have been delighted and overwhelmed by the friendliness , professionalism of everyone at the hotel .
The wedding day went so smoothly and although we are not in the habit of looking for faults, we can honestly say there was not one tiny detail that we were disappointed with.
Thank you for making it the most perfect day for us - the venue , the staff and the food and service were exceptional .
Our particular thanks to Bryony and Ed whose hard work was very much appreciated.
We look forward to coming to many more functions at the Haycock and keeping in touch with you all.
From Henry and Louise Halgarth

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Louise,

Thank you so much for leaving this lovely review of your wedding day.

The hotel has a wonderfully dedicated team who always strive to provide an outstanding professional service from start to finish. I have passed your comments onto the team who were all extremely pleased to hear your big day was perfect.

Please do keep in touch with us as we would love to welcome you both back to the hotel anytime.

Kindest regards,
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We only stayed at the Haycock for one night, to attend a nearby wedding. Unfortunately we had no time to sit around and enjoy the beautiful hotel building (an old coaching inn), or stroll around the gardens or the lovely village. We had a 'classic double' room, in what looked like an old stable block (far back from the road, so quiet), which was spacious and comfortable. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and were able to give us a room three hours before the normal check-in time, which was fantastic (as we had to get ready for the wedding). The breakfast buffet was delicious and had a wide array of choices. My only (minor) criticisms would be that the shower was fixed to the wall and was rather low down, so as a tall person I had to duck down quite a bit to wash my hair and face, and that the walls were a bit on the thin side (we could occasionally hear the plumbing and people talking in the next room or the hall; but fortunately the other guests were not noisy and this never lasted long). We would love to go again for a proper stay!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Ermanaricus,

Thank you for leaving a review of your stay. Although your stay was short and I am pleased to hear that it was enjoyable.
Our breakfast buffet is sourced from local suppliers, ensuring we use the freshest produce so we can offer a wide range of choices for our guests.

I hope you will be able to come back and stay with us in the near future so you can make the most of our beautiful surroundings and learn about the hotels colourful history.

Kindest regards,