“A Great Day and a long night!”
Review of Haycock Hotel

Haycock Hotel
Ranked #17 of 27 Hotels in Peterborough
GreenLeadersBronze level
Middlesborough
“A Great Day and a long night!”
Reviewed 14 January 2009

My Wife and I attended a friends wedding at the haycock last weekend and we had a great time.

The wedding was a complete success and I know that my friends will contact the hotel to pass on their thanks when they return from honeymoon.

We arrived at the hotel early on saturday morning as the ceremony was being held in the hotel as well as the reception. After checking into our beautiful room we had some tea and cakes in the lounge next to the open fire and could of easily stayed there all day, the service from the bar was very swift and very helpful. The lounge is in the old section of the hotel overlooking a courtyard. A very pretty area indeed.

The ceremony room which connected to the reception room looked fantastic, it was clear that a lot of time and effort had been put in to make the ballroom look so stunning. The ballroom is a large modern room with a huge bar. The bar staff were second to none, very friendly with great customer service skills, as a matter of fact we all ended up on first name terms, We were treated as regular customers who popped in for a drink regulary. The meal was gorgeous and the service was extremly professional, the head chef even came out of the kitchen after our desserts to speak to the bride and groom.

After the formalities my wife and I enjoyed several drinks while dancing the night away to a fantastic band, we then moved back through to the old part of the hotel were we enjoyed many more drinks, almost untill sunrise!

All in all it was a great weekend and a wonderful wedding. The haycock clearly are professionals when it comes to weddings, while making you feel that the wedding you are attending is the most important wedding there is. While checking out I passed on my thanks to the duty manager and informed him that my wife and I shall return in the future, and that is exactly what I will do.

• Liked — The staff, the food and the atmosphere
  • Disliked — leaving
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
London
Reviewed 9 January 2009

Oh dear! I used The Haycock for a business meal and stop over for a team mid December. This is not the first time my team and I have used it as its conveniently located to a customer, we have probably spent about £2000 with them between us in 2008 - but clearly this counts for nothing with the management.

A team of 6 stayed this evening and for the first time there were mixed reviews about the rooms, complaints of poor TV's and rooms feeling a bit lacking when you consider what we paid.

The experience culminated in the waitress spilling gravy down 2 of us. We made no fuss, it was a genuine accident. The hotel agreed to dry clean the coat and send it on immediately as it was wanted back before Xmas. After about 6 chase up phone calls the coat finally arrived back on the 6th January - over 3 weeks! - great. On only one occassion did i receive the call back i was promised, each time i spoke to them i got a new person and clearly no one had a clue what was going on and frankly no one seemed to care - but then i had already paid at this point so why would they?

Clearly the General Manager was far too busy to bother with customers, i was refused access to the person on the phone on all occassions and i never received the promised calls back. Still waiting . .

So i have great pleasure in writing this review to be honest. Its a shame, it used to be very good but i have to say its slipped a long way and the management seem not to be so attentive anymore. My team have now moved elsewhere now so The Haycock will be £2k lighter this year. You can get better value for money elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk

Travellers are raving about these Peterborough hotels

lincoln
Reviewed 23 December 2008

My Company decided to organise a small party for the managment, not to big just a meal and some wine with an overnight stay at a nice hotel to celebrate both christmas and the fantastic year we have had. They chose the Haycock, mostly because of its location, on the A1 and pretty much an hours drive for all attending.

When we arrived we were directed to the hotel bar by a very friendly receptionist who advised us that the bar was very busy due to the hotel hosting a large party for multiple companies in another part of the building and another dinner as well as ours. When we got to the bar we were given a warm welcome by the geordie barman, a very pleasent and chatty young man who seemed to enjoy what he does as well as being extremely good at what he does, We had 22 people in our group and he had all our drinks served in under 2 minutes!

Not long later we met the manageress who was looking after our dinner and we were shown to our dinning area, a private room at the front of the hotel which looked stunning even with christmas decorations and crackers. I have been to many hotels in the past where tacky christmas decorations have spoiled decor of the hotel, not on this occasion however.
For the next hour and a half we were treated to some of the best service I have ever experienced. The manager who took care of our party had a small team of 3 staff who poured every glass of wine and every glass of water while serving the 3 course dinner in such a rapid manner, it seemed that we only ever had a empty plate or an emplty spot for a plate in front of us for no more 2 minutes, yet in that 2 minute window the manageress asked each of us "how was the terrine?" or "how was the turkey". Exceptional service! The food was fantastic, considering the kitchen was serving hundreds of these meals all around the hotel. I did comment to the mangeress how good the food was and she seemed to take great pleasure in explaining to me how the team of chefs is managed by one of the best chefs the hotel has ever had. It was at this point I found out that the hotel was hosting parties for 240 people in one room, another 75 people in another, 14 in a private dining room, 50 people in the restaurant from a different menu as well as our private party for 22 people! I was amazed at this and one would expect to see some very tired and stressed staff, however so far I was yet to come across one.

After the meal we stayed in our private room for some time, every few minutes a member of staff would pop in to clear glasses and fetch more drinks. We decided to send the staff away as we were more than capable to walk to the bar to get our own drinks and clear our own glasses. If we didnt do this they would of stayed with us throughout the night just to get us more drinks when we needed them. After all there was another 380 people to worry about else where!

After a very long night with plenty to drink I woke up in my room, a very nice room it was with clearly a lot of thought going in to the decor. I met everbody from my company for breakfast in the restaurant. A large conservatory, very spacious with soft music in the backround, Amazingly some of the staff from the night before were around the hotel along with the manageress from the night before. How do they do it!? Breakfast seemed to be a very enjoyable experiance, unfortunatly I didnt have the stomach to eat anything so I just stuck to coffee. Again the staff were second to none, very friendly and pleasent.

A few hours later I was home, telling my wife about the night at the Haycock. She was suprised, while I was out enjoying myself she was at home looking at the haycock on trip advisor. It seems that not everybody has been happy with the standards or service or both at this hotel. The reviews have been mixed. I had never heard of trip advisor so dismissed what she had to say, I thought she was just jelous so today I have had a look for myself and here I am, for the first time ever, posting a review. Not once throught my stay did I ever feel disappointed with the service or the standards, as a matter of fact I was shocked at the level of service considering what was happening in the hotel that night. It is a stunning hotel, with perfectly able staff serving divine food. I do hope that other people who vist this hotel have just a taster of the service my company and I recived.

• Liked — Great Staff
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
Tonbridge
Reviewed 22 December 2008

Haycock Hotel, Wansford, Peterborough
20th December 2008
Christine Bowden

My husband, myself and a group of friends (15 persons) were invited to celebrate a mutual friend's 60th birthday. Our reception was friendly and efficient, the room & facilities were clean & comfortable. However, the celebratory dinner, previously planned, ordered and paid for by the birthday celebrant was of a mixed selection of good, through acceptable to unacceptable taste, texture and unexplained absences - eg. certain starters did not have the pre-ordered accompaniments; the "rack of lamb" (known to most cooks as a crown of small chops) was presented as bloody, or tough & grisly chunks of meat, and again, either lacking the stated accompaniments such as hollandaise sauce with the beef (tender, but looking like reheated shoe leather - Brake's Brothers Suppliers?) and does the substituted shredded savoy cabbage sound like, or taste like, asparagus or shallots or green beans? And as for breakfast...........!!!

Having had a late night (party night) we arrived in the breakfast room at about 9.45am (breakfast from 8-10am) to find the room very full and fairly soon a waitress took our order and apologised in advance for an anticipated delay in delivering our breakfasts. Whilst waiting we observed some considerable confusion by the waiting staff in knowing where to deliver the ordered breakfasts and then finding the order to be incorrect and the dish having to be returned to the kitchen (this we confirmed by speaking to some of the other diners- a couple who had waited over 30mins for their cooked breakfast only to send them back as they were not the correct order). My husband's smoked haddock with poached egg was floating in a pool of liquid but, having observed the delay, he decided to eat it rather than send it back - it was tasteless & he left most of it, resorting to slightly overdone toast & marmalade instead.

The Duty Manager when advised of this debacle in the breakfast room replied that she'd been advised that most of the overnight clients had come down late - as if this was the fault of the guests! One would expect a large Hotel hosting large celebratory gatherings to expect many guests, having been up late the night before - a Saturday - not to be inclined to arrive for breakfast on Sunday morning at 8am!! (And remember that the hotel staff would have known exactly how many guests were likely to have breakfast that morning and should have been able to judge by 9.30am that they were going to have a rush if they'd not seen many people between 8am & 9.30am!) Under pressure from the friends of the birthday celebrant, our host was subsequently given a refund on the somewhat disappointing celebratory dinner.

If you are looking for a party venue serving high quality food and capable of coping with a late rush for breakfast on a Sunday morning this is not the place for you - try somewhere that has better food & guest management.

I suggest the Management revise their management skills and invest in further training & support for their serving staff, cooks/chefs and food purveyors.

• Liked — comfortable room facilities
  • Disliked — food quality & breakfast service
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank KaterinaTonbridge
UK
Reviewed 21 December 2008

Recently attended a chirstmas party at the Haycock and was amazed that a party for so many people could be carried out so well!! The room was decorated tastefully but in a fun manner, and the food was very impressive, in particular the Chicken Terrine for starter.

I will be recommending the Haycock to my friends and family.

• Liked — The food!!
  • Disliked — loved it all
  • Stayed December 2008
Stamford, Lincs
Reviewed 8 December 2008

I wasn't going to post a review on here, but felt I had to after seeing the comments that the previous reviewer left on Dec 2nd. Also, on the rare occasion that I've had a bad dining experience, I've always been very satisfied with how an establishment has dealt with the issue, and have always left feeling positive and happy to return again. I was part of 'So Sad"'s party on the evening of Saturday November 29th. I would just like to stress that we were a party of four - we were not part of the large party that were celebrating a birthday in the restaurant that evening.
We were in fact, celebrating an engagement, and a birthday, and decided to try the Haycock again as we'd had a lovely dining experience there in November 2006, and have been there for drinks at various times during the summer.
I was surprised at how quiet the lounge area was at 8pm on a Saturday evening. When we were shown through to the restaurant, we were shown to a table in the corner of the room. Even being seated next to an ugly, grubby portable heater did not do anything to warm us up. Neither did not being asked if we would like to see a wine list. Eventually, I went to find a wine list, and then we sat for another long while, as our table was not visited again by staff until our food was brought out. There was a gentleman on duty who brought our food out without any grace or manners - our food was literally plonked down unceremoniously on the table, and when he left, we thought that he must be a new member of staff as he did not appear to have had any training on how to serve correctly at the table.
The food was not hot, it was just about warm. We were so disappointed that we spoke to one of the waitresses about the experience so far. She said she was sorry, and then took our wine order, and duly brought that to us.
By this time, the large party had taken their seats at a table close by to us. We were amazed at how attentive the staff were to the large table, and only wished that we had been given half the service that they received.
By the time we had finished dessert after having to send two of them back to be finished properly, it was about ten o'clock. In the two hours that we were in the restaurant, at no point did a chef make an appearance. We would have noticed him I'm sure, as apart from the large table and us, there were another 3 or 4 tables dining that evening.
So, a disappointing night was had by all four of us. It's a shame, because we had such fond memories of how the Haycock used to be. Given the 'customer service' that we received that evening, I'm sure that the current management won't care a jot that we won't be visiting again.

• Liked — N/A
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Reviewed 2 December 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Haycock the weekend of the 28th of November 2008. We we were joined by four of our friends.
We arrived to check in and was met by a lovely French gentleman on reception. He was so friendly and welcoming and gave us plenty of information. I knew it was going to be a great weekend. We ate in the Brasserie on Friday night and really enjoyed the traditional English food served. The atmosphere was very relaxed and we enjoyed a few bottles of wine. Breakfast was very hearty and I am sure in the summer the view of the lovely gardens is spectacular. After a day out in Stamford we came back to a lovely roaring open fire in the lounge and had a superb afternoon tea it was a perfect end to the day. Our rooms were beautiful. all different and very special, it felt such a special treat to have a four poster bed. On Saturday night we ate in the Orchards restaurant and it was fantastic, the food was delicious and looked too good to eat when it was presented, very artistic! The Chef came out to speak to people, which was a lovely gesture and the staff were so friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. The only negative comment I have is about the large table who were celebrating a birthday, they were rude and disruptive and the poor staff tried their best to please them but couldn't. We had sunday lunch before we travelled home that afternoon and I have to say it was so reasonably priced and very plentiful and delicious. For a special treat or just a lovely relaxing time you cannot beat the Haycock and I certainly will be returning in the New Year.

• Liked — Great Food, Total relaxation and great atmosphere. Lovely bedrooms and great staff
  • Disliked — Leaving it!
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peterborough
Best Western Plus Peterborough Orton Hall Hotel & Spa
The William Cecil at Stamford
Bell Inn Stilton
Bell Inn Stilton
#3 of 27 in Peterborough

Been to Haycock Hotel? Share your experiences!