“Just what I wanted when away on business” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bull Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Bull Hotel
Ranked #9 of 29 Hotels in Peterborough
Vancouver, Canada
“Just what I wanted when away on business”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

The bull hotel has been recommended, so I thought I would give it ago, and I have to admit, as I pulled into the car cark my heart sunk - it looked a state.

Walked in to the hotel though and everything felt better, quite lush surroundings, feeling more like a boutique hotel.

Had a room in the executive wing (the corridors to the other rooms did look more shabby) and it was perfect, nice large bed, big flat screeen TV, trouser press, iron - and the best part for me, a nice big desk and offfice chair. It made quickly catching up on emails from the day a doddle on the free wifi.

Bathroom was very tasteful, nice tiles and a shower with good pressure.

Individual room air con meant I was very comfortable.

Breakfast was OK - you are served at the buffet, but the member of staff who was on was quite stingy with portions, and quite honestly looked like she would launch the food at me if I asked for more - not much of a cold offering.

Check out was nice and simple - and this would now be my first choice of hotel if staying in Peterborough on business again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PeterboroughAprice, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Dear Andrew W,
Thank you for your review, I am not too sure what you mean when you say, your heart sunk when you entered the carpark, if you mean is the carpark like any other city centre hotel carpark, then I think I get your drift.
I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and experienced our very unique hotel.
I am glad that we will in future be your first choice when staying in Peterborough, and look forward very much to welcoming you back very soon.

Alan Price

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Spalding, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

We celebrated my grandmothers 90th birthday in the Restaurant on 7/6/13, from the moment we arrived till the moment we left we was treated like royalty, nothing was too much trouble for everyone, all the staff were friendly, the food excellent, and Dining service first class, I had spoken to the events team and explained I required wheelchair access. Ramps were in place when we arrived providing a stress free visit and access to all areas. We were certainly impressed and will visit again. Many thanks to Everyone at the Bull Hotel you made a very Special Lady have a Very Special Day.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear trinnyK,
I was thrilled that the arrangements made for your Grandmothers 90th birthday last Friday were so well received, and thank you too, for taking the time to write not only on here, but directly to us here in expression of this.
My staff and I are truly delighted that in some way, we were able to establish a wonderful time for you and your family.
We hope to see you again very soon.

UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2013

It is a nice hotel, looks great from the outside and having an expensive and pub restaurant within makes it convenient to stay.
Good bits:
Nice decor, OK staff, range of breakfast, good television, food looks great in the expensive restaurant, near to city centre.
Bad bits:
Food in the expensive restaurant is bland, two out of three times I got cold steamed vegetables as a side, puddings look great but tastes worse than an average supermarket one.
Breakfast isn't good, stayed there for almost a month and had burned toast nearly every time (it was good 3 times), they charge for specials (Egg Benedict) while all the other similar hotels (Best Western, Marriot, both much better) providing the same for free. Pastries are cold, service is slow and not very friendly. A couple of times I had to give up on my poached egg order as it had not arrived within 20 minutes.
Rooms are OK, I liked them except the freezing floor of the bathroom, not insulated from underneath where the open car park is. It's a big issue during the winter as you just don't want to go into the bathroom and must keep the door closed all the time or the heating will not be sufficient. Towel heater only works when the light is on in the bathroom which means fan is on and makes it too noisy (and still cold floor). Couldn't sleep first night because of large fan noise, complained next morning and they said "oh, we forgot to turn it off". That was fine after that but call reception immediately and don't wait for them to be "proactive".
Rooms are looking over brick walls nearby, I'm not sure if there are any rooms with view, I only stayed on the first floor and that was a bit grim.
And to say so I would have overlooked and wouldn't complained about any of these if the management and restaurant staff would somehow apologetic when dealing with customers.
Friend of mine stayed with us, moved into his the room, unpacked, turned the heating on. He realized in an hour or so that the radiator won't be able to heat up the room, went down to reception who gave him a new room. This (and all of my dealing with them) would have been OK if the management acknowledge their shortcomings and would say "sorry". Unfortunately in this hotel you are "only" the paying guest and they are the "bosses".
I wouldn't recommend to stay here.

Room Tip: Do not pick a room on the first floor above the car park in the winter season: bad design means that...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
PeterboroughAprice, at Bull Hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Dear Antras,
That was really very kind of you, we are delighted with your feedback which is a very welcome reward for our efforts, and which I will gladly pass on to the whole team.
Now that you have found us, I look forward to welcoming you back on many more occasions.

Alan M Price
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

I've stayed in this hotel on several occasions and it's a wonderful place, full of character and charm. Restaurant is really good and service is excellent. The rooms are very comfortable, if a bit on the small side at times, but comfortable beds and very clean. No air conditioning makes the smaller double rooms a bit of a challenge - I'd ask for a desk fan in the summer if I stayed at that time. Lives up to the 4* rating easily.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PeterboroughAprice, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2013
Dear prestongirl62,
You are very kind, and we are very pleased that you enjoyed your most recent stay with us.
Over fifty per cent of our rooms are equipped with air conditioning, and just a thought, you may wish to upgrade next time to one of these rooms.
We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Nottingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

Clean and comfortable with quality decor. A decent breakfast although service a little slow as one person was serving a buffet with quite a queue! Pleasant reception staff, keen to please.
The rooms are a bit dated now but adds to the character! Lots of noise in the night unfortunately.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Susie101,
Thank you for your review, I am glad that you had a pleasant stay. We are constantly upgrading our bedroom facilities, and trust that if space is an issue that you may wish to upgrade to one of our larger rooms on the next visit. I am sorry, that on this occasion there was some street noise from the front aspect of the hotel, this can on occasions be an issue to just a small number of rooms, and it may be worth remembering to when arranging your next stay, to request a quieter room.
We do of course look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Wilmington, null, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

The hotel has a very good location right in the heart of Peterborough city centre. Our executive wing room was very nice, spacious, clean with all the mod cons you'd expect and we had a pleasant nights sleep. Staff are very friendly and the wedding reception room was beautifully decorated. Shame there isn't any outside space as Sunday was a fantastic spring day with the sun shining and it would have been nice to have a drink in the fresh air. Only downside to our visit was after checking in when we discovered that our room wasn't ready-hadn't been serviced since the previous occupants had left. Reception handled the issue very well and sent us to the bar whilst another room was found. This room was fine just a shame about the approach to it being littered with dirty laundry and cleaning materials at 15:45pm. Also we weren't best pleased about being woken by House Keeping at 09:15am the next morning to clean our room!!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
PeterboroughAprice, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Dear Andrea A,
Thank you for your review, which falls into two halves.
Firstly, I am delighted that you enjoyed the evening reception that you attended, and naturally sorry that at present, we did not have any exterior seating available on the only balmy evening so far this year.
I am also sorry too, for the problems that you experienced as a result of a late group checking out at 3pm on th day of your arrival, this did hamper us slightly, but I am very pleased that our receptionist on duty dealt with the situation well. I shall also speak to our room attendant regarding her zealousness in wanting to clean the room so early.

Regards,

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

We have stayed at the Bull Hotel for the last three years as we attend a once a year event at the East of England Showground. The staff are always friendly, very helpful and efficient. It is based on one of the main streets of Peterborough and you could quite easily walk past it. But once through the main doors what a contrast - it is like walking back in time but everywhere is comfortable and cosy - even the bar area.
Food is always very good both at breakfast and for evening meals - with just enough choice so you don't spend ages dithering between one dish or the next. Choices of wine are good too.
The rooms are comfortable with everything you could need including ironing board and iron - have had a different room each time and each one has been quiet, tidy and clean.
We will back next year.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Footloose,
This really was a pleasure to read, and I cannot thank you enough.
Thank you for your encouragement, and we will share your review with our team members at one of our next briefing sessions.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back very soon.