“No Bull, this hotel is top class”
Review of Bull Hotel

Bull Hotel
Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Peterborough
Hamilton, Scotland, United Kingdom
“No Bull, this hotel is top class”
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Stayed for a week for business.
Great location for town centre.
Restaurant great, good service and good choice of food.
Rooms are outstanding, robes, nice toiletries, huge bed, 5 star class.
Bar was superb, got in late AM from work and had top criac with barman and super choice of drinks.
Breakfast one of best I've had on my travels.
10 out of 10, loved it.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
PeterboroughAprice, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2013
Dear C_R_JLP,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel, and we are all really pleased with your comments. We constantly strive to improve every aspect of the experience that we provide, a task which is made all the more worthwhile when our gusts respond to our efforts so positively. Thank you again, and we hope it will not be too long before we have the pleasure of looking after you again.

Alan Price

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I have been staying here when on business for over 12 years and the guys here are always friendly and helpful. Rooms are great and the location is central to everything you need. Well done guys keep it up.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Hookskevin,
Many thanks for your excellent review, we are all very pleased that you have enjoyed your most recent stay with us, and delighted that you continue to do so after twelve years. Our staff will be very pleased with you feedback when we discuss this at one of our briefing sessions and will share with me in looking forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 10 June 2013

The bull hotel has been recommended, so I thought I would give it ago, and I have to admit, as I pulled into the car cark my heart sunk - it looked a state.

Walked in to the hotel though and everything felt better, quite lush surroundings, feeling more like a boutique hotel.

Had a room in the executive wing (the corridors to the other rooms did look more shabby) and it was perfect, nice large bed, big flat screeen TV, trouser press, iron - and the best part for me, a nice big desk and offfice chair. It made quickly catching up on emails from the day a doddle on the free wifi.

Bathroom was very tasteful, nice tiles and a shower with good pressure.

Individual room air con meant I was very comfortable.

Breakfast was OK - you are served at the buffet, but the member of staff who was on was quite stingy with portions, and quite honestly looked like she would launch the food at me if I asked for more - not much of a cold offering.

Check out was nice and simple - and this would now be my first choice of hotel if staying in Peterborough on business again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
PeterboroughAprice, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Dear Andrew W,
Thank you for your review, I am not too sure what you mean when you say, your heart sunk when you entered the carpark, if you mean is the carpark like any other city centre hotel carpark, then I think I get your drift.
I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and experienced our very unique hotel.
I am glad that we will in future be your first choice when staying in Peterborough, and look forward very much to welcoming you back very soon.

Spalding, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2013

We celebrated my grandmothers 90th birthday in the Restaurant on 7/6/13, from the moment we arrived till the moment we left we was treated like royalty, nothing was too much trouble for everyone, all the staff were friendly, the food excellent, and Dining service first class, I had spoken to the events team and explained I required wheelchair access. Ramps were in place when we arrived providing a stress free visit and access to all areas. We were certainly impressed and will visit again. Many thanks to Everyone at the Bull Hotel you made a very Special Lady have a Very Special Day.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear trinnyK,
I was thrilled that the arrangements made for your Grandmothers 90th birthday last Friday were so well received, and thank you too, for taking the time to write not only on here, but directly to us here in expression of this.
My staff and I are truly delighted that in some way, we were able to establish a wonderful time for you and your family.
We hope to see you again very soon.

UK
Reviewed 6 June 2013

It is a nice hotel, looks great from the outside and having an expensive and pub restaurant within makes it convenient to stay.
Good bits:
Nice decor, OK staff, range of breakfast, good television, food looks great in the expensive restaurant, near to city centre.
Bad bits:
Food in the expensive restaurant is bland, two out of three times I got cold steamed vegetables as a side, puddings look great but tastes worse than an average supermarket one.
Breakfast isn't good, stayed there for almost a month and had burned toast nearly every time (it was good 3 times), they charge for specials (Egg Benedict) while all the other similar hotels (Best Western, Marriot, both much better) providing the same for free. Pastries are cold, service is slow and not very friendly. A couple of times I had to give up on my poached egg order as it had not arrived within 20 minutes.
Rooms are OK, I liked them except the freezing floor of the bathroom, not insulated from underneath where the open car park is. It's a big issue during the winter as you just don't want to go into the bathroom and must keep the door closed all the time or the heating will not be sufficient. Towel heater only works when the light is on in the bathroom which means fan is on and makes it too noisy (and still cold floor). Couldn't sleep first night because of large fan noise, complained next morning and they said "oh, we forgot to turn it off". That was fine after that but call reception immediately and don't wait for them to be "proactive".
Rooms are looking over brick walls nearby, I'm not sure if there are any rooms with view, I only stayed on the first floor and that was a bit grim.
And to say so I would have overlooked and wouldn't complained about any of these if the management and restaurant staff would somehow apologetic when dealing with customers.
Friend of mine stayed with us, moved into his the room, unpacked, turned the heating on. He realized in an hour or so that the radiator won't be able to heat up the room, went down to reception who gave him a new room. This (and all of my dealing with them) would have been OK if the management acknowledge their shortcomings and would say "sorry". Unfortunately in this hotel you are "only" the paying guest and they are the "bosses".
I wouldn't recommend to stay here.

Room Tip: Do not pick a room on the first floor above the car park in the winter season: bad design means that...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
PeterboroughAprice, at Bull Hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Dear Antras,
That was really very kind of you, we are delighted with your feedback which is a very welcome reward for our efforts, and which I will gladly pass on to the whole team.
Now that you have found us, I look forward to welcoming you back on many more occasions.

Alan M Price
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2013

I've stayed in this hotel on several occasions and it's a wonderful place, full of character and charm. Restaurant is really good and service is excellent. The rooms are very comfortable, if a bit on the small side at times, but comfortable beds and very clean. No air conditioning makes the smaller double rooms a bit of a challenge - I'd ask for a desk fan in the summer if I stayed at that time. Lives up to the 4* rating easily.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
PeterboroughAprice, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2013
Dear prestongirl62,
You are very kind, and we are very pleased that you enjoyed your most recent stay with us.
Over fifty per cent of our rooms are equipped with air conditioning, and just a thought, you may wish to upgrade next time to one of these rooms.
We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Nottingham
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Clean and comfortable with quality decor. A decent breakfast although service a little slow as one person was serving a buffet with quite a queue! Pleasant reception staff, keen to please.
The rooms are a bit dated now but adds to the character! Lots of noise in the night unfortunately.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Susie101,
Thank you for your review, I am glad that you had a pleasant stay. We are constantly upgrading our bedroom facilities, and trust that if space is an issue that you may wish to upgrade to one of our larger rooms on the next visit. I am sorry, that on this occasion there was some street noise from the front aspect of the hotel, this can on occasions be an issue to just a small number of rooms, and it may be worth remembering to when arranging your next stay, to request a quieter room.
We do of course look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.