“Good Weekend Getaway” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 29 Hotels in Peterborough
York, United Kingdom
“Good Weekend Getaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

Stayed at the Bull Hotel 7 to 9 March for a weekend getaway. Very easy access, we arrived by train and walked the 10 minutes through the shopping centre to the hotel.

Plenty of shops within walking distance and of course a superb Cathedral. took the train to Cambridge on the Saturday, good connections.

Had DB&B and the food was very good and staff very attentive. I would recommend this hotel for a weekend trip and we shall have a repeat visit in the future.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
PeterboroughAprice, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear Alan M,
Thank you for your very kind review, we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us at the hotel and very much look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Alan M Price

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Peterborough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

We thought that we would treat our daughter and her partner to afternoon tea at the Bull Hotel, this is meant to be a pleasurable experience but instead it turned out to be an expensive rip-off! We arrived about 3.30pm so only half an hour after afternoon tea started. Firstly there were lots of tables which hadn't been cleared, we were seated at a table which clearly hadn't been wiped properly after asking someone did. We all ordered afternoon tea when it arrived it was just dumped on the table and the scones were tiny. There was also a selection of very heavy cakes and not the patisseries advertised on the menu. We had to ask a member of staff twice why this was only to be told "that's the way the scones have turned out today" I explained that we weren't happy and asked to speak to a manager. However no manager arrived so we asked again and then we were told that he was busy setting up for a function!! After we had paid the manager did show-up only for him to say "sorry about that" for 4 afternoon teas and 2 cokes the bill came to £47 not value for money and not very nice either?

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Martin B
PeterboroughAprice, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Martin B,
Thank you for your review, and I was a little disappointed myself to read your comments.
It is true that as a very popular and busy venue, we were very busy on the day that you visited, particularly at the crucial 1 to 3 pm time period.
It is a fact that due to demand, we commence serving afternoon tea before we have even stopped serving lunches, particularly at weekends, and unfortunately, you joined us, just as a large number of people had left. Our service staff know that they are then required to refresh the dining area in order to allow more people to use our facilities. This they did in the minimum amount of time required to ensure that the standard of our presentation is maintained.
I was obviously sorry to hear of your comments regarding the afternoon tea, which is so untypical of the feedback that we receive. I looked at your attached photographs, and then I looked again at the empty plates, which made me think, not all bad then, and at £10.95 is exceptional in it's quality as well as content.
I would assure you that we consider all feedback good or bad, and will, where necessary improve every aspect of our performance for the benefit of our future guests.

Kings Lynn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

Me and my partner stayed here recently to get away from everything for a couple of nights, we didn't want to go too far (we live in Norfolk) and thought Peterborough was a good choice as we like a bit of shopping ans this hotel was opposite the entrance to the queensgate shopping centre. It's a gorgeous old building and the staff were so welcoming. We arrived a little early so Sat in the bar for a drink while we waited, the bar area is fantastic it's so cosy and comfortable you could easily sit there all day long. We checked in at 2pm and was told how to find our room. The room was very large and comfortable with a double bed, desk with chair, table and chair a big wardrobe a fantastic bathroom and a big tv. We loved it, I was so light and clean. We had a lovely stay and slept very well. Breakfast was amazing, we enjoyed a big breakfast and there was so much available, the staff were so friendly and couldn't do enough for you. We will defiantly stay here again.

1 Thank Megan L
PeterboroughAprice, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Megan L,
Thank you for your very kind review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that all aspects of your stay were to your complete satisfaction.
We very much look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

We had a lovely Christmas party meal however four people didn't get any vegetables and the staff were so busy we couldn't get anyone's attention which let it down majorly. However the food we did get was very nice and the atmosphere was good too. Just need to work on the staff a bit.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Burgess 667,
Thank you for your review, I am disappointed that for whatever reason our service staff did not serve everyone in attendance with vegetables, and regret that this was not brought to our attention at the time, enabling us to rectify this immediately.
I am however very please that in the main the food served was to our normally high standards. Please rest assured that I will make a note of this, and your comments will indeed assist us greatly when planning this years Christmas program later this year.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

I was in town for the rather dull task of renewing my passport in an emergency and needed somewhere to stay. I paid little attention to the hotel I booked (through a last minute booking site) and headed off for the night away from London.

On arrival I realized very quickly just how nice a place I had stumbled upon.

It is an old staging house (I think!) but is clearly very well looked after and is immediately welcoming and architecturally beautiful. Almost like an old stately home or castle.

The staff on arrival were incredibly helpful and made me feel very welcome, I was even upgraded to a bigger room as it was a quiet night in the hotel.

The food was lovely, I ate in the restaurant area downstairs. Kind of a gourmet pup food fusion... very good food and very good portions!

I didn't get to see any of Peterborough, but should you be planning a trip there I would heartily recommend The Bull.

10 out of 10

Room Tip: I was on the first floor overlooking the street, but it was perfectly quiet all night.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PeterboroughAprice, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear Simon M,
Thank you for your brilliant review which I very much enjoyed reading and will also enjoy sharing with our excellent staff.
I am really pleased that you enjoyed staying in our lovely hotel, an I am very grateful to you for posting your sentiments on Tripadvisor.
I do hope that it will not be too long before we have the very real pleasure of welcoming you back.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

Just got back from our lovely weekend stay. Me and my hubby had a happy stay here. No complaints from us. lovely location if like us you wish to shop and dine out. Thank you for a great stay. If we should come back to Peterborough we will stay with you again x

Room Tip: We had room 147 which was at the back of the hotel. we asked for a quite room, which is what we got...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PeterboroughAprice, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear gillybabe 153,
Thank you for your lovely review which was a pleasure to read, we are so glad that you had such a great stay with us and we very much hope to see you again very soon.

Alan Price
Felsham, null, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

Stayed in Peterborough for a relaxing/romantic weekend. We got more than we expected for our money at the Bull Hotel. The experience was very enjoyable. The hotel is very clean and quiet and the staff is phenomenal. Very friendly, the restaurant has amazing food with a very romantic atmosphere but without the high prices. Highly recommend this hotel!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
PeterboroughAprice, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Cheyenne B,
Thank you for your very kind review, and we are all very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us last weekend.
We really hope to see you again very soon.

Alan Price