“Average”

Ranked #7 of 27 Hotels in Peterborough
Woking, United Kingdom
“Average”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The location of this hotel is really good. I've stayed in a lot of 4* hotels in UK and I wouldn't describe this one as 4*. I can compare the rooms in executive and normal wing. My review is for classic double. The room 104 especially bathroom definitely needs a renovation. The bathroom was cold with noisy and not working ventilation, non effective heating rail (it works only when the light was turn on), there was black granting and green limescale head shower, the bath curtain with the sign of mildew. The card style keys often haven't worked and had to be reset at the reception.
The breakfast was OK, but the sfaff were not bothered to add more food even when I asked for more fruit or croissant.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
PeterboroughAprice, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
ErikaMG,
Thank you for your review, and it is disappointing that you did not share your experiences with us at the time, enabling us to take positive steps whilst you were here to improve the quality of your stay.
I shall communicate your feedback at our next staff briefing and ensure that where applicable the necessary improvements are made to our performance.
I hope that this recent experience will not deter you from staying with us on some future occasion, and hope that we will see you again in the future.

Alan Price

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights, 23-25 April on BB & EM using one of the Peel hotels pre-paid Gold vouchers. We were allocated an executive room on the first floor. The room had recently been refurbished and had a work station (desk/chair) with modern furniture and flat screen TV, fridge and tea/coffee facilities. The hotel originally dates back quite sometime and maintains many of the original features with a modern twist, the main restaurant is a fine example of mixing classic and modern and really is something to experience. The food was very good both dinner and breakfast and the staff (mainly European) were very pleasant and efficient.
The hotel has a great location in the town centre with free parking. Walk straight out of the front door of the hotel and across the street and you have a Victorian arcade lined with individual shops which leads onto the smart new shopping centre to your right and the stunning Cathedral to your left. A great few days spent in Peterborough and the Bull hotels 4 stars are well deserves.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Derek L
PeterboroughAprice, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Derek L,
Thank you for your very kind review, and we are really please that you enjoyed your stay. For sure, our Gold Bar promotion does offer exceptional value for money, and I am sure that we will see you again very soon.

Regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My compnay booked me a standard room at the Bull Hotel, Peterborough as I was attending a course being held at the hotel. Firstly the car park situated at the rear of the hotel was great to have as many city centre hotels don't have a car park and enter into some arrangement with a local NCP which is often not that near. The room I was allocated was lovely and clean. Wifi worked well and there was plenty of light in the room to allow e to work. The conference room, service and food offered was fresh, immanginative and bountiful.
After a good nights sleep and a hearty breakfast I had no complaints.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear NGER14,
Many thanks for your really kind review. This is very encouraging to all who work here, to know that their efforts have been appreciated and enjoyed by you. Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your experiences whilst in our care and we very much look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Regards,
Skipton
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I decided to treat my elderly mother in law to afternoon tea. Food and service was good but the cakes were bland. The scone was lacking any fruit.

As far as afternoon tea go it was good value for the money £10.95 per person.

The staff were very accommodating in placing out a ramp for a wheelchair.

On paying our bill (over £41) we attended at reception to hand in our car park ticket and was politely informed that we had to pay any charge as we were not residents.

We left the hotel paid the extortionate £3 and drove away.

Next time we visit Peterborough we would be reluctant to visit the Bull for afternoon tea.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
PeterboroughAprice, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Birdie2boy,
Thank you for your review, and I am grateful to you for your positive comments regarding the afternoon tea that you had with us on this occasion.
I would however, confirm that it has never been the case that we provide free car parking, the only exception to this policy are those that are resident guests of the hotel.
As you are aware, car parking in Peterborough is at a premium, and like any other hotel in the city, the operators of our car park make a minimal charge for it's use. We also take this matter into account when we price our various products, in order that we may remain competitive. I am sure that you agree that £10.95 for afternoon tea, given the standard to which it is prepared, served and in these unique surroundings, does represent excellent value for money.
I do hope that you may reconsider, and that we shall have the pleasure of seeing you again soon.

newmaldenfamily
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I stayed 1 night at The Bull on business recently. The first room I was allocated smelt very strongly of cigarette smoke so I asked to move - which they did without any fuss.
The rooms (well the 2 I saw) are quite small and dark as its an old building with small windows. The bathroom was pretty standard (certainly not luxurious) but the shower runs from the bath taps and had my pet hate: a fabric shower curtain which sticks to you when you shower. Why Bull hotel, why?
The bed was a small double (would have been too small if there were 2 of us), but comfortable.
The wifi didn't work for an hour or so - turns out reception had given me the wrong password - but they were prompt in trying to fix it before we discovered the receptionists mistake. This was a critical error for a me as a business guest as I lost an hours valuable working time. There's also nowhere comfortable to work. I had to clear the dressing table and use that. Given that they didn't seem that busy (it was a Tuesday) they might have thought about moving me to the 'executive' wing after the wifi fiasco - which I didn't realise existed until I was leaving. Given I paid £110 for b&b it wouldn't have hurt to do that.
I didn't use the restaurant but had room service and have to say the triple cooked chips were fantastic! Breakfast was good too, with plenty of variety.
The location is excellent as its right in the heart of the City and they have free parking for hotel guests, although it wouldn't take my ticket on exit and the help button doesn't work! So I called the hotel from my car and someone came out to open the gate for me!
Would I stay here again? Maybe. But it wasn't a great experience and is quite expensive for what it is - I paid £111 for a double room B&B. It would benefit from a face lift to brighten it up a bit and the bathrooms definitely need updating (at the very least get rid of the fabric shower curtain!).
Finally, I'd say it's a 3.5 star rather than the 4 star it claims to be.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
PeterboroughAprice, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear newmaldenfamily,
Thank you for your review, I am naturally very sorry that you r recent experience was not all that we work towards achieving. I would like to assure you that your comments will be shared with all staff at one of our team briefings and used positively to make improvements where possible.
Thank you for taking the time to communicate your experiences to me.

London
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

I travel extensively for business. My first time at the Bull. I had stipulated a room with desk space. I am paying £97 a night b&b. The room on the second floor (no lift) had no desk space. I was moved to an executive room in another wing on the second floor (no lift). Small desk. But no storage. True, there is a wardrobe with a shelf above the hangers. But the shelf is entirely occupied by the spare blanket. Where to put underwear, folded items, casual clothes etc? There are no drawers or other shelves anywhere. I'm here for 5 days and will have to live out of a suitcase (no suitcase stand or storage).

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
PeterboroughAprice, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Peterg,
I was really sorry to read that we did not fulfill your expectations of us on your recent visit, and hope sincerely that if you have the opportunity to visit Peterborough again in the future that you will not just give up on us, and give us another chance. Please be assured that your experiences are not typical and I hope that we will have the pleasure of seeing you again very soon when we hope that we may demonstrate this to you.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed here on 2 different nights in the past week, one en route to holidays and one on the return. as it is very convenient for the station.
We have stayed here before, and remembered it as a lovely hotel.

We arrived the first night and were offered porterage as there is no lift, it being an old building., but the second arrival evening we had to struggle up the stairs ourselves,and as elderly people , we found this hard. also the taxi for morning for the station hadn't been booked , fortunately we had allowed for that eventuality. and the girl on reception in the morning was very helpful and efficient and soon got us one
The rooms this time were not the same as we had previously, the en suite was tiny, and around the bath taps was squalid, thick green/black goo, it had taken a long time to get that way. Although the rest of the area was clean.

The bedroom itself was dark and dingy and the carpet looked like it could do with a good clean. Noise from outside like a machine going, made getting to sleep difficult.
But spotless white bedding makes up for a lot.

We went to the restaurant in the evening, and were treated really well and the food was excellent, unfortunately I was feeling unwell, and we had to leave the table sharply.

Still feeling unwell the next morning, we didn't manage to have the prepaid breakfast, which we remember from previous visits as being very good.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple