“Very nice hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 29 Hotels in Peterborough
Texas
“Very nice hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

The staff at reception were very kind and helpful. My room was pleasantly purple decorated and was perfect for me, and it overlooked the main street.

Had dinner in the restaurant area for my birthday, the waiters weren't very attentive, however, the dinner itself was nice. I decided to just get room service instead of eating down there again by myself.

Only downside to having a room overlooking the street was at night, it had gotten really rowdy and kept me up. Wandered downstairs and noticed an employee at the door, so I suppose I shouldn't have been too worried about it.

Overall, was a good visit, and if I ever go back to Peterborough, I would definitely stay at this hotel again. Very much worth their stars.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front facing main street can get pretty noisy.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PeterboroughAprice, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear JulienneCS,
Thank you very much for your kind words, and I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.
I do hope that should you have a need to visit Peterborough again, that you will choose to stay with us.
Alan Price

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

I stayed for several nights on business. Great Executive double room quiet and comfortable. It was just a shame about the Breakfast experience. Staff were pleasant, but not very efficient, kept having to chase the coffee and toast on each day. The selection of the Full English Breakfast was good however this was let down by the fact that the food was poor from the armour plated bacon to the fact that most of the hot food was tepid at best and cold at worst. In fact on the last day I drove to a local garden centre Dobbies were I had a Good Breakfast for half the price.

Room Tip: executive rooms at the back are quiet
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
PeterboroughAprice, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
hunterj 1957,
Thank you for your review and your kind comments regarding the hotel. however the comments that you have made regarding breakfast are a great surprise as your description differs greatly from the more typical comments made on this site. Perhaps it was the price that you had some difficulty with, we source local sausages, bacon, and eggs, and as I have said before, we have pay slightly more to the local suppliers for these, and in turn do pass some of this cost on to our guests.I certainly believe that the quality we offer sets us apart from our competitors as we certainly do not provide a £5.99 breakfast such as the one provided in the local garden centres, and motorway service stations nearby, but then, we never set out to do so.

Thank you for letting us know your feedback.

Torquay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

Not the usual type of hotel I would choose, but was very convenient to where I needed to be.

Has its own car park which is free to use, and was allowed to stay there for a couple of hours after checking out whilst I was on business in the town.

Hotel has a very rustic and old fashioned feel about the place. Bar area is very pleasant, lots of wing back chairs and comfy sofas, so a great place to relax with a drink.

Food was generally very good, the beef & pork burger especially was very nice, though I did find the pate starter to have a very salty taste to it. Breakfast was fine with the usual choice you'd expect of hot and cold offerings.

The room was fine, though may upgrade for a bit more space next time if I stay there again (only had standard room this time), wouldn't describe it as small, it would pass the cat-swinging test, but I would prefer a bit more space if I had to work in there for a bit. Was clean and tidy, though as some have pointed out it is warm and the fans don't do much to cool it down even with the window open. Also being above the car park and in a walled area, any noise does seem to echo and be enhanced so you are well aware of any cars or people coming through.

Staff were helpful and courteous at all times.

Overall very good stay and on the list for a revisit if I am in Peterborough again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
Dear ChrisW178,
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us, and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on some future occasion.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

The Bull Hotel is an excellent hotel in the centre of Peterborough. It's not like other hotels in Peterborough from the usual chains. It has character and charm.

The staff are friendly and extremely efficient.

I stay at this hotel regularly and I am rarely disappointed.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
PeterboroughAprice, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
John ,
Thank you for your kind review, and we are delighted that you enjoy staying with us. We do try to be different from the rest, and thank you for acknowledging this. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Alan M Price
Bracknell, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Really nice hotel. Good parking and nice to be in the city centre.
Room was very nice and clean, great to have aircon! The only one slight issue was that we couldn't get through to anyone at reception for room service so ended up walking down. But that was really no big deal.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
cece 520,
Thank you for your review, I am really pleased that you had a good stay with us, however sorry that you had a problem attempting to get through to our room service department, we have had problems with our switchboard, and this will be replaced soon, thereby eliminating this problem.
I am glad that this will not deter you from staying with us again.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed for one night in room 162 the room was clean but so hot as was the corridor the staff who were working up the were dripping in sweat we couldn't sleep just laid on the bed with a fan on us at £72 we expected more

• Stayed August 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Gillmacbryde
Gillmacbryde,
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, following your recent stay, which has been duly noted.
It was exceptionally hot weather that we were experiencing at the time of your stay, perhaps with the benefit of hindsight, it may have been worthwhile for you to have upgraded to one of our rooms equipped with full air conditioning.
I do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

I booked afternoon tea at the Bull hotel for my wife and I to mark our 5th wedding anniversary. Being a Peterborough native I am very familiar with the Bull and have been there several times for meals and celebrations. We arrived 15 minutes early and greeted by a smiling receptionist who invited us to sit on the sumptuously comfortable sofa in the bar. We were collected promptly and taken to a romantic table for two. The staff are very responsive, polite and attentive. They do not feel rushed or harassed like I have experienced at similar hotels and this engenders a personalised service.

The Bull has a choice of Traditional and Savoury afternoon teas all served on high quality crockery and silverware. Being a traditionalist and liking cake we opted for the former. There is a wide selection of sandwiches so some thinking time may be required. The scones were warm and crumbly just the way I like them and the cream fresh and smooth. Amongst the miniature deserts included a slice of Belgium chocolate torte. It was so dark and rich I savoured every mouthful.

To give some context about how good this experience was, my wife and I have made special trips to Harrogate for afternoon tea at Betties. The Bull had its work cut out for it compared to what is arguably the best afternoon tea in Britain. Without disrespect, Betties has just lost its top spot for me.

I encourage you to sample the exceptional service, quality and surroundings of the Bull. For a city centre hotel it has the feel and style of a country retreat.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Geekzilla
PeterboroughAprice, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
GeekZilla,
Thank you very much for your lovely review, praise indeed.
We are all very pleased with your comments and very grateful to you for posting your thoughts which are greatly appreciated.

Thank you again.