“Really good Lamb dishes”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Banyan Tree

The Banyan Tree
Ranked #12 of 422 Restaurants in Peterborough
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
UK
“Really good Lamb dishes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

I have eaten here half a dozen times and always enjoyed the food. The Lamb dishes are very good, especially the Biryani. Interesting pickle tray and the King Prawn starters tempted me more than once.

Peterborough
“Worst I've eaten in a long while.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Having been to their Werrington restaurant numerous times ,I thought I would try the city location. Big mistake , I can't believe how very different they are. The only way I can describe them is that Werrington is the a la carte and city is pub grub version. The curries when they arrived had a darkened skin on top as though they had just come out of the micro wave and the source tasted like it had come from a jar and quite tasteless. The rice was ok but then that's rice. At over £7 each for the curries I did expect a bit more taste. But live and learn.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank BottellDM
Dinesh O, Owner at The Banyan Tree, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Hello Donna

I am really sorry to have read about your experience at the restaurant. I can assure you that we try extremely hard to provide a really high standard of food at all of our venues. All of our food is freshly cooked and I would be more than happy to show you around our kitchen during evening service. At westgate, we do strive to serve very traditional food in an innovative manner. It is as far as you can be from a "pub grub" restaurant.

Occasionally, we do get things wrong and a waiter may have left your food on the pass too long. But do try our level best to ensure we we put things right if anything has gone wrong. I am not sure what you had to eat on the day so am unable to comment too much. Did you mention to any of the staff that you were not happy with what you had and did they offer any help ?

Please accept my sincerest apologies and I will be contacting your via email to discuss further to ascertain what you had to eat on the evening and what part of our service had let us down.
Yaxley, United Kingdom
“Our First Curry club outing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

I went along to the first curry club here in June. Probably the hottest day of the year so far and with eating a curry and no air conditioning it proved interesting. But, the food was good and the service was good. I'd definitely recommend it.

Visited June 2014
Dinesh O, Owner at The Banyan Tree, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Hi zennor7

Really glad you liked your evening with us.
Yes, it was a little warm that evening. Coupled with one or two spicey dishes and the large food warmers, it would have added an extra air of "warmth" !!!

The restaurant has excellent AC coverage in the main sections. However, the particular section of the restaurant you wanted to sit was not so well covered. We have since resolved the issue.

Looking forward to seeing you again soon.
“Best Indian in the country”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Me and my boyfriend ate here last night and it was excellent, both food and service. The waiters could not do enough to assist us, recommending food from the menu and giving us free drinks on the house at the end of the evening. The food was great, both our dishes were full of flavour and had a good kick of spice (unlike most Indians were there is no spice at all!). This is the best Indian I have eaten at in the UK and I would definitely return and recommend it to curry fans!

Guildford, United Kingdom
“Disappointing ambience, but interesting food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

I went as part of a group from the office. We wanted a pleasant venue with interesting food to continue an all day meeting in a social context.

The food was good and a little out of the norm for Indian restaurants, but the ambience was way off beam. It was all solid surfaces, so very noisy, making conversation difficult. The floor had a distinctly sticky quality. The tables were cramped and the chairs felt like plastic covers and were not comfortable.

Although we were dead on time and it was not busy, the staff seemed happier to chat with some customers at the bar rather than serve us. Eventually we went and got our own menus and finally they came and took a drinks order. The menu said there was wifi, but when we asked about the security key we were told that the manager had disabled it and there was some suggestion this was because people were writing things on Trip Advisor!

Orders were taken and the food arrived, and indeed was delicious. The onion bhajis looked great, and my fish tikka starter was tasty, but a bit dry and with no salad or sauce (apart from a picturesque smear on the plate). Mains were good too.

In summary, nice food, well presented, let down by service and ambience (and the lack of promised wifi).

2 Thank TheSciolist
Dinesh O, Manager at The Banyan Tree, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Hello Sciolist

Than you for taking the time to review our restaurant. I read your review with mixed feelings, really pleased that you enjoyed your food yet could not understand some of the comments.

I do remember your table being at the restaurant. Our bar man had asked if you wanted to have drinks at the bar or go directly to your table. One member of your party had requested to stay at the bar for a while. We then allowed you your own space until you were ready to be seated. I assure you that we would not have ignored your party. We love to entertain all of our customers but did not want to intrude.

Our seating uses both fabric and faux leather of a very high standard and similar to many other venues. Not sure which part of the floor you found sticky as we have a well defined cleaning process and have the highest award for this hygiene rating. It is a non-slip floor so I would expect it to have some form of grip. However, I will take on-board your comment and review the cleaning materials used.

As for for your fish tikka, it is a char grilled item from the tandoor so I would not expect a sauce with it. I understand that most Indian style restaurants offer salad with their starters but that doesn't necessarily mean we have to serve it in exactly the same way as everyone else does. We like to serve a home made chutney and sauce with a small garnishing of quality cress and leaves instead of the regimental lettuce and sliced onions.

However, if it is something that you really wanted, then we would have been happy to serve you an additional salad or another sauce.

In regards to the wifi, yes it was turned off. We had some excellent reviews added by customers, which is great, but they were deemed to violate TA guidelines as they were added from our venue using our wifi connection. That has now been resolved and wifi is available on request.

I hope that when you are next in town, you do look us up again and come and have a chat with me regarding your previous visit over a pint of beer.