“Lovely end to a lovely day” 5 of 5 bubbles

Add it.
The Paper Mills Inn
Ranked #157 of 417 Restaurants in Peterborough
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Lovely end to a lovely day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

Whilst on a boating holiday on the River Nene we thought that we would go into Wansford for a couple of drinks.
We found "The Papermills", I'm so glad we did.
We decided to have an evening meal there, in the garden, it was so lovely. The food was just right and presented very well.
The young girl that served us was very polite and nothing was too much trouble for her.

Its a lovely place.

• Visited July 2013

Peterborough, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“seems to be on a downhill slide”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

My family and I have been quite regular visitors to this lovely well decorated old pub, and have enjoyed many a good meal, but since the original chef left the food has gone downhill and the prices uphill.won;t be going back.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 187045Peter_S
Peterborough
“Nice Place, Shame About The Food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

We visited the Paper Mills intending to have a quick drink before heading home but after having a look at the menu we were enticed to book a table. The Paper Mills is a lovely old pub, with pleasant staff and it has a good atmosphere. We had read the good reviews it had achieved so were eagerly anticipating our meal. We didn’t have a starter but went straight to the main course, both of us ordering rib-eye steaks.

There was much to commend in the meal; the salad, chips, tomato and mushroom were tasty although the onion ring was a little greasy. Sadly the big let down was the star attraction; the rib-eye steak was extremely fatty and contained gristle. The meat was also quite tasteless. At least a third of the 8ounce portion was inedible. We did mention this to the waiting staff and received an inadequate excuse from the chef together with an apology. We have experienced fatty, grisly steaks in other restaurants but they have not charged £22 for a meal, whereas we have usually been pleased with meals at those restaurants that charge comparable prices. After the poor main course, we decided to cut our losses and declined the dessert menu.

There are good aspects to the Paper Mills but it’s a shame that, on the occasion we visited, there was evidence that they don’t source quality ingredients. There are just too many good restaurants nearby charging comparable prices that provide consistently good food for us to take another chance on getting a mediocre meal at the Paper Mills.

lincolnshire
“Extremely disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013 via mobile

Having stopped off here previously for a drink, we decided to treat ourselves and book here for a meal. On arrival at 7pm for a 7.45 booking, the only place for us to sit and have a drink was at our table. Our table was classed as being in the 'restaurant', however we were just sat in a walk through between the kitchen, bar and restaurant. Our view was of an area at the side of the bar full of cleaning products, employees shoes, and dirty glasses. This was also where staff collated when they weren't serving. We ordered a crab salad and French onion soup as starters. I asked for a flat iron steak as a main but was advised that unless I was having it cooked medium or rare (I wanted medium/well done) it would be too tough! I then opted for beer battered fish and chips and my boyfriend ordered duck. As I ordered the fish I enquired as to whether it was filleted, and was told they do their best to remove all bones but occasionally one or two are found. We were advised to order early to get in front of two larger parties, which we did. Our starters arrived over 30 minutes later, behind one of the larger parties who ordered after us! Being sat in the kitchen walk through we saw all food coming out. My French onion soup was lovely, accompanied by fresh bread. The toast served with the crab salad was absolutely charred, which totally masked the taste of the crab. I swapped my fresh bread with the toast, and I understand the crab salad was then very good. But tasting the toast, I can only describe it as tasting of ash. When the waitress cleared away we informed her of our disappointment. Our main course was then brought out. The duck was amazing. However, after having 2 mouthfuls of the fish, I had found 7 bones. This ruined the meal for me, and at £12, I expected better. This was also highlighted when our plates were cleared, I even heard the comment 'Christ' from the kitchen when my plate was returned. I was advised that fish was filleted on the premises and they apologised for missing the bomes. We chose not to have deserts, and on receipt of a full bill, having complained about 2 meals, I was bitterly disappointed. When this was pointed out, after consultation with another member of staff, one starter was deducted. Whilst some aspects of the meal were fine, we were disappointed by some of the food, and particularly our table. I felt for a total cost of £60 for 2 starters, 2 mains and 2 drinks each, I would have expected so much more.

1 Thank sazzle1972
Peterborough UK
“Alfa Owner local monthly outing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

I booked a table at the Papermills for a regular monthly outing of an Alfa Romeo forum. he staff were very helpful on booking and as I was looking at about 12 people or so coming along they put us in the snug. We had a wonderful evening and the food was fantastic. Excellent service too

• Visited April 2013