“Excellent Hotel and what a bargain!”
Review of Queensgate Hotel

Queensgate Hotel
Ranked #16 of 27 Hotels in Peterborough
Reviewed 30 June 2011

The queensgate hotel is an absolute bargain. Very clean, very tidy, friendly staff. Good food in the restaurant.. All this fro £45. I stay in many hotels on business around the world and I would have been very happy to have paid 3 times this amount. Congratulations to the Queensgate.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
queensgatehotel, General Manager at Queensgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2011

Dear Guest

Thanak you very much for your review. I am glad our hotel exceeds your expectations and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards

Martin Reilly

Reviewed 28 June 2011

I stayed at the hotel with a few friends on a Saturday night, we were in Peterborough for a big event on the Sunday.
The hotel and staff were lovely. My only complaint was the room was like a sauna and so were my friends rooms. I had the window wide open to no avail. My room backed on to the car park and to which the staff obviously had no concept at the time and were talking quite loudly which would have woken me if I wasn't already awake from the heat of the room. It wasn't a particularly hot day/night either.
The hotel seriously needs to consider air conditioning!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
queensgatehotel, General Manager at Queensgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments about our hotel. I am pleased you found it to your liking.

I am sorry the room was rather warm for you, however it does appear it was the warmest weekend of the year so far! Air Conditioning is always a consideration for many hotels during the summer months, however in these times of austerity any investments have to be carefully considered - but of course I will relay your view to the directors.

We hope to see you again soon.

Regards

Reviewed 18 June 2011

I stayed at this hotel for just the one night but the staff were welcoming upon arrival and attentive at breakfast. Our room was lovely, clean and well furnished. I thought our stay provided excellent value for money. This will definately be my first choice of hotel the next time I stay in Peterborough.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

we are glad you enjoyed your stay at the Queensgate, and look forward to welcoming you back when you next come to the area.

Best Regards

Reviewed 15 June 2011

Staff were friendly and efficient.

Our room was a good size with a large and very comfortable double bed. There was the option of using the bath or the shower over, both delivered hot water at a good temperature and speed.

Coffee and tea were available in the room, with biscuits!

We didn't sample the hotel restaurant that night as we'd been invited out by friends, but there was a very nice food aroma when we returned later and the full English the next day was lovely, tasty and not greasey . The choice unusually includes black pudding, big plus point for my husband.

We'd definitely go back.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
queensgatehotel, General Manager at Queensgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind words. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and look forwarded to welcoming you next time you visit our city.

Reviewed 22 May 2011

Stayed a week on business and had a lovely room, good wifi access. Not as comfortable as it could have been as there was a sheet, throw but no duvet, but it was very clean.

Towards the end of our stay they were filming a gypsy wedding for tv and the party were staying all sides of us. Needless to say with all the room swapping and shouting that night we got no sleep whatsoever and we were moved to a wonderful room elsewhere. Why this wedding wasn't mentioned when we booked and why we weren't originally given the other room I don't know but it demonstrates the lack of customer consideration here.

When trying to leave I was forbidden by the bridesmaids from going out the front and I wasn't allowed to move their dresses to get out the back. Went back to my room to phone reception for suggestions on getting out and got no answer until I used my mobile to phone as if externally.

Meanwhile as we'd swapped rooms and someone was taking a booking when we went to get our keys we were given the receptionist's while she prepared them once the computer was free. We waited half an hour only to see her appear outside watching the wedding party. Needless to say we never got them. Returned that night to find our new "quiet" room directly above a live band.

Breakfast had a limited buffet but hot food was nice and freshly prepared. The staff in the restaurant were very abrupt and I never stopped finding it odd I was asked what I wanted before being presented with a menu, which we never saw. Service was better the morning of said wedding when they were short staffed and we were served by a cleaner.

Could be a great hotel but we just felt in the way.

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank andyroo84
queensgatehotel, General Manager at Queensgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2011

Dear Guest

As the newly appointed General Manager here at the Queensgate Hotel, I feel it appropriate that I respond to your comments.

Reading through your review, I see you were impressed with the standard of cleanliness of your room and generally with the hotel which I thank you for. All our rooms have additional sealed blankets or duvets in the wardrobe as is expected for our AA accreditation.

From what I have read, the disruption caused by a National TV showed being filmed at our hotel was not to your liking which I can only apologise for, however I cannot agree with you expecting to have been told about this, as with all guests they were as entitled to confidentiality as anyone else.

Similarly, I am not sure the hotel can be held responsible for the behaviour of our guests, and can only apologise the internal call was not answered in a timely manner for you, but again, the disruption caused by National TV was unusual for the staff to deal with.

As I do not have your booking details to hand (please feel free to contact me directly if you want) I cannot comment on why the room you were moved to was not originally offered to you.

With regard to breakfast, many of our staff have been re-trained since my arrival however on your final day we were not short staffed, we have various staff that are multi-tasking, which is appropriate for a business of this size, and I am pleased to hear service standards met your expectations there.

Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel if you feel compelled to discuss any of the issues further or require any further explanation.

Regards

Martin Reilly.

Reviewed 24 March 2011

It is apparent when approaching this hotel that it has seen better days as there is a rather ramshackle appearance to it's exterior. Inside the impression is one of improvement and money has obviously been spent on fixtures,fittings, furniture etc. Staff were efficient and helpful and rooms were clean although there are signs that the refurbishment may not be of the highest standard as some deterioration is already evident.
Breakfast was was of a good standard, freshly prepared from the kitchen and a colleague reported that the food was of a similar standard at dinner.
If you are bothered by loud traffic you will not fare too well if placed at the front of the hotel.
TV reception in my room was very poor although I did not have much time to watch it during my one night stay.
Overall it was a decent experience for a short buisness trip and I would happily go back.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 February 2011

Always wary when after a mechanical greeting and formalities of check-in are completed it's money upfront for the duration of your stay (That's just plain offensive in my book and considering that everywhere you look there's hotel literature extolling their 'superb customer service'!!! The room was billed as standard non-renovated but clean. It certiainly wasn't renovated, but clean.... well we all have different standards!!! For an average of £40 per night room only, I expect better for an independent or I can stay at a Travelodge for the same or cheaper. What did I find? Two empty vodka bottles in the tiny wardrobe, a missing toilet seat ,not missed as the toilet was wedged into the tiniest space imaginable in a dirty en-suite. The toilet that if you sit on it with the radiator switched on you'll suffer 1st degree burns. A 14" television at the end of the bed that didn't even have freeview and nasty polyester bed cover.It was Valentines day when I checked in,so as a single traveler I decided on room service. Typical of this hotel's bad service.. they had suspended the normal menu and it was a love feast or nothing.
After a couple of days I decided to try once again in the restaurant .... service was abysmal and so slow and the food was nothing to write home about (once again self proclaimed as a gastronomic delight). There's supposed to have been £1.25m pounds spent on this hotel. I assume most of it went on the security system.
Oh yes and wi-fi that is provided at a small price on standard rooms that doesn't work unless you are in public areas. Thankfully as i'd booked (and of course) paid for a weeks stay it was provided free.. so i got nothing for nothing!!! Don't stay here. There are better places and better value for money

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business