“Fantastic room, breakfast and service.”
Review of Queensgate Hotel

Queensgate Hotel
Ranked #16 of 27 Hotels in Peterborough
Reviewed 16 October 2011

Spent a night here whilst visiting Peterborough Greyhound racing and was so impressed with the hotel and facilities. Our room was very spacious with a comfortable king size bed, fantastic power shower and large, flat screen TV.
Everything was spotlessly clean and the staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfast was superb, freshly cooked and very tasty.
The hotel was ideally located for our trip, being in a quiet location but within walking distance of the city centre and a short drive away from the Greyhound Stadium.
Many thanks for the hospitality and we will not hesitate to return in the near future.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
queensgatehotel, General Manager at Queensgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for choosing us for your stay in Peterborough. I am glad our hotel was to your liking and we look forward to welcoming you to Peterborough again soon.

Reviewed 14 October 2011

The first thing I noticed was the obvious refurbishment the hotel had recently undergone. The entrance rooms were well lit and spacious, with the staff very welcoming and attentative to my requirements. I had a superior double bedroom with shower room towards the rear of the building. In the shower room the toilet roll holder was loose and there was a couple of marks on the wall but overall it was well furnished, had a comfortable bed, tidy & of a good size. I had a meal in the restaurant, which represented good value with the 3 course special, although I was surprised that there was no vegetables served with it (I may have missed this on the menu). The breakfast was of a very good standard & served equally quickly. Without doubt all the staff were excellent throughout my stay.
Overall it was a very enjoyable experience with just a couple of minor issues, which I'm sure the staff will work on (but hey, you want perfect... find a 5* hotel:). Will I be staying again - I really hope so - well done

Room Tip: Superior room at the back was quiet
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank scida

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your review and kind words. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 12 October 2011

The reception staff and bar staff were very helpful and friendly.My room was comfortable but the freeview TV was not working properly. Breakfast was not a great experience.There were certainly not enough staff serving and had to wait ages to give my order and receive some tea.
The breakfast menu said cooked to order so asked for the cooked breakfast. it was OK but the mushrooms were old and cooked within an inch of their lives!Disgusting. I had to ask for sauce and bowls for the fruit as these had run out.Having looked into the kitchen I saw piles of cooked food in trays so certainly it was not cooked to order which would explain the poor breakfast.

Room Tip: to not get the attic room as does not have a proper shower.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank whittHull
queensgatehotel, General Manager at Queensgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2011

Dear Guest
Thankyou for your review. I did get your message left with my receptionist about your breakfast and called you to discuss it. Unfortunately having tried a few times and left a voicemail on your phone I have not been able to speak with you about this. Whilst I cannot comment on the mushrooms you were served, I can confirm that all the breakfasts at our hotel are freshly cooked and the food you saw in the kitchen was merely prepared ready for finishing-the amount being appropriate to a very busy breakfast session.
I am glad however, having looked at your actual scoring of our hotel the facilities seemed to be to your liking.

Reviewed 17 September 2011

Stayed here again in July this year and found it far better than last visit which i reviewed in 2009.There always seemed to staff around to help in a friendly and professional manner and that the breakfast(which was my main point of concern last visit) was very well run with plenty cereal.juice etc and cooked breakfast was served quickly.Also had a room service meal which was very reasonably priced and was of a high standard.Will not hesitate to use again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am glad you have seen an improvement here at the Queensgate Hotel, and I will pass your kind words on to my staff.

Hopefully we will see you here again soon.

Reviewed 28 July 2011

Booked 2 rooms ,on arrival found they were far apart but soon sorted out an given two v nice rooms together on the ground floor.Shuga(sorry if I have mispelt your name) who was on bar duty on the Friday when we returned from the town was very efficient and friendly.
Breakfasts on the Saturday /Sunday were a real pleasure with the Chef (Phil Tufnell) and all the other staff very jovial ,friendly and efficient.
In all , all the staff made us feel very welcome,only one drawback the Bar did not open until 18-00.

Room Tip: If you require rooms together mention it when booking.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
queensgatehotel, General Manager at Queensgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us, I am glad all our staff helped you enjoy your trip.I have relayed your positive words to them.

Reviewed 3 July 2011

Room 46 : It was supposed to be a superior room...The en suite had black mould on the ceiling, the shower base was disgusting and cracked and the whole thing was dark and dingey. The bedspread had an unidentifiable stain on it, obvioulsy not a clean one ! The cleaner walked in on my friend when she was on the toilet and we had not checked out. Breakfast was chaos, only 2 staff working and we waited for 20 mins before being served, those who came in after us were served first, we got the wrong breakfast and the cups were stained, when I asked for a clean one was told "it is clean, some of them are like that"...On a positive note the staff were very friendly and we had a fantastic massage...

Room Tip: Don't bother ....
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and kind words about our staff. I was called to the room you were in after your check out by the housekeeping team to investigate a smokey smell, and did see the ceiling in the bathroom. Unfortunately guests turn off the extractor fan and this has caused a deterioration in that room, for which I apologise. It is currently de-commisioned awaiting repairs.

If you would like to discuss it further I can be contacted personally at the hotel.

Once again thank you for staying with us and hopefully we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 2 July 2011

I have stayed here more than once and it is improving. The food is actually quite good and value for money, breakfast ok and the chef is a bit of a character. The mornig staff were a bit abrupt not helped by the lack of a menu. The rooms are hot with no aircon; my romm window opened on to an concealed roof, think the smell coming in was from the toilets below. It's good though, mostly friendly staff, good for the money but there are better in Peterborough.

Room Tip: Get a superior.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
queensgatehotel, General Manager at Queensgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive words. I am glad the changes we are making are showing themselves as improving our standards. On your next stay you will note the introduction of breakfast menus! I have looked into the smell you mentioned but can find no trace - and have no other guest comments to assist me with this, however if you wish to contact me to discuss then please do. This issue of air-con is one we have discussed at board level and can only re-iterate the trade off between providing true value for money, and the cost increases necessary to cover something that sadly the UK summers only justify using a few days of the year - let alone the environmental issues.

Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to Peterborough soon.