“Great Discovery”
Review of Queensgate Hotel

Queensgate Hotel
Ranked #16 of 27 Hotels in Peterborough
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I stop in Peterborough on business quite a lot and tried this place for the first time. what a find! The staff were all friendly, the room warm and clean and it was lovely to have a proper freshly cooked breakfast - not buffet style like most. Rooms could be a little bigger, and the one I had didn't look out on much, but hey - what do you want in a city centre. All in all super value - about half what you would pay at any other 3* in Peterborough - but twice as good.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank John P
Martin R, Manager at Queensgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your kind words which I have relayed to my staff. Hopefully our great value will keep you coming back.

Reviewed 29 January 2012

Used for a business meeting. Thought last time there was room for improvement, sadly has got worse.

Car park is a joke, far too small, and decidedly untidy. Detritus all over the place.

The room was in need of a refurb. Lamps failed in light fittings, basin in bathroom had a bit the size of my hand that had been knocked off, and poorly stuck back in. Shaver point on end of mirror light too close to shower screen, and no way could a razor be plugged in.

Despite free broadband, and 3 guest log-ons showing as available, could not get a signal anywhere in the building. Perfect on my phone through O-2 though.

Evening meal, those who ordered soup were not offered a bread roll, those that had steak were not offered veg or salad. Assume not inclusive on the menu?

Breakfast, I ordered scrambled egg on toast. Eggs cooked to perfection, and on top of un-buttered toast, no problem with that, but then I was handed a plate with butter, thought that was to put on toast with jam or marmalade, but no other toast arrived. Coffee in a pot, and a milk jug, but only enough milk to cover the bottom of the jug, and no spoon to stir the coffee. No staff to be found either.

Lunch time we had a buffet. There were bowls of salad and pasta with various plates of finger food, and knives/forks to eat with, but nowhere to sit & eat the food as there was another meeting in the dining room. No point in knives & forks, so the pasta etc was hardly touched.

Afternoon tea/coffee. NO SPOONS. Sugar lumps were in bowls which we had to use our fingers for and we all had to stir our drinks with our pens.

Toilets in public rooms, one toilet had no dryer, just a very manky & wet towel, (Remember the sugar in bowls and the lack of spoons, and imagine the possibilities) the toilet roll was on top of the cistern, and clearly it had once fallen into the pan. The other toilet the dryer would not stay on, and the lid would not stay up.

To be fair, the meals are excellent and so is the welcome. It is just a shame that there is no attention to detail, and there seems to be no ownership of day-to-day issues. They are clearly short-staffed, and it shows.

When it came to any other business in our meeting, I asked for a different venue in future. After taking 4 hours plus to get there, I would like a little something to make up for the journey.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Alex1706
Martin R, General Manager at Queensgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2012

Dear Alex1706
Thank you for your comments. Having spoken to 6 of your collegues at the same meeting including the organiser, I feel it appropriate to reply to some of the points you raised as your view differs from theirs.
Like many City Centre hotels parking is limited here, however as long as guests park considerately there is ample space on most days. For days where there is not enough, like your meeting taking up around 70% of our spaces, many with vans, we have an overflow car park opposite the hotel, which I am sure had you asked, reception would have directed you to. I categorically deny 'detritus all over the place' it is tidied 3 times per week as a minimum.
All the lamps in your room worked. I took the decision on environmental gorunds that bedside lights with more than one socket, would only have one bulb of 60w equivalent fitted and this was the case in your room. I have uploaded a picture of the sink, perhaps you could point out the damage.
On the evening of your stay we had to re-boot our broadband router. All other guests reported it working fully after this. I am not sure why you compared this to your mobile phone reception.
Our restaurant offers fabulous value at £12.95 for 2 courses of freshly prepared food. All meals come with a garnish and a selection of vegetables are listed as sides on the menu. Bread rolls for those having soup were placed in the centre of your table - perhaps some not having soup also ate them.
Having checked my CCTV it appears you sat at a recently vacated table at breakfast, rather than the ready set one next to you, hence some items were not fully topped up. Our breakfast menu clearly states order any tea/coffee/toast from your server, so I am unsure why you expected some to be delivered that you did not order.
On the day of your meeting we did have 2 other meetings in the hotel. Unlike most other conference venues, we do not charge for a break-out room (perhaps you should suggest your group consider paying this), hence you had the lounge and bar areas for your buffet. Many of your colleagues ate in the bar, which I am surpised you didn't find as you walked past both open doors to it to get to the toilet.
The toilet with the towel. This is mainly our bar toilet. I can confirm my housekeeper changed the towel around 11.15 am. The only people that used it that day were your group it was then changed again at 3.26pm.
Our other toilets hand driers are set to eco mode which requires you to keep your hands under them for them to operate.
It does appear my conferencing manager missed some teaspoons out from your afternoon break - I apologise for this and have put measures in place to prevent it happening again.

Thank you for your compliments about our meals and staff.

I would finally like to point out that, in your room, as in every room in the hotel, was a letter from me personally, saying if you have any problems during your stay I am always available to help.

Regards

Reviewed 26 January 2012

Booked for few days when attending family wedding. made requested for silent room and was not disappointed. Big room with clean bathroom. Including breakfast also good value. Place is near to centre and can walk there in 10 mins. I have stayed in other small hotel but they are not so good. This is very friendly staff and had very good stay.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family

Dear Stefan B

Thank you for your kind words. I am glad all my staffs efforts are paying off and you think we are one of the best small hotels you have stayed in. Hopefully we will see you in Peterborough again soon.

Reviewed 10 January 2012

Great value hotel especially with breakfast included. The room was very clean, staff were friendly and polite, and the breakfast was good. It's only a ten minute walk from the station as well. The only negative was noise, we stayed on a weekend and on both nights we were woken in the early hours, not that other guests were noisy I think the walls are just too thin.

Will stay again.

Room Tip: We stayed in a superior room and I would stay in one of these again. I advise you get a room away f...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear boggle6717
Thank you for your review. I am glad you liked our hotel, and my staff looked after you well and you enjoyed your breakfast - we pride ourselves on our freshly cooked breakfast, as opposed to the buffet style many of our peers use.
I understand being woken is frustrating - it happens to me everytime I stay in another hotel. next time you stay just request a room at the back of the hotel and we will do our best to accomodate you.

Hope to see you again soomn.

Reviewed 26 November 2011

We decided to stay here during our last trip as it was close to the city and not to far from the office.

My room was big clean and had a full bathroom, bathtub is always a big plus for me.
On the downside my room was facing the busy street but that saved me from having to use an alarm clock in the morning.
We had breakfast included with most days was good. though I wouldn't have paid GBP 9.50 for it, had it not been included.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
queensgatehotel, General Manager at Queensgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and kind words about our facilities. About the breakfast, all our breakfast prices are checked against the competition and are considerably lower than most other Peterborough hotels (many of whom it would be a buffet breakfast) and are of course inclusive for all superior room guests. Unfortunately many city centre hotels suffer a degree of road noise. If you book direct with us you can make a request for a rear or side room, which of course we do our best to oblige.

I hope we will see you in Peterborough again soon.

Martin Reilly.

Reviewed 22 November 2011

Negative Points
I stayed for just one night at this hotel with my son, we had a twin superior room according to the website this is a larger room so the standard rooms must be very small we had a window that opened onto a brick wall and due to a constand noise I assume aircon it was too noisy to have this open there was an upleasant odour coming from outside as well. The room heating was turned off but the room was still very hot this made the batroom like a steam room. When we returned on the Saturday evening we were unable to park in the car Park due to a wedding in progress we also had to walk trough a crowd of about a dozen smokers to get into the front entrance very unpleasant.

Good Points
The rooms were clean and well furnished with everyting you need the staff were all very pleasant and breakfast was good we didnt eat in the hotel because of the wedding so I cannot comment on the evening meals I would stay here again on business if I was in Perterborough during the week as its good value for money although I would ask not to be put in room 34. Free WiFi was very easy to use and a good speed a bonus for business travellers

Room Tip: Avoid room 34
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thankyou for choosing us for your stay in Peterborough. I am glad on the whole you were pleased with the service and the accomodation. With regard to the temperature in your room, the heating is set give give a good average temperature - unfortunately one mans stuffy, is another mans cosy - I have however turned the temperature down a little.

When you book again, if you use our own website, there is a space for special requests and you can, of course ask for a front or side room or even a ground floor room if your prefer.

Martin Reilly.

Reviewed 30 October 2011

Having just returned from a 10 day stay at this hotel I would like to give a few pointers.;
We asked to be put in the re furbished part of the hotel but our request was not granted.We stayed in room 57 which over looks a brick wall very claustrophobic,the sound of the kitchen door re verberates thro the room day and night and the gurgle of what we think was the flotation tank makes you feel tho you are living in a goldfish bowl.Very creaky floor boards and a lot of door banging .

Room was basic and reasonably clean, bedding and towels,and tea making things replenished daily . Receptionist,bar manager and housekeeper very pleasant .Did not dine here as this hotel is very close to take aways and Peterborough town itself.

We have before stayed in the re furbished part of the hotel which is a lot nicer .!!!!

Room Tip: Insist you are put in the newer part of the hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mhaycox
queensgatehotel, General Manager at Queensgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us and your kind words about the staff. With regards to your room - When your booking came through to us from booking.com for a standard twin room, with a request to be placed in a superior room at no extra charge, we emailed you immediately explaining that as you had booked a standard room, we could not guarantee a free upgrade and to be guaranteed a room in the new section you needed to book a superior room. You did not amend your booking and as such were put in to the room type you booked as all our superior twins sold out.

We hope to see you in Peterborough soon.