“Another fantastic stay at the Queensgate!”
Review of Queensgate Hotel

Queensgate Hotel
Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Peterborough
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Another fantastic stay at the Queensgate!”
Reviewed 27 February 2013

We had stayed at the Queensgate before and had a great experience, so had no hesitation in returning here again, this time with family and friends.

We booked 3 rooms and they were all lovely – clean, comfortable and well equipped. Both our friends and my son commented on how nice their rooms and how comfortable the beds were.

The trip was booked so the others could attend a football match (not me – I was here to shop!) and so we could all have a night at the greyhound races, and the Queensgate is perfectly situated for all of this, being within walking distance of both the football ground and the town centre and a short taxi ride away from the greyhound stadium, whilst still in a quiet and peaceful location.

The check-in was smooth and friendly and a taxi was booked for us to take us to the stadium later.
The hotel has a well-stocked residents bar with a large screen TV, which we used both before and after our trip to the greyhounds.

Breakfast was delicious and plentiful, with a good menu choice and pleasant waitresses.
All in all, another great stay, for an extremely reasonable price and I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is planning a visit to Peterborough, whether for business, leisure or a “sporting weekend” like ours!

The only downside to the weekend was that our football team lost and only one of our party came out a winner at the greyhounds and unfortunately that person wasn’t me!

But a great weekend despite that – many thanks to the staff and we will return to try our luck again and will definitely be staying at this great hotel when we do!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank SHELLYJ
Martin R, General Manager at Queensgate Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
Dear Shelly J
Thank you very much for staying with us and introducing some friends to our hotel. I am glad you had a good stay in Peterborough, apart form the football result, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind Regards

Martin Reilly.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2013

This hotel is always my first choice stay in the area. Yet again a great stay here. On check-in you are offered help with bags and shown to your room - how many hotels can claim that! The restaurant was rather busy on the night I stayed and as I hadn't booked a table had to wait about 30 minutes for one, but it was worth it - the belly pork just melted away. I paid a little more for my room than I normally do at this hotel but they were full and I was happy just to get a room and it was still about 30% cheaper than the other 3* hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Superior rooms are worth the extra and if you can booked in advance the special offers are really ch...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank John P
Dear John P
Thank you for your business and subsequent review. I am glad you still use the Queensgate Hotel whenever you are in Peterborough and that we still provide you with the service you expect. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

kind Regards

UK
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Stayed here on a few occasions on business trip. Decent Hotel for the price. The rooms are average and the WIFI is very hit and miss in the bedroooms.

I enjoyed the food from the evening menu which was reasonably priced. The breakfast was also enjoyable with plenty of options both hot and cold.

I like watching sports so the sports bar and Sky TV was useful although the bar area is quite small.

One particular issue was the parking and unless you get to the hotel before 6pm you are unlikely to find a parking space.
Overall, the hotel is good value for money.

Room Tip: Check in early if you want to guarantee a parking spot
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Dear laptop_1
Thank you for your business and subsequent review. I am glad you found our hotel to your liking. I am not sure which room type you chose, however we do have a whole range of different rooms available from budget singles right up to our executive rooms some of which include whirlpool baths. As with all large buildings, wifi can be variable and of course at the time of your stay many broadband providers were blaming the inclement whether all over the country. We do of course provide it free throughout.

Kind Regards

Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Very good city location hotel. The food especially good, and probably the best breakfast we have had in a hotel stay. Forget the Premier inns of the world when you can stay here. I was on business and so found it great for that use. Only a few minutes walk from the city centre

• Stayed February 2013
Martin R, General Manager at Queensgate Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
Dear Nick h

Thank you very much for your positive review and of course your custom. It gives my team great encouragement to continue with the improvements we are making when we here from an experienced reviewer we are getting it right.

Thank you.

Northampton
Reviewed 8 February 2013

We booked a superior double for £64.80 with breakfast included. The young man who checked us in, think his name is Danny, was superb. He could not have been more welcoming or helpful. He gave us lots of advice in answer to all our questions (first time in Peterborugh). When we walked into our room, we both saw the colour of the net curtains, and thought, what have we booked, they were in desperate need of a clean. Bit of a shame really, this was the only negative point.

All of the staff were pleasant and attentive, breakfast was great and it is perfectly located for the town, dog track and if you want it, football stadium.

If you are staying at this hotel and like Vietnamese/Malaysian/Thai food, try East. It is a converted barge, literally 3 minutes walk. We had a superb meal in there.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 1962couple
Dear 1962couple

Thank you for your custom and review. It sounds like you certainly had a good time here on your first trip to Peterborough and hopefuly we will see you again soon. I discussed the net curtains with my Head Housekeeper and without excusing them, our in house washing machine is in an area that freezes and could not be used. I assure you they have now caught up wih the routine washing of the nets.

Once again thak you for your business.

Cambridgeshire, UK
Reviewed 22 January 2013

Didn't stay, but visited the Queensgate for a private lunch party to celebrate a friends 30th recently

The freshly made soup and salmon I was served was superb. Only note of criticism I would make is that there's more to rustling up an espresso to round off an excellent meal than pouring the coffee from the hob into a smaller cup!

Would certainly return to eat in the restaurant again based on the strength of the chef's efforts for my visit.

Have scored the VFM as "average" as no money changed hands for my visit. I believe the menu for the restaurant can be found online, so judge for yourself.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Dear NGB_may2007

Thank you very much for your review of our restaurant. I have passed your comments on to my restaurant team and we hope to see you dining with us again soon.

Cardigan
Reviewed 20 January 2013

I had stayed at the Queensgate hotel a few years back and had also taken my mother there for a Christmas dinner. The service then and value for money was good. However, I was in for an unpleasant shock when I decided to stay there this December 2012. The young lady receptionist was aloof and unfriendly. After several phonecalls she managed to find me a room with a bath instead of one with a shower that I was offered. This room was in the attic and at first sight appeared to be ok. Thus I said I would call to reception after unpacking. 5 minutes later she rang the intercom insisting that I came straight to reception as she needed my bank card! There my questions about the hotel's facilities were unanswered and I was waved to the restaurant's location. However, I did not fare any better as the bar/restaurant staff seemed unsure of the day's menu and didn't make eye contact. My starter order of mushrooms was tepid and sugary sweet. At my complaint, the manager offered no apology for this or the following main course which was worse, inedible, rubbery and overcooked. Subsequently I cancelled next mornings order for breakfast. On retiring to my room I found that the ensuite room was freezing as the fire escape door to the exterior had an inch gap around it. Due to this the traffic noise was much louder. Thus I had an uncomfortable night. The next day I checked out and into The Bull Hotel which cost around the same price and was fabulous!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Valerie F
Martin R, General Manager at Queensgate Hotel, responded to this review, 26 January 2013
Dear Valerie F
When I receive a review such as this, I feel it essential I give an accurate reflection of events, and allow anyone reading to make their own judgement, which I will now do. I would, of course contacted you directly about your stay, however as will be explained below, you had only provided the most basic contact details.
You arrived at the hotel on a very busy Thursday evening (some two months ago, unusual timing to leave a review with such strong views so long) with no reservation, requesting the cheapest room we had available, insisting on seeing it first before commiting. My receptionist duly showed you a couple of rooms and you settled on a budget double room. At this stage, as you had not completed any registration or payment details, you were asked to come back to reception to complete these (these are not just for security but also fire safety). For some reason you did not want to do this straight way but did agree to pop down in about 5 mins. When almost half an hour had elapsed and you still had not done so (remember our legal obligations on this) my receptionist rightly called your room and asked you to do so. On the fire exit, as it is a designated fire exit it is checked by an external auditor and I can assure you and all reading there is no 'inch gap' around it. Perhaps it had been opened and not closed properly again, which of course had you mentioned to reception when you finally came to register would have been correctly instantly.
In the restaurant - you ordered creamy garlic mushrooms. These are presented with a balsamic reduction plate decoration. After a couple of minutes the waitress checked with you that your starter was okay, which you replied yes. Only after eating the entire starter and mopping the reduction up with the freshly toasted foccacia did you then mention it was sugary. Balsamic reduction is made with sugar. The story of your main course follows a similar path only mentioning a problem at the end of the meal, and not when checked back. At this stage it is appropriate to point out that I, the manager, was not on duty that night and therefore you could not possibly have spoken to me about it however my restaurant supervisor on the evening remembers you well. I do not understand why your room was cold and noisy as there is also a fire door between the room and the en-suite.
With regard to your room rate. Most people are aware there is a difference between hotel prices Mon-Th and Fr-Su (you stayed with us on a Thursday). It does surprise me, given the prices our competitor advertises, that your room was 'around the same price' but of course anyone reading this can compare like for like rates and all the reviews we have from other, some very experienced, reviewers and make their own judgements.

Regards