“The 1970's timewarp . . .”

The Rose and Crown at Thorney
Ranked #11 of 465 Restaurants in Peterborough
Price range: US$10 - US$32
Cuisines: International, British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Went to the Rose and Crown for a meal for two. I had heard good things . . . . .Oh well, all good things must come to an end. The ambience is great, if you like reliving the seventies, from the cluttered walls, dodgy paintwork and uncomfortable seats to the plastic plants and flourescent lights, its a mecca to all things tat. The drinks are expensive if you are driving, coke is available from a can at a premium price, although you do get a dried piece of lemon thrown in.
The meal itself took quite a while to arrive (we were the only two eating at the time) and it was basically OK, nothing special. I made the mistake of having the chicken in basket which appeared to be fried in order to reheat, this had the nice effect of glueing itself to the serviettes in the basket, as did the chips. It also made the chicken extremely hot, I think it was still cooking itself ten minutes after being served.
Cutlery could do with being cleaned a little better, as could the glasses. But if you're looking for a 1970's upmarket Pub/Cafe then the Rose and Crown is a definite winner!

1  Thank G K

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We were booked in for 1pm but our orders were not taken until about 1.40, food was excellent cannot fault it lovely and hot and plenty of it. The only downside was the slow service we finally settled our bill about 3.15pm. Having said that we are an "eat and run" family but it did make a nice change to have time to relax and chat. Would definately go back again for Sunday lunch and to try out the "specials board" which had some rather nice dishes on it.

2  Thank Millery_13
Reviewed 14 June 2014

A few days ago I dropped in on the Rose and Crown for another steak. It was so good I decided to write a second review of this wonderful restaurant. I don't know how he manages it but the food and service is always perfect here. Fantastic.

1  Thank sgbirch
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

Wow. Wonderful food and service. I can highly recommend the mixed grill. Make sure you have a pudding if you have room. Shame the Doombar ale ran out, but there were 3 more ales on tap. We will be back again soon.

2  Thank Andy T
Reviewed 8 June 2014

First ever visit to this establishment and overall an enjoyable experience worthy of a return visit. Plenty of staff available and they all seemed very pleasant and nothing was too much trouble. We wasn't sure of the protocol, so we ordered drinks at the bar and then advised that we'd booked a table for 1PM. We were told to pick a table, given menus and someone would be along shortly to take our order. A wide choice was available for starters, main and desserts. My wife and myself both went for the leek and potato soup, while our daughter had the duet of melon. Certainly no complaints with the starter and presentation was amazing for a pub lunch. My daughter and I both went for the beef main course and the wife had pork. Have to say that the beef had more fat on that I would have expected. My 9 year old daughter started to swallow a particular stringy piece and had to cough it back up. A frightening experience for her, but a lesson in cutting your food up better I suppose. Despite cutting off a lot of fat, there was more than enough meat to savour and it was a tasty dish. Two of us went for the lemon meringue which was absolutely delicious and looked fantastic on the plate. The better half went for toffee lumpy bumpy something or other and she enjoyed it. We had a laugh when the daughter said that the food was good enough for a Masterchef semi final but not quite good enough for the final. High praise indeed for someone so fussy about her food. Would I recommend it, certainly would. Would we go back, most definitely.

1  Thank Ian W W