“Great food and fab location”
Review of Cafe Clarkes - CLOSED

Cafe Clarkes
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Great food and fab location”
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We ate here last night

The setting by the River Nene gives it a holiday feel which was good as it was a warm evening

We had crab and cod and chips . It was just yummy!

God to have a decent place that does good simple well cooked food

Whittlesey, United Kingdom
“Expensive and dreadful”
Reviewed 6 July 2013

It was supposed to be a special week-end treat for my husband and I. And we were really looking forward to going to Café Clarkes followed by the show in the Key theatre. The Café just opened and I was sure that as usually is the case the food would be good. It was the opposite! I never in my life had the bread that was made of pure salt! And the soup I ordered looked and tasted as if it was just taken out of a cheap supermarket can! And it was not cheap either. After that meal, all through the show I was feeling sick and even the next day I had problems with my stomach. Shame on whoever allows their customers to be given food like that! Have they actually tried it themselves?! I have written to the Key Theatre but did not hear back from them. It was the worst meal I have ever had!!!

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank Lara W
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Service? Service please?! SERVICE?!?!?!?!?!?!”
Reviewed 4 July 2013

We were excited to try Cafe Clarkes after dining at Clarkes and other well rated establishments. However, throughout our meal on a quiet Thursday evening we were repeatedly ignored by the three waitresses who were more interested in chatting on the phone, perusing the bar and loosing themselves whist purveying the stagnant river Nene.
After we worked out that we were not wearing our invisibility cloaks, we did get served some wonderful, if a little Hobbit sized food, yet this did not make up for the service or the lack of atmosphere. Two baby new potatoes does not a lyonnaise make. No opportunity to share our feelings though as the waitresses never inquired as to our enjoyment of our food until we had paid (convenient!).
Real shame as this could be something great, yet it is just masquerading under the name and reputation of Clarkes, sadly. Disappointed! Plus a cup of tea was £3 - how do they justify this when aperitifs were significantly under this price - that will teach me for being a responsible driver!

7 Thank Eelash
“Once again Lee Clarke fails to disappoint”
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Absolutely fabulous British cuisine. Lee Clarke's restaurant in Peterborough has always impressed me, & this brasserie fails to disappoint!! Would recommend to everybody!!

Peterborough, England, United Kingdom
“A perfect afternoon”
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We had a blissful afternoon at Cafe Clarkes today.

Lovely pre lunch drinks outside watching the swans swim down the river , so tranquil and peaceful. We enjoyed the bread board outside before going inside to enjoy the 2 course set menu.

My friends had the Pan-fried Salmon with a herb dressing while I enjoyed the succulent belly pork. Both dishes were accompanied by herb crushed potatoes and tender stem broccoli. We all chose the mousse.

The food was excellent and the staff were both friendly and prompt with service.

It was the perfect place to catch up with friends on a beautiful summers day.