“Good but not great”

Ranked #1 of 27 Hotels in Peterborough
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Good but not great”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I stayed here in one of the executive rooms early in March. Check in was good and the receptionist very friendly and helpful. The room was huge but a little chilly. Good hot shower but toilet and washbasin were too close together and a bit cramped. All was very clean and in good order. WiFi was free and reasonably fast. As others have said, the TV was huge but as always, I never turned it on.
Ordering breakfast to be delivered to my room was a surprise. It was OK but precludes an extra cup of coffee or a spontaneous Danish.
If I have a major concern, it would be the heating: I'm not used to a warm house by any means but as brightonem has said, the heating system in the room simply isn't up to the job. Get that fixed and it'll be great.
I'll stay again but probably not in the depths of Winter ;-)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank perlogalism
ThePearl H, General Manager at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. I can assure you that we take the feedback of our guests seriously and we always look for ways to improve our guests’ experiences.

Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Iva

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Turkish first
Kent
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I booked the Pearl after staying one week in another place that was awful. Liked my 3 nights at the Pearl so much that I have stayed there every week since and have booked up to end of March - and I'm fussy. I have stayed in 4 rooms - all fine, spotlessly clean, similar decor, very comfy beds with big fluffy pillows, great bathrooms with walk in showers. The staff are welcoming and very helpful. Breakfast is continental style - either cereals/yoghurt/fruit with tea/coffee/fruit juice, or croissant/rolls with salami/ham/cheeses/preserves and tea/coffee/fruit juice and is brought to your room at your requested time - I think the breakfast could vary a little from these two options but that's because if you're staying a few nights it's nice to have abit of variety. Each room has a flatscreen telly on the wall. The rooms are a little on the cold side (although that's preferable to being too hot!) but the aircon is very good and doesn't take long to warm up. Nice toiletries in the bathroom - I don't bother bringing my own now - saves carrying them. Rooms do vary in size - and if you book an executive room it will cost a little more than a standard but even the smaller rooms are more spacious than many UK hotels offer. This place only opened in 2013 I believe - so the decor of rooms, condition of bathrooms etc is very good. Showers are generously sized walk ins and bathroom sizes vary from cosy (but not small) to quite spacious. The Pearl is a boutique style hotel and probably geared more towards individuals on business or visiting - to date I've not come across your average noisy group of construction workers or a group stag or hen party - for which I'm very grateful! About 10 minutes walk from the Cathedral - Lincoln road is okay from there to the Pearl but i've been advised not to walk much further along Lincoln road after that at night - but taxis are c. £3.60-4.00 to the centre and station. Adjoining the Pearl is the Maitai Thai restaurant - where you can get a great meal for £9.95. Nice atmosphere, friendly staff and ideal if you're staying at the Pearl don't fancy venturing into the city. The Pearl's a hidden gem of a hotel in Peterborough and I recommend it highly.

Room Tip: executive rooms are bigger but all rooms are bigger than average for many UK hotels.
Dear Madam,

Thank you for sharing your great feedback. It’s good to hear the overall experience of the guest such as yours. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at The Pearl Hotel in Peterborough.Thank you very much for being one of our most regular customers.

Iva
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I read the reviews before booking a 2 nights stay at this hotel. I stayed in the room #208 for two nights, and I have to tell you, this room is nothing like the one you see on the pictures.

PROS:
- Super comfortable bed.
- Good size telly with all the channels you could possibly need.
- Free tea & coffee in the room.
- Free wifi (ask for the password at the reception)
- Helpful reception.

CONS
- Small room size (avoid #208)
- Small bathroom
- You cannot open the windows in any of their rooms (checked at the reception)
- The room is cold. There is no heating. The airconditioning in the room doesn't seem capable of hearing up the room.
- Not so good (but not so bad neither) location. Some reviews said you can walk to the station in 5 minutes. Well, I am 6 foot 2 and I walk fast, it took me exactly 11 minutes to reach the hotel.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank brightonem
ThePearl H, Manager at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your review with us.
I would like to advice you that we do offer Executive Suits for customers who require more spacious room as our Double Rooms are Standart.

Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I stayed here 31st Jan 2014 for one night as i had to be up early for a job assesment the next morning so having come from Leeds needed somewhere to stay.

Everything about this hotel was fantatic. The look from the outside to the inside.
The room itself was lovely.The bathroom was spaciuous, moderrn and spotlessly clean. Plenty of clean towels and the shower was lovely and hot. Nice sized flat screen TV on the wall with freeview telly, the bed was super cosy and comfy. I literally found it so hard to want to leave that bed in the morning lol. Duck feather pillows as well which is a bonus. There was a big bottle of water in the room as well and tea and coffee making facilities, perfect!

Fancied a bottle of wine and as i didn't know the area or where any shops were i went to the bar, someone on here said they got a bottle for £10 but mine was £15. VERY pricey but thought sod it, it's not every day you stay in a nice hotel lol. I also ordered a take away, being on my own i didn't want to sit in the Thai restraunt on my own like a loner lol but the receptionist was fine with that.

Breakfast was fantastic. I was asked what i wanted brought to my room and what time. I chose 9am, it was brought bang on time with a fantastic selection. There was that much food that i even made a sandwich from it to take to my assesment. I was brought coffee, orange juice, croissant, butter, jam, couple of selections of cheeses, salami and something that looked like chorizo and a bread cake. Was absolutly delicious and clearly all fresh.

The staff were lovely and friendly, the room spotlessly clean, couldn't ask for more. Just a shame i have no reason to come to Peterborough again cause if i did i know where i'd be staying, no doubt about it.

Thanks The Pearl for a lovely stay :)

Dear Madam,

I hope to see you again soon.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2014

This was OK for a one night stay; the room at the back of the building was dominated by the bed leaving no space for a wardrobe; the upside was it was relatively quiet. Two of us stayed; the preordering of breakfast did not make clear we should have ordered two of each item. The upshot was only one tray arrived, though the second one came quickly enough. The amount of food was adequate though the limited space meant sitting on the bed.
The bathroom was small though clean.
When we arrived the restaurant was not yet open for the event so the exterior lights on he sign and by the front door were not on. It made spotting the hotel difficult, and a risky approach in the winter's dark. The price wasn't too bad, but if staying longer I'd like a wardrobe, or at least hanging space and two chairs.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NotquiteRon
ThePearl H, Manager at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. I am sorry to hear that your stay with us at The Pearl Hotel did not meet your expectation. I can assure you that we take the feedback of our guests seriously and we always look for ways to improve our guests’ experiences.

Turkey
Reviewed 11 January 2014

This small hotel offers rather a unique experience. It is situated over a magnificent Thai Restaurant which I didn't get the chance to try out. There is ample parking and good security on the door. With a small reception area the check in procedure is simple, friendly and efficient.

As soon as you open the door to your room you know that you have arrived somewhere special. Corporate hotel rooms just don't look like this. The rooms are large and very comfortable. There is an abundance of furniture in the well decorated rooms and an air conditioning / heating unit that works very effectively at keeping the room temperature just as you want it.

The usual coffee and tea complimentaries are on offer and the general quality is of a very good standard. The TV screens are much bigger than most hotels offer which makes viewing quite pleasant. Equally the bathroom is of a good size and everything works as it should.

I was very impressed with this hotel and with the breakfast offered in the morning. It is basically brought to your room on a tray. What this hotel does not offer is any communal areas or other facilities but if you want a very comfortable room within very easy walking distance of Peterborough town centre then this most definately fits the bill. With a nice Thai Restaurant directly underneath this is an added bonus.

Definately one to recommend.

2 Thank TAVAKLI
ThePearl H, General Manager at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear Sir,

I hope to see you again soon.

york
Reviewed 10 January 2014

This place was not quite what I was expecting. It is definitely not boutique, more a glorified B&B, and therefore quite expensive for what is offered. The rooms are clean, and mine was large, but really quite simple and especially the bathroom. There are no communal areas and breakfast is served in the room. I felt it had a slightly seedy feel and wouldn't feel safe as a female alone there as the doors were very flimsy. The hotel is on a main road so quite noisy and there is no central heating just a unit that will either blow cold or hot air and therefore quite noisy. Everyone I came accross was polite, but I won't be returning.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
ThePearl H, Manager at The Pearl Hotel, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Dear Katie,

I would like to assure you that even for such a small size hotel we are, we have 24 hours Security Guard on the site so there should be no reason our guests to feel insecure.
Thank you for your time again.

The Pearl Hotel Manager