“Retro 70s works fine”

and 1 more site!
Newark Hotel
Ranked #23 of 27 Hotels in Peterborough
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I stayed as a single traveller in a Standard Room, but it had a washbasin and towels and soap were provided. The room overlooked the road and with the windows open it was a bit noisy, even for a Saturday night. However, with the windows shut the traffic noise was so muffled that it didn't disturb me. The room was small but adequate and the bathrooms were just oposite. Everything was spotlessly clean too.
There is free WiFi, but my very aged laptop could not get Hotmail, when I did finally manage to connect to the Internet. The Receptionist was more than happy to allow me to use her Reception Computer to have a quick look at my emails. That's good old fashined service.
Breakfast was all that you could expect as a Full English, nicely cooked too. Plenty of cereals to start off.
And the decor? Right out of the 1970s and even some of the new bar furniture has been faithfully copied into the style. Much of the other furniture has been recovered and it was actually a nice change form the Coporate Jellymould that one finds everywhere these days.
Would I stay there again? Yes - it's a good budget hotel.

Room Tip: if you are a very light sleeper, ask for a room that does not overlook the road, or just keep the wi...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 16 May 2013

Travelled as a pair from work and had 2 rooms booked. The outside of the hotel is very old looking and I did have doubts but the receptionist who dealt with us was very friendly and offered to book us a hotel to go to our conference the next day. She informed us we had a single room and one was a double so we took pot luck. I got the double and though not a great room it was adequate for my needs on first inspection. But there was lots of noise from people sat outside in the smoking area below my room and as people walked about you could hear everything. Chldren running up and down the corridor outside my room didn't help. Room and bathroom was basic but clean. I did start to worry about how I would sleep there for 2 nights and didn't really feel particularly secure (2 single females travelling). I took a shower but made sure door was secured from inside before I dared and then left bathroom door open so I could hear anyone coming in. Would not have dared leave laptop etc in room.

My colleague came to see me in my room after an hour and said her room was dreadful. It was extremely cold and she had been sat on the bed wrapped in the towels but was still cold! Her room was very noisy right above the main road and was tiny with no shower, only a damaged bath she would not have dared get into anyway. She had not even opened her case to unpack. We went down to reception who informed us they were fully booked and could not move her.

We went back to my room and went online and booked an alternative hotel in the city centre and checked out of the Newark Hotel. They were very polite about it and said they would refund the second nights stay. Obviously we lost the cost of the first night but we were so pleased to be out of there we didn;t care and even informed work we would cover that cost ourselves if necessary.

Would not contemplate staying there again and would not recommend it to anyone, despite the nice staff.

Room Tip: Go elswhere or ensure you book a double, no room to bend in the singles
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Stayed here for 4 months in room 20 small single ensuite very comfortable,serviced every day spot on. breakfast something for everybody i olso had 5 other collegues staying all very happy not like the waitress at breakfast bit grumpy and sharp but service very good. evening meals served looked very good and though we ate at work.
The bar well very nice after a hard day at work, bar staff great and friendly ginger will look after you specially at the weekend with x factor.
Secure parking beer garden tv lounge sky sports got it all even charlie and loosey

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 September 2012

A room that was not en-suite had been booked for me at £34, a price I thought very competitive. I soon found out why so cheap. However, trying to upgrade to a room with facilities I could only be offered a twin room as £57! I thought this rather pricey for a toilet but eventually I had to pay £50 for the room. When I got to my room (at the end of a long corridor - and I have COPD!) I found a room which was far too small for anything other than a single. The room was dingy and depressing, indeed dark enough to require a light to read by. The small space between the beds was too small for anything other than a tiny chair, the only one in the room. The furniture, such as it was, could best be described as 'tired', and that's being kind. Whilst the bedding appeared clean, the top sheet had a hole in it. The bathroom was clean and the breakfast perhaps 'adequate'. No food was available - on a Saturday night! Where anyone gets the idea that this standard warrants a price tag of £57 is a guessing game. I often book for up to 20 people in this area. What a shame that the Management 'win' a fight for an extra £16 from me but subsequently lose the 'war' worth around £600 a night. FInally, should you still wish to book be prepared to face an onslaught by two very noisy and aggressive small dogs.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my daughter

Never ever stay her !!!!! on checking in my hotel room had not been cleaned !!

I then went down to reception and told the receptionist that there was SICK in the sink , BLOOD in the bed , and all she replied was it would ne cleaned for when i returned!!

My daughter who is 8 though this was terrible.

Price for this room £68.00 was a rip off (premier Inn is less and your guaranteed clean rooms)

No Parking as car park was full !!!

The breakfast was served by a lady who looked 90, and was very very basic !!!

The hotel if thats what you call it is very dated and needs modernising.

The bathroom had a very small shower and even my daughter struggled for space.

MY ADVICE DONT GO EVER !!!!!!!

Room Tip: Dont bother all rooms on check out looked tired and in need of modernising !!!!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Judith944
Reviewed 26 April 2012 via mobile

Have stayed here 3 times and this will be my last. On this occastionthe room was freezing the whole time we were there. Room wason top floor walls paper thin and heard every word the people next door were saying. Wifi is rubbbish and let me on for about 5mins before crashing. Bed was comfortable enough but as I was freezing never got comfortable at all and didn't fancy the jaggy blanket to help heat me up. Breakfast was ok. Not much of a selection. Place is locked up at midnight so you are basically locked in after then.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I have stayed many times at this hotel. It has average to good rooms but for the cost I find it's very reasonable. Management do try to look after you and the breakfast is very good being freshly cooked. I travelled by Motorbike this time & although the rear secure car park was satisfactory I asked if I could use one of the empty garages for parking, they duly obliged so very pleased bout that. The hotel has a bar which is good with satellite TV, it has a lounge room for relaxing with large TV & a boardroom for business meetings. The location is 15-20 mins walk into the town centre & the main bypass road out of town is only 5 mins away. I would recommend this hotel as a good budget hotel, friendly staff with clean & comfortable rooms. Definitely worth considering.

• Stayed: April 2012