“A bit like Fawlty Towers”

Great Northern Hotel
Ranked #9 of 27 Hotels in Peterborough
Dublin, Ireland
“A bit like Fawlty Towers”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Arrived late at night with a colleague and were both very tired. Check in was fine but then my room key did not work, it took the receptionist more than one go to sort it out. Finally got into the room to find a lot of light switches that served no function and also most of the lights did not work. The next morning my colleague had a very early knock on his door from housekeeping who had come to fix the lights!
While the rooms were fine, clean & the staff nice, my colleague had only tepid shower water for the 3 nights we stayed, on the third morning the lights in my room gave up completely and so as we had an early start, I had to shower, dress and pack in the dark.
Breakfast was OK, usual mix but peculiarly each morning there seemed to be less food/choice available - do they stock the dining room early in the week and wait until everything has run out?

My colleague was also kept awake by late night repair works at the train station, this was not the hotel's fault but on top of everything else, it didn't help.

When we mentioned water and light problems to the receptionist on duty, she seemed to be surprised, which was odd given the amount of reviews the hotel has received with comments about cold showers and dim lights.
Think before you book this hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the station
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank R B
Shaun R, General Manager at Great Northern Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
RB

Thank you for your review. It is disappointing to hear that on this occasions we did not meet your expectations.
We do try to make sure our rooms are functional and up to date as possible, and I am aware due to the age of the building there are certain rooms that have been modified over the years and possibly areas still need to be addressed.
We are planning to refurbish 10 rooms in July and over a period of time all rooms will be modernised.
Breakfast is a standard offering and I shall be looking into this as to why, the buffet, changed daily.
Please accept my apologies, and as you can see from our recent reviews, we do generally meet the expectations of our guests, so I do hope you will stay with us again.
Basil Fawlty
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Ashington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

I had booked this hotel last minute as i had an train early the next day for the low price i really had mo expectations, the room was of high standards in keeping with the decor the bathroom was luxurious the bed was huge and the best one ive slept in on all my visits to hotels. The location was directly opposite the station and just a short walk to the shopping centre my only regret was that i only stayed one night if my travels bring me back to peterborough this is my first choice to stay as long as i get a discount price again as i booked it through a travel booking website.

• Stayed April 2014
Swalk-4u

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the hotel. We do try to offer excellent customer service, whilst achieving value for money and I am happy that we met both of these criteria s.

I do hope that we will see you back soon at the Great Northern Hotel

Grimsby
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Room excellent, maid/room service excellent, reception team excellent, restaurant team excellent! You must if going to Peterborough try this hotel . . You will not be disappointed. Nice touch a basket of fruit, with a card for our anniversary. To everyone at the hotel thank you very much. We will be back . . .

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Shaun R, General Manager at Great Northern Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
JohnGrimsby

Congratulations again on your 40th anniversary..

We are so pleased that your weekend was so enjoyable and we had a small part to play in this..I do hope that we will see you again at the Great Northern Hotel.
We constantly review our services and your feedback is crucial to gage how we are achieving our levels of service, and facilities.

Bexleyheath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at this hotel for the weekend and had a wonderful time. It was spotlessly clean and the food was lovely. The staff were helpful, polite and above all else, very friendly. I was dubious about the location, opposite the train station, but can honestly say, it made not one bit of difference once you were inside.
An absolute gem, and I have already recommend to friends.

Anne f

It is always a pleasure to hear that our guests enjoy the Great Northern Hotel.
We do try to provide simple but effective service , and as you kindly noted, impeccable cleanliness.

I do hope that we will see yourself and your husband again, and we do appreciate the fact that you are already recommending our hotel.

On behalf of myself and my staff...our sincere thanks.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed here for one night on my way from late meetings in London and was off to Norfolk the next day, and had the most comfortable night's sleep. It still feels like a historic railway hotel, and the rooms and even the corridors feel atmospheric with their wooden panelling. The staff were very reassuring and attentive, responding to my email informing them I was going to be arriving late and telling me it was going to be OK. I didn't have time for breakfast, but found the room to be extremely clean, large and comfortable, quiet -- just perfect. They have the right priorities for a hotel: comfort without fussiness, brilliant customer service (especially Lidia!) and value for money. Thank you!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Shaun R, General Manager at Great Northern Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Artand Artefacts

Your kind comments are much appreciated.

We do strive to meet our customer expectations with the minimum of fuss and pretentiousness, whilst providing good value for money.

I will pass on your comments to all the team , especially Lidia who , I agree, is a valuable asset to the hotel.

We wish to see you again next time you pass the Great Northern Hotel.

Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

A large imposing hotel our bedroom was superb 1st floor No 125 with a four poster bed, Food was very good by Chef Mark with very large portions, Only drawback no lift, but had cases carried to the bedroom. no air condition but fans provided

Room Tip: plenty of parking or across from the railway station
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Shaun R, General Manager at Great Northern Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Patricia j

Thank you for your review..I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel, and I will certainly pass on your comments to Mark
Your other comments are issues we know about...and have been discussed as to what solutions are available.
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I recently stayed here and the room was far too too hot, and very noisy rooms and smokers were outside my room which made it smokey and noisy and disturbing to me. Breakfast was good and the room was well equipped large

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Faceyreviews
Shaun R, General Manager at Great Northern Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Faceyreviews

Thank you for your comments, and I am sorry that you had a terrible nights sleep.

Our rooms do not have AC but we do offer fans if requested,...I am sorry about the outside noise we do ask our guests to respect other residents and behave quietly

I do hope that these issue have not dampened your opinion of the Great Northern Hotel..and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Regards