“Like living in a palace”

Great Northern Hotel
Ranked #9 of 27 Hotels in Peterborough
Monroe, Connecticut
“Like living in a palace”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Older hotel impeccably kept up. Luxury at its finest. If you sign up for the B&B and I think you should unless you hate food, the breakfasts are unbelievable. Eggs Benedict 2 ways, vegetarian breakfast choices hot and cold! Smoke Haddock topped with mustard Hollandaise, and the list goes on and on. The food in the pub/dining room were a complete surprise. I asked for my pan seared salmon over pea and mint risotto to be cooked rare. I could not have done better myself. PERFECT
So if you want a tad of extravagance, stay here. Now be warned to Americans, There is no lift/elevator but they will carry your luggage for you, and no air conditioning. But in England hotel windows do open and fresh air is superb. To those who made comments about the trains, I was here for 4 nights. Never once did I hear a train. The only sounds I heard were the collared doves coo-ing.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Shaun R, General Manager at Great Northern Hotel, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Gary

Thank you for such a positive review..We do receive quite a few compliments regarding our breakfasts, but I am also pleased that you have enjoyed your stay and understand what we have to offer.
Without feedback we cannot identify areas for improvement and your understanding on our location and the fact we have no lift is much appreciated.

I do hop that we will see you at the Great Northern Hotel again.

Shaun Rollinson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We stayed here on the 20/05/2014, and we had a warm welcome from kandice in reception thanks for upgrading us the room was lovely. We had a Bar meal and that was lovely too . Also Lydia made us feel welcome too
Hope too see you soon
Steve and Michele

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Steve and Michele

I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, and certainly your kind comments will be passed on to the staff members concerned.
It is so nice for us to receive such positive feedback and it is very much appreciated that you have taken the time to write your review.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Great Northern Hotel soon.

Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I have stayed at The Great Northern on several occasions, and for a hotel adjacent to a major railway station it is, it is of a very high standard. The the rooms and very comfortable, the staff are friendly, and the food excellent.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Allentonya

Thank you for reviewing the hotel, and also becoming a regular guest at the Great Northern Hotel.
I will pass on your comments to all the relevant staff concerned, and hop to meet you personally myself next time you are staying with us.

Washington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Really good quality hotel especially for the mid-budget price. Really nice, great staff also.

Large bath, plus shower - in fact excellent bathroom all round!

Location right next to the train station was ideal - and staff happy to recommend a good taxi for where we needed to be.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Shaun R, General Manager at Great Northern Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Kev36663

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Great Northern Hotel..We do try to make sure our rooms are clean, functional and as up to date as possible. It is also nice to hear that the staff met with your expectations.
I do hope to see you again at the hotel very soon.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Arrived late at night with a colleague and were both very tired. Check in was fine but then my room key did not work, it took the receptionist more than one go to sort it out. Finally got into the room to find a lot of light switches that served no function and also most of the lights did not work. The next morning my colleague had a very early knock on his door from housekeeping who had come to fix the lights!
While the rooms were fine, clean & the staff nice, my colleague had only tepid shower water for the 3 nights we stayed, on the third morning the lights in my room gave up completely and so as we had an early start, I had to shower, dress and pack in the dark.
Breakfast was OK, usual mix but peculiarly each morning there seemed to be less food/choice available - do they stock the dining room early in the week and wait until everything has run out?

My colleague was also kept awake by late night repair works at the train station, this was not the hotel's fault but on top of everything else, it didn't help.

When we mentioned water and light problems to the receptionist on duty, she seemed to be surprised, which was odd given the amount of reviews the hotel has received with comments about cold showers and dim lights.
Think before you book this hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the station
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank R B
RB

Thank you for your review. It is disappointing to hear that on this occasions we did not meet your expectations.
We do try to make sure our rooms are functional and up to date as possible, and I am aware due to the age of the building there are certain rooms that have been modified over the years and possibly areas still need to be addressed.
We are planning to refurbish 10 rooms in July and over a period of time all rooms will be modernised.
Breakfast is a standard offering and I shall be looking into this as to why, the buffet, changed daily.
Please accept my apologies, and as you can see from our recent reviews, we do generally meet the expectations of our guests, so I do hope you will stay with us again.
Basil Fawlty
Hotel Manager

Ashington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

I had booked this hotel last minute as i had an train early the next day for the low price i really had mo expectations, the room was of high standards in keeping with the decor the bathroom was luxurious the bed was huge and the best one ive slept in on all my visits to hotels. The location was directly opposite the station and just a short walk to the shopping centre my only regret was that i only stayed one night if my travels bring me back to peterborough this is my first choice to stay as long as i get a discount price again as i booked it through a travel booking website.

• Stayed April 2014
Swalk-4u

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the hotel. We do try to offer excellent customer service, whilst achieving value for money and I am happy that we met both of these criteria s.

I do hope that we will see you back soon at the Great Northern Hotel

Grimsby
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Room excellent, maid/room service excellent, reception team excellent, restaurant team excellent! You must if going to Peterborough try this hotel . . You will not be disappointed. Nice touch a basket of fruit, with a card for our anniversary. To everyone at the hotel thank you very much. We will be back . . .

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Shaun R, General Manager at Great Northern Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
JohnGrimsby

Congratulations again on your 40th anniversary..

We are so pleased that your weekend was so enjoyable and we had a small part to play in this..I do hope that we will see you again at the Great Northern Hotel.
We constantly review our services and your feedback is crucial to gage how we are achieving our levels of service, and facilities.