“Cheap, good location, run down, no comfort”

Great Northern Hotel
Ranked #10 of 27 Hotels in Peterborough
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I've stayed here for a couple of days in June 2014 on Business.

The good:
* Location is great (city centre & train station close by)
* Staff was (with one exception but everyone has a bad day) very friendly and helpful
* Room itself was always very clean
* WiFi worked great the whole time (but requires a one-time registration)

The so-so:
* Food was okay, not good, not bad, had lunch and breakfast
* Noise from the train station could be heard but surprisingly quiet so not too bad
* Kitchen closes 21:00
* There's no lift
* Maybe this was just my room but I didn't have any easily accessible power sockets which is annoying when basically everyone has something to charge these days

The bad:
* The hotel is old and it shows, windows for example are very old and dirty (the kind of dirt you can't clean easily, paint coming off etc.)
* There is no air conditioning and it got very very hot (see other reviews for the exact same complaint), you can get a fan at reception but it was the dirtiest I've seen in a long time, how one can't take the time to clean them before handing them out I don't understand and it only helps so much
* Walls are thin, TV from the next room could be heard easily

Verdict: I'd definitely not go here again. When you're on holiday and want to save some money this is probably okay but when you rely on a good nights sleep (e.g. for business) then you'd better pick a different hotel.

Room Tip: During summer don't get a front facing room! 1st floor is better than the 2nd in terms of heat.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Konrad_Holger
Shaun R, General Manager at Great Northern Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Konra_Holger

It is much appreciated that you have taken the time to write your review. I am pleased that we met your expectations in certain areas, and your points have been noted about the areas where you feel we need to improve.
We are constantly updating and refurbishing public areas, as well as bedrooms, but this is only started in the last 4 months, and I am sure that next time you stay with us you will see a big difference in certain areas.
There is no excuse for lack of customer service and I do apologise for this..your points will be discussed with the team and rectified immediately..
I do hope that we will see you again at the hotel.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed here for one night at the beginning of June on a bed and breakfast rate... ... Hotel was ideally situated near city centre .. the room was dated but clean ... we decided to eat in the restaurant.. the staff were lovely and very attentive... the food excellent and good value for money.
At 3am i was woken by loud music playing so I rang reception and there was a party going on in a room nearby...the noise stopped after soon after i had reported it.....it was a hot night and the windows would only open so much.... a fan was needed really and we didn't sleep very well...
The Full English breakfast the next morning was superb.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Candice

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Great Northern Hotel..I am aware that some of our rooms are dated and we do have a programme in place, and we have already refurbished some of our rooms..
We do pride ourselves that our service is always of the highest and I am pleased we have done so this time.
Your comments will be forwarded to all areas and we look forward to welcoming you at the hotel again.

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I have just returned from a weekend away at this hotel, the food was lovely, the staff we're very friendly and couldn't do enough to help, the room we had was amazing we were upgraded to a suite and can honestly say was huge and very clean, we would definitely be staying again, we had a excellent deal from groupon all our meals and upgraded room for 2 nights 2 people £129 all in if this is a groupon deal again I will be buying more and taking family next time.

Peterborough is just behind the hotel with a huge indoor shopping centre, and beyond this the town which is pretty nice I have to say, if you've never been before do try especially at that price what a steal

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Angela P

Angela P

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Great Northern .We were overwhelmed by the response we had from the offer and certainly will be doing something like this again, we do have one running for our restaurant at the moment.
Your comments will be passed to all the team and we look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again.
Regards

Reviewed 21 July 2014

My wife and I were overwhelmed by the warm welcome of Amanda on reception and the friendly attentive staff in the dining room. The quality and presentation of the food was excellent and everyone certainly made my birthday celebration one to remember.The bed was huge and comfortable and the room was spacious. We would not hesitate to return.

Room Tip: Try ask for a room at the rear as noise from the station could annoy some people. We had a corner su...
1  Thank Dave K
Shaun R, General Manager at Great Northern Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dave K

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the great Northern Hotel, and that you felt the staff were attentive and professional.
Your comments will be passed on to all the team, and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Not exactly ideal for business-trippers or anyone who values a quiet night. But the location is really good. It was all very vanilla...but minus any discernible flavour. The place has some character...like that of the member of reception who wrapped up my checkout by flinging a copy of the receipt across the desk and was 'greeting' the next guest before the receipt even landed. What a little charmer. I cannot recommend this hotel except possibly to those on a very flying visit who do not mind rude awakenings and robotic staff.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank WeizenbierTreaclePud

WeizenbierTreacle

Thank you for your review, and my sincere apologies that we did not meet with your expectations.
It is unusual that we fall so short on our customer service, and this will be addressed with all the team.
Being a city centre hotel we do have the odd occasion where outside noise occurs, and although out of our control we do try to patrol this accordingly.

I do hope to see you again at the hotel, and allow us to show you our normal high standards of customer care.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Just had two night stay at this hotel. Considering this trip was booked using a wowcher, we were treated as if we paid full price. Excellent service with very friendly staff, spotless room and excellent choice of food. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Shaun R, General Manager at Great Northern Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Chubbly

The wowcher deal that you stayed on turned out to be extremely popular, so keep your eyes open we will probably be doing this again...
We do try to give the highest standard of service at all times and I am pleased that you felt we achieved this during your stay..
Your comments will be passed around to all the team and we look forward to welcoming you again at the Great Northern Hotel.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Booked to stay here on Friday night, was pleasantly surprised when I got of the train it was literally there, ideal as being on my own in a place I didn't know I didn't fancy a trek to anywhere looking like I didn't belong.

I was greeted by a bit of an abrupt receptionist, who demanded payment before I had even checked into the room, I've worked in hotels before and to be honest I find it a little weird you pay before you even have your room key, isn't that what check out is all about ?

anyway I was like meh it's prob rally the end of her shift or what ever, I'm all for giving people benefit of the doubt. I was told my room was 220, on the second floor, I loved the stairs, added a real quirk to the place. when I got to my room I loved the decor and old roll top bath ! however I was greeted by about 15 blue bottles flying around the bedroom and I couldn't get rid of them, I think they probably died from the heat in the room, which was roasting. I noticed our room was near the back of the hotel near bins and skips so with it being summer, it's a given, however really annoying and felt a bit unclean after that.

we then asked for late check out the next morning, me and my partner both work in the navy and hasdnt seen each other in over 4 weeks due to work commitments therefore this was a quick catch up before another course began. and where hoping for a bit of a lie in before heading back to opposite ends of the country again, we where told we could have an extra half an hour but that was it, which was disappointing but never mind.

the morning we where due to check out, the shower didn't work, but because of the heat in the room I was totally over it. the shower was either really really hot, or really really cold, no middle ground, we ended up having a bath on a morning but never mind. we then told the woman when we checked out who said "aw I know it's really hot in summer and really cold in winter" surely you should know if something is wrong try and fix it, it was so hot I literally couldn't get dresses with our having to waft myself with the towel and couldn't put my makeup on. not the hotels fault but some times it's nice to get ready on a morning.

I think the hotel was really nice despite the hiccups and would defiantly stay again if I was in the London vicinity, a great central location and not to far away from the shopping and resturants and coffee shops, couldn't hear the trains either which is great with it being less than 20 metres away, we only paid £55 for this room, so I shouldn't really complain,

thanks for a nice stay gn

x

1  Thank natalieannashman

Natalieananashman

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, and I appreciate your candid and constructive comments...Without feedback like yours we can never improve on the offerings that we give to our guests.
It is our policy to take payment on check in and I am sorry if this offended you, it was not meant too at all...I love you comments about the stairs, as I agree it does add a little difference to the property, but I do understand that for certain clients this might be tiresome.
Overall I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and that you would visit us again, and rest assured the comments that you have made will be addressed.