“Very calm and cosy”

Bettys Cafe Tea Rooms - Harrogate
Ranked #36 of 442 Restaurants in Harrogate
Price range: US$0 - US$61
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Very calm and cosy”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I went to Betty's on a Wednesday evening at around 5.45pm when the front part of the cafe was about to change to serving hot food. There was no queue at this time, so plenty of choice of seating. I was on my own and sat in the window with a lovely cup of chinese rose petal tea. I waited until the evening menus appeared and ordered a Yorkshire Slow cooked Steak pie. This was delicious. I thought it was priced on the high side but there was plenty of choice for a small tea shop and there were cheaper things on the menu (but a steak pie seemed perfect for a chilly evening). The waiting staff were very polite and calm, no rushing about at all, which made for a lovely peaceful atmosphere. Thanks Betty's :)

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Portadown
“Poor show”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We made our way to Betty's with high anticipation for a special coffee!! Well, we queued outside clutching our menus in the cold, eventually we were shown to a seat and told to go to the counter to place our order. The menu was very limited and when I placed the order it was difficult to decide what I wanted as the food on the counter was not the same as on the menu. 2 coffees, a croissant and a selection of 3 minute pastries cost the princely sum of £15.00!!
Our coffees arrived, very nice but slightly cool!! A few minutes later the pastries arrived, the croissant was at best Luke warm and chewy, while the pastries were nice, but very small. We were surrounded by snobbish ladies who were blocking seats while they waited for their friends, chatting loudly on mobile phones, and competing to see who could talk the most nonsense. The worst thing of all was the queue of hopeful customers who had there faces pressed against the windows watching us try to enjoy our coffee and hoping we would hurry up to allow them to have our seats for their expensive cuppa. The shop on the other side was crammed and it was impossible to purchase any food items. Not somewhere I would rush back to!!!

5 Thank joan1717
“Always worth a visit!”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Our favourite spot for breakfast when we've dropped the kids at school. Always enjoyable and always great service.

Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Betty's is Betty's”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

What can you say about Betty's that hasn't already been said Betty's is Harrogate.
People come from far and wide to experience the traditional afternoon delight.
You still have to queue but that is to be expected with such a popular venue.

• Visited October 2013
Darlington, United Kingdom
“hygiene”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

After visiting Bettys Tearoom on Monday evening to celebrate my sons birthday, I was very concerned regarding one member of staff cleaning the inside of my coffee cup with a "J" cloth that had been actively used to clean down the counter where my coffee was being prepared. I refused the drink. Also, to my disbelief, kitchen staff where accumalating in the reception area, where one member of staff swore indirectly, where my family were dining.

The food and drink was good quality, but portions very small, and, even though expected, very expensive. I would not say that the food was of value.

3 Thank Matthew J