“Shocking”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harrogate
The Azalea Court Hotel
Ranked #88 of 99 Harrogate B&B and Inns
liverpool
“Shocking”
Reviewed 18 September 2011

I made the mistake of reading the reviews after it was too late to cancel, but i thought i would just make the most of it anyway and go with an open mind.. where do I start. Well firstly I have never complained about anywhere I have stayed as I am not a fussy person and just expect the minimum.. clean, warm, comfortable and welcoming. This disgusting hole was not even fit enough to put a dog in. Carpets encrusted in filth, excrement round the toilet bowl in our room when we arrived, surfaces covered in dirt and dust, the kitchen and dining area where equally as filthy, and unhygienic The house alarm was going off the entire night and I woke to floods of water coming through the ceiling onto my bed. I asked the staff (none of whom spoke english) to get the owner who came immediately from another hotel. She was rude, abusive, pointing and shouting in my face and refused to give me a refund or any compensation. I have never met anyone so rude in my entire life and it baffles me how such a person can be working in the hospitality industry. Her attitude became even worse when I informed her I would be contacting the tourist board which I certainly will. A disgrace to the industry and such a shame for such a dirty filthy hole to be in such a beautiful town.

Room Tip: Do not stay ever!
Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank LiverpoolCurlytots

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Whitby
Reviewed 13 September 2011

My daughter and I were going to the trade bridal exhibition and had left it a bit late to book, so I was pleased when I was told that they had a twin room at this hotel,it was £75 per room per night.There is no reception only an intercom to another hotel,our keys were waiting on a table.The carpet was filthy,en-suite grotty and we both ended up bitten by some infestation.Breakfast in the basement that used to be a Japanese restuarant.The carpet by the doors to the dining area were coved in slug trails,breakfast was awful only good thing was the perfectly cooked poached egg. We left on Monday evening having decided we could face another night in the stinking place.My credit card had been charged for the full amount 4 hours before we arrived, despite me being assured that payment was on checkout and I had said I would be using a different card. What ever you do DO NOT STAY HERE!!

Room Tip: I dont hink ther is a good room in the place,I wouldnt risk the sister hotel either.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank BubblesWhitby

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

Caldicot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2011

Dirty, poorly maintained worst place I've stayed in. Not even good for being cheap.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank nick r
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Reasons why you should not stay here:

1- You are greeted by an awful smell
2- No-one to greet you on arrival, just a telephone with directions to speak with someone.
That someone has trouble understanding you and vice versa.
3- When they say someone will be with you soon, expect to be waiting a while!
4- When shown into our room it was small, damp, mouldy and the bathroom was a
disgrace.
5- We were in a rush to go out so we quickly changed and got out of there.
6- On returning back the fire panel was going off. I rang reception and informed them, i also asked to change rooms. I had to ring twice.
7- The room we were placed in was much bigger and no mould, but the window would not shut and it was freezing all night long.
8- The window next to the broken one had a large crack down the pane
9- It was very very very noisey and we had a disturbed sleep.
10- TV signal poor
11- Breakfast was in the cellar which also had a nasty smell to it, it was quite cold down there and the breakfast was not up to much. Service was nice tho.
12- £65.00 a night, what an utter sham. The owners should read these reviews and try to improve the quality of paying guests stay.
13- needs updating badly!!!!!!

Room Tip: Come out of the Azalea and go opposite to the Holiday Inn
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Manchester
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Stayed over for the Julian Cope Gig. The worst Hotel I have EVER stayed in. Dirty, smelly. I slept with a T shirt over my pillow as I didn't want to touch it. I couldn't shower in the morning as the shower was just a dribble of water. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Midlands
Reviewed 24 July 2011

No one to greet on arrival just telephone with written instruction to press button A, this was answered by woman who spoke very little English and key left at side of telephone. Dirty entrance and musty/ damp/ dirty smell. Cramp bedroom, dirty floors and furniture. Dirty bathroom, bath and sink needed cleaning and back of bathroom door really filthy. Broken hook in bathroom which was dangerous, no hot water when arrived, next morning water scalding hot and impossible to adjust shower to get a constant temperature, broken toilet seat and no toilet paper or soap on arrival, toilet did not flush properly. Window not secure, television not working, no Wifi. Breakfast served in basement with water dripping through electrics in ceiling.

Room Tip: Keep out - Do not stay here!!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2011

My company booked this hotel for me and i have to say after reading the reviews on here i was rather concerned, but thought it could not be as bad - but it definately was!

I was checked in on the Saturday night into room D, on the ground floor and have to say the room was ok, a new en suite bathroom and it was clean. The only complaint I had, was that i seemed to be the only person in the hotel not complaining - however, every one else was outside my room and i could hear every word.

That evening I went out for dinner with colleagues, i had a missed call at about 8.30pm, i rang back within 5 minutes, but go no response so thought nothing of it. When i got back to the hotel, there was a sign on my door saying i had been booked into a single room, not a double and that they had entered my room, removed my luggage and put it in room 7!! I got to the room which had not been locked, and my belongings (which had been fully unpacked) had been thrown in - my £300 glasses had been thrown in the bottom of my bag not even put in the case. I was utterly disgusted that someone had moved my belongings - surely this is illegal!! The worst part was that my underwear which i had unpacked into the bedside table had been left in the room.

I went downstairs and the owner was there, i explained how unhappy i was about my belongings being moved, she said they had put me in the wrong room and i should have told her i was booked into a single room, insinuating i was at fault. After a rather fraught discussion, she walked out and left me without some of my belongings!

Room 7 was more a cupboard, definately not legal to advertise as a hotel room - i have added photos but there was a shower within the room, a sink, and then a toilet in a wardrobe. I did not sleep all night, i could hear every person passing on the street and at 3am someone even tried my door handle! I have never been so uncomfortable or felt so unsafe in a hotel.

Breakfast was ok, but the room was very very damp, it seems like a chance for all the guests to share the horrendous experiences they have had in the hotel.

I am no snob, and often stay in budget hotels on business but please do not book this place - it is more like a damp hostel - the owner owns 6 hotels in Harrogate and seems to decide on arrival which to put you on depending on the where rooms are flooded / vacant! I know her hotels in Harrogate include: -

- Azalea Court
- The Gables
- Ashley House Hotel

AVOID AVOID AVOID booking all these hotels as they will put you in any - they should be shut down!!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business