“Harrogate Break”

and 1 more site!
Ashwood House
Ranked #41 of 99 Harrogate B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 November 2010

I transfered to The Ashwood after deciding to extend my stay in Harrogate. The location of the guest house is ideal in a quiet location within walking distance of the town centre. The room I was shown to was spacious and clean with tea and coffee making facilities. The decor was a little dated and very dark but not offensive. The ensuite was adequate although the shower was disappointing, both the pressure and the stylet. Personally I am not a fan of coloured bathroom suites and matching towels but again this is a personal preference. The breakfast was good. An enjoyable short stay.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank HAIRYRUGGER
KristianAshwood, Owner at Ashwood House, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2011

Thank you very much for your comments but I do feel that you may have got us mixed up with another guest house, as we do not have any coloured bathroom suites, they are all modern and white and the water is run off the mains so has maximum pressure possible. All the rooms were refurbished so are all light and airy, which makes me think you have maybe got us confused with another establishment.

Reviewed 24 August 2010

I had always wanted to see the Yorkshire Dales but did not want to be too remote so Harrogate seemed to be the obvious choice.After much research I decided on Ashwood house and I was not disappointed. From the warm welcome to the time of departure I always felt comfortable and at ease. The proprieters Kristian and Nita were very helpful and accomodating and nothing was too much trouble for them. They even reccomended restaurants' places to see and also offered maps and directions. I had a lovely 5 day stay in a comfortable' pleasant' friendly guest house and would certainly return if the oportunity arose. The breakfast was cooked freshly to order and was enough to see me through most of the day and the coffee never stopped coming. Being in a side street away from traffic but just a short walk away from town added to the experience .

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank steveren
Reviewed 5 March 2010

I have been visiting Harrogate for ten years and have a point to stay at Ashwood House which without doubt has a superior level of comfort and service. The breakfast is delicious and the friendliness of both Anita and Christian make the whole experince very enjoyable.

When I travel with my husband he and Christian disappear for round of golf, not something that you would normally expect from the proprieter, but very welcome from my husband's point of view.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank gudgewatch
Reviewed 22 December 2009

We booked our stay after reading so many positive scores on Trip Advisor. We have done this so may times and never been disappointed but this time we were. There were in fact many positives to Ashwood House - the welcome from the proprietor (we presume that is who she was) - the delicious cooked full breakfast (one of the best so far) and the place was spotlessly c lean. BUT the place was tired, very basic without frills and not homely. It really does need a refurb. Carpets, television sets, decorating and bathroom toiletries all need a rethink. So sorry but we need to be honest and hope our comments are seen helpful and constructive.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BARGEE
KristianAshwood, Owner at Ashwood House, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2010

Firstly I would like to thank you for your very kind comments regarding our breakfast and the cleanliness of our home.
I do agree that the room you stayed in was a bit dated, but by the time you wrote your review, that was already in the process of being completely refurbished.
This room, as with the others, now has a flat screen TV with freeview.
As for the place being tired and not homely, we have a large number of guests returning time after time as they find it cosy and very homely. Although it is difficult to please everybody we really do try so if you would like to stay with us again, I am sure your opinion will then be different.

Reviewed 14 October 2009

I stayed at this guest house after an awful night at another local hotel and couldn't believe the difference. Not only did the staff (Kristian and Gill i think) help us as we were desperate to find a nice place to stay but the rooms were fantastic and the breakfast was great.

The staff were really friendly and were eager to help (Thank you for the iron and ironing board)

I would recommend this place to anyone staying in Harrogate

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank jblewp2009
Reviewed 25 September 2009

I cannot say enough about this wonderful guest house, wow, what a find! From the moment we arrived it was perfect. Free off street parking, beautiful room, great bed, lots of room and the best breakfast of our whole 2 week driving holiday.
Kristian is quite the personality, recommended a great local pub which is one of the oldes i Harrogate complete whith gas lights on the bar. Lots of great eating places to choose from and we tokk in a concert at the marvellous Royal Hall and all within a few minutes walk. Our whole experince in this lovely town was wonderful. I know that in going to Harrogate that this IS the place to stay. Thanks again Kristian.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 September 2009

We were looking for accommodation in York but found nothing that sounded very good value for money. Someone recommended Ashwood House and we found it to be such a good place to stay - it's only a few minutes' walk to the town centre, it's clean and tidy, it's well-kept, and the proprietors were very welcoming, friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble for them and the breakfasts were excellent - a great way to start the day. The bedrooms were well-fitted and the hotel is on a cul-de-sac so it was very peaceful. We had a very good time in Yorkshire and staying at Ashwood House was a big part of that. I can't recommend it more strongly!

• Stayed: August 2009