“'Building Amazing - food portions small and overpriced'”

Royal Baths Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #36 of 441 Restaurants in Harrogate
Price range: US$31 - US$123
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: An epicureans dream is how our Chinese restaurant has been described by one food magazine. Everything from the hand painted wash bowls in the toilets to the imported finest quality furniture has be meticulously hand picked to make The Royal Baths the very best restaurant it can be. We have spent in excess of 1.5 million pounds on the interior, maintaining the styles of the famous baths. Our chefs have come from the very best restaurants from around the world to bring you the delights of the East. We serve traditional food as well as cuisine you may not have seen before. The Royal Baths will astound both your eyes and your taste buds.
UK
“'Building Amazing - food portions small and overpriced'”
Reviewed 1 January 2009

On entering, the first thing that strikes you is the amazing building and luxurious surroundings. The furniture is the nicest I have sen in any Chinese restaurant here and in China! The staff were very friendly and attentive and were quick to take our order.

Unfortunately, the excitement of the restaurant and opulent surroundings soon disappeared when the food arrived, quickly turning to disappointment. The portions were incredibly small, flavours were nice enough but the overiding fact that this meal was definitely not value for money, marred the experience. We ordered enough for 2 including starter but still felt hungry at the end of the meal. We ordered the Scallops at £10.95 and my biggest bug bear is when they slice them into 3 rather than being able to savour the taste of one meaty Scallop. This cuts down on their costs but impairs the customers enjoyment of what could be a great dish.

I did inform two seperate members of staff and would have liked a questionnaire to complete as customer experience is key for a new restaurant.

A shame as a great location and building but, by reducing their portion sizes so much (even in China I have never seen such small portions), I woud not return as just not value for money.

1 Thank tillytomi

Maastricht, The Netherlands
“Just OK”
Reviewed 26 November 2008

The decor is outstanding; it has been beautifully refurbished. The food, however, was not good. My starter was overly seasoned--I nearly choked on the amount of pepper used. My main course was the opposite--it was extremely bland and I lost my appetite completely after a fish bone became lodged in my throat. I know this can happen with certain types of fish, as it's happened to me before, so I don't blame the chef for this, but the dish was boring and unappetising--like eating cardboard I imagine.
Personally, you cannot beat the location, but there is far better high-end East-Asian cusine to be found in Harrogate. This restaurant is all about the building, not the cuisine.

1 Thank bos77bruins
UK
“Elegant experience of a unique Chinese Restaurant”
Reviewed 6 November 2008

For years Harrogate Royal Baths Central Hall stayed empty and the well-known entrance with the revolving doors remained boarded up – it was so sad to come to Harrogate to see it.
This time when I went past the building I saw that the boards were gone and this huge brass lectern was on the steps. There was nothing on the outside to tell what was inside (WHY??) but I could not believe my eyes – I’ve entered an elegant restaurant reception area.
A Chinese restaurant – I could see that the restaurant now occupied the central hall of the building. – You might have an idea what a Chinese restaurant looks like – you’d be so wrong! – I say again – elegance is the key word!
I decided to go back and try what they were like…. and I am so glad I did!!! It looked so different at night – it was like stepping into relaxed pampered comfort.
I waited for friends in the bar area – loved the mood lighting – and then – you really cannot believe how the owners had rejuvenated the central hall – it is still the same but oh so beautifully done, combining the Graded building and its history with the new owners visionary designs to make it feel at the same time both historic and Chinese so comfortably! These two concepts do not fight at all – they compliment each other!
I’ve had ‘chinese’ and I’ve had ‘chinese’ – but I have never had ‘Chinese’ like in the Royal Baths Chinese Restaurant. The menu was so varied I had difficulties choosing – but the hot hors d'euvres started us on a delicious journey through the menu. I will NOT prejudice anyone by saying what I had as what we like is a very individual matter… I had a memorable feast. And I might be the only person whose chopsticks might be better used as drumsticks – but as cutlery is also provided I was all right. I liked the un-stated crockery just carrying the Chinese symbols, the place settings … I won’t go on… - This is elegance! Staff was so courteous and attentive, it was a ‘leisurely pace’ throughout the meal and whilst pausing between courses I could not but look admiringly at the renovation that has taken place there, it is now so light and fresh and – I am sorry I have to say it again – elegant!

I had to say that when I heard a Chinese restaurant was going to open in Royal Baths – I thought I had misheard and could not visualise it at all… How wrong can one be… I suppose I have used a lot of ‘uberword’ – but this is how the restaurant was for me! - I suggest you go and see for yourself!