“Small size, big taste!”

Tah Chang
Ranked #16 of 401 Restaurants in Harrogate
Price range: US$20 - US$26
Reviewed 14 July 2017 via mobile

Great food. Small restaurant so booking advised. Really friendly staff who will explain any dishes if you're unsure. We can recommend the duck rolls, salt and pepper squid, crispy chilli beef and red thai pork curry. Chang and Singha beer sold. A definite recommend...

1  Thank vinrouge63

Reviewed 13 July 2017

Beautiful restaurant with authentic Thai decor, welcomimg attentive staff. I haven't tasted such wonderful Thai cuisine since visiting BAngkok a few years ago. Lovely descriptive menu with a good variety of starter and mains. Beautifully presented food with well balanced flavours, would totally recommend

Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

I love Thai food and given how many places to eat there are in Harrogate I feel we are a bit lacking in that department. So I really looked forward to trying this new place - with crossed fingers that it was going to be stunning. So the positives first - the decor was lovely and modern and the service and staff were really good (and not dressed in Thai 'costumes'). The place had a good atmosphere and was busy. My friend is veggie and the varied menu offered a veggie version of every dish (similarly a chicken, pork, prawn version) which was excellent. Everything on the menu was Thai or Thaiabouts (unlike many Thai places that seem to offer lots of Chinese food). My main - red curry - was very nice, the portion sizes were fine and tap water was readily available. So all in all lots of positives. Sooo stuff that was less positive. Two, out of 3 of our starters weren't great - my friend had pork and seaweed and the pork was burned - I had tom yum soup and it was a small portion of a very dark, salty/intense soup that I guess had not been made from fresh base ingredients. If I went again I would just order a main - perhaps with a side of veg. The cheapest main was £12 (veggie) and many were over £15 then rice/noodles were £2 or £3 in addition. So meals cost between £15 and £20 each. I was really really hoping this place would be the small, authentic Thai restaurant with fresh, delicious fare that Harrogate needs. On reflection I think it is nice, and I would return BUT on first experience the food at the Orchid is better - and if anything the Orchid is slightly cheaper.

Reviewed 8 July 2017

We decided to try takeaway from here, as we have a poorly dog and couldn't eat in. Frankly, we can't understand the great reviews and are wondering if we got a different chef who has no taste buds, as EVERYTHING was extremely over-salted. When you order honey garlic ribs, you expect a sweetness, but all you could taste was salt. The same with the garlic, pepper and coriander beef and the satay. If it was just one dish, you could call that an accident, but this chef clearly doesn't taste the food or thinks this is acceptable. We are busy business owners and eat Thai 2-3 times per month-usually from Sukothai-so we know what good Thai food tastes like. The quality of the meat seemed to be really good-the ribs weren't as fatty as most-but it was hard to pick out any flavour other than salt.I just don't understand how any chef could send this food out -we couldn't even finish our food.

It is a lovely decor and has great potential, but changes need to be made.The garlic rice and the spring rolls were good, though.

1  Thank Snupy11
Reviewed 7 July 2017 via mobile

We visited on a weeknight and got seated straight away. The decor in this small restaurant is really nice and the service was quick and friendly.
The food is pretty spot on and really tasty. The side of broccoli we got wasn't really worth £4.50 but the rest of the food was .
The atmosphere was a bit flat and the music could do with being a little louder, it kind of made it a little intense, particularly as it's such a small place.

Overall though, this is a great place with beautiful food. Definitely recommend a visit.