“Still great”

van Zeller
Price range: US$32 - US$32
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: Van Zeller restaurant in Harrogate has a chef of rare gifts in native Yorkshireman Tom Van Zeller. Creating delicious and innovative British cuisine is the mission here, and one that has succeeded admirably. The smart dining room is both stylish and comfortable, a fine, intimate bistro-style setting for the kitchen's high ambitions. Chef Van Zeller started his career locally at the famous Betty's Tearooms and Rudding Park before learning his craft in some Michelin-starred restaurants in London, Sydney and New York. Now returning to his roots, Van Zeller won the backing of esteemed restaurateur David Moore (two Michelin starred Pied a Terre and Michelin starred l'Autre Pied) in creating Van Zeller restaurant. Almost immediately, his creative cuisine has earned Van Zeller Best Newcomer at the 2010 Northern Hospitality Awards, Best Chef at the 2010 Harrogate Hospitality & Tourism Awards and a pair of AA rosettes. Van Zeller is one of Harrogate's destination restaurants.
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Still great”
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

I have been surprised by certain negative comments on here...and I'm shocked this restaurant isn't higher up the TripAdvisor rankings!
We chose the £50 pp starter/main/ dessert option along with a £30 wine.
The portions are small but extremely tasty. There's additional courses thrown in for fun and the whole experience is great!
I genuinely don't understand the negative staff comments. Both waiters were excellent, and remembered us from our last visit 3 months ago.
Overall, a relatively expensive taste sensation. Go there as a treat. But do go there!

Visited July 2014
3 Thank Hesmo

Durham, United Kingdom
“Delightful and clever”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Last night I very much enjoyed eating at Van Zeller's lovely intimate little restaurant in Harrogate. We chose the 10 course taster menu with wine flight. My partner does not like certain foods and his preferences were readily accommodated in the dishes served. And WOW! these dishes were special! Every one was a delightful adventure of taste and texture with unusual combinations of flavours that created complex and wonderful layers of discovery for the senses. Clearly there are expert chefs who really understand their art at work in the kitchen. The whole meal was balanced, within each course and in the sequence of courses and complimented at each stage by great wine choices. Full of surprises but no nasty shocks! Attention to detail at every stage from development of each dish to the enjoyment of eating it for the customer. Couldn't fault it in any way. Not at all pretentious. This meal was an unusual delight as it gave me food that I would not or could not have created myself and that is precisely what restaurant food should be but rarely is. I hope this restaurant gets it's well deserved Michelin star soon. I also hope I get another opportunity to visit.

• Visited July 2014
4 Thank ShonaDMF
Coventry, United Kingdom
“An excellent little restaurant”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I was lucky enough to dine here with friends over the TdF weekend. The restaurant were very accommodating of dietary requirements (as you would expect) and happily changed some of the dishes on the tasting menu to cater for my wife not liking seafood. They were also keen to clarify that it was just a dislike and not an allergy which is reassuring to those who do suffer from food allergies.

All of the dishes were well presented and consisted of an interesting mix of flavours which worked really well. The selection of breads were also excellent.

As other reviewers have commented the portions were small but there were enough of them in the tasting menu to ensure that by the end of the night I was not craving supper.

Service was formal and attentive but without being overly stuffy. The staff were friendly and explained the dishes well.

Overall I really enjoyed our meal at van Zeller.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Dean H
London, United Kingdom
“A Very Pleasant Restaurant”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We went to Van-Zeller restaurant on recommendation from our son. My wife and I had a very pleasant meal which was served efficiently and professionally. The staff we found very friendly and helpful. They catered well for my wife who is gluten free, the food was excellent. We would certainly visit this restaurant again. Thank you for a pleasant evening.

• Visited June 2014
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Not for me....”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Can't say the three guests and myself will be rushing back for what was in our opinion distinctly average experience in both taste and service, service would in fact fall below average. Good wine menu and food very pretty, hence having to put up with neighbouring tables taking food photography every 5 seconds!! Maybe my expectations are too high but after a bill of £600 I'd have and hoped for a lot more! Put simply, not for me and would not recommend!

• Visited February 2014