“Excellent Value - Basic but Decent”

Le Jardin Cafe & Petit Bistro
Ranked #7 of 9 Dessert in Harrogate
Price range: US$13 - US$39
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT: Really good 'home' cooked food, local produce, great service and good prices.
West Yorkshire England
“Excellent Value - Basic but Decent”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

It is quite a cute little restaurant. Looking for lunch we decided to have the two course lunch special at £10.50 which included a small glass of wine or a small bottle of lager. It was straightforward basic stuff but exactly what I wanted. I had homemade mushroom soup for a starter which was genuinely home produced, served with tasty bread in a generous pot and piping hot. My scampi, chips, peas and salad was also a generous portion and also piping hot (except the salad of course!). I don't think that you will get anything particularly fancy but I was seeking a well cooked lunch at a reasonable price and the restaurant fully met my expectations. In addition, the service was quick, attentive and pleasant. I am likely to return and I would recommend the establishment.

Durham, United Kingdom
“Day out in Harrogate.”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

After a busy day shopping we decided to drop in to Le Jardin for a early evening dining experience. We had a very friendly welcome from the front of house team. We were given a very nice window table over looking the Stray.The starter presentation was very poor and it was served on very small plates. The fish cake was over cooked, however the goats cheese salad ,that my wife ordered was very tasty. We both decided to order the salmon for main course which again was not presented very well ,and the spinach was well over cooked and so were the potatoes wedges. However the atmosphere was good and with a little adjustments to detail this restaurant maybe become a little gem.(NB : Please have a new carpet fitted it would improve the decor )

redcar
“Nice staff,sub standard food and tired surroundings”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

My wife and I visited this place last week, we chose it based on the menu displayed in the window, the price and the general appearance.... cosy and pleasant.
The staff were great, very friendly and helpful. We were seated upstairs next to the waitresses work station, it was tatty and in need of replacing and it didn't help the ambience to be sat next to it with the plastic sauce containers on display, however it was no big deal.
I had mushroom soup to start, it was poor, very watery and hardly any taste. My wife had a 'Greek' salad which was equally disappointing, very scant and basic ingredients, no peppers, one small piece of tomato and balsamic vinegar which she tells me is not what you put on a Greek salad.
I had a fish dish for my main course and it was excellent, very tasty, so that was a relief. My wife had a pork dish, loin, slow cooked in a cider and apple sauce. The sauce was watery with no flavour, the pork was tough not tender and lacking taste, but the vegetables were fine.
I didn't bother with a dessert, but my wife had a pear and almond tart advertised as home made . It appeared to have been microwaved and the pastry was soggy. She was very disappointed with it.
The décor needed tidying up a bit, things just seemed to have been done on the cheap and to be fair it was a reasonable price which dragged it up a bit on the scoring.
All in all it just could have been better if the ingredients budget was upped a bit.

• Visited April 2014
Liverpool
“Tasty, cozy and...don't forget the ice cream!”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Le Jardin was one of the very few restaurants that accepted a tastecard on a Saturday night. It is also one of the few restaurants that don't lack in good customer service just because you have a tastecard.

The restaurant is very cozy, with warm surroundings and friendly staff. Despite being constantly busy, service was prompt, attentive and very friendly. But lets get to the important part: the food.

The home-cooking feel is certainly present in the dishes we tried. And, given that there is a set price early evening offer, you simply can't go wrong with anything you try.

For starters we opted for the soup of the day (mushroom) and the home made smoked haddock fishcake with buttersauce. Both really tasty.

For main course we had the fresh fish pie and the beef steak in a red wine gravy. The fish pie was full of flavour, while the beef steak was perfectly cooked.

But the highlight for me was the home made ice cream! If available, you simply have to try it! I tried the vanilla flavour (that was the available one on the day) and I can simply say that it was up there with some of the best ice cream I have ever had (it gives Italian gelato some serious competition). A thick, creamy consistency that gave away the home made way of making ice cream. I could just eat that all day!

All in all, a very good experience and if I am in Harrogate again I will certainly pay Le Jardin a visit.

Ripon, United Kingdom
“Unpretentious and personable”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Wanted to use our Tastecard at short notice midweek and tried here. Very pleased with the choice. Well positioned opposite Montpellier gardens (hence the name) and offering unpretentious food and surroundings. If you are looking for fine dining with all the trimmings, this is not for you. The 3 course early evening menu (up to 8pm, about 8 choices per course) was good value at 2 courses for £9.95 and 3 courses at £12.95. Bottle of house wine (white) was £12.95 too, perfectly acceptable and ice cold. The service was efficient and friendly and we felt well satisfied with our fairly priced meal. The tastecard basically gave us the bottle of wine free. Will try their soup and a sandwich for £6.95 one lunchtime. Very reasonable anywhere, let alone Harrogate.

1 Thank solidsilverfox