“Well worth a visit but just missed the 5*!”
Review of Kimberley Hotel

Kimberley Hotel
Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Well worth a visit but just missed the 5*!”
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Firstly the positives. Easy to get to, good parking facilities (at £6.00 per night) and the hotel is spotless, the rooms are spacious, very clean, really comfortable beds and bathrooms that offer instant and never ending hot water. Our room was quiet, great for an undisturbed night's sleep on a king size bed+ and we had all the extras such as a box of chocolates, tea/coffee, LCD wall mounted television (Freeview channels only), top of the range toiletries etc etc. It is a great place to stay in you want to be in the centre of Harrogate and close to York. And you will never be cold when staying here. So, just a few minor niggles sad to say. Very minor - breakfast was a bit hit and miss, having to attract the attention of whoever was serving, some very polite indeed, some looked as if they were bored and (in reality) couldn't be bothered. Some dishes were not replenished and folk had to ask. And, as a previous reviewer has noted, we did hear members of staff talking about other guests in a less than praiseworthy way in our ear shot. What were they saying about us? But most annoyingly, we were told that we would be charged £10.00 per night for an upgrade that a. we didn't ask for and b. we didn't get (as in we were told that we were given bathrobes and slippers when this wasn't the case). An odd thing was that the restaurant is a franchise so purchases cannot be charged to your room but the quality of food and the cost is very good. Yes, we would stay there again but just a few minor but niggling faults

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
  • Turkish first
Leicestershire
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We went to Harriogate for my birthday. We really had a great stay. We parked up and did not move vor the week end. Car park was £6 per day for the stay, which I thought was a bit much as we were staying in the hotel. Still the staff were great, the food was good and the room was great. The room was really clean and fresh. Great stay.

Room Tip: Stay in the annex as it is really quiet and peaceful.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2013

There are lots of plus points here but unfortunately some significant bad ones too. The hotel is a very typical English guest house type of establishment, albeit trying to be more of a proper hotel. But all telephone enquiries default to reception which is often too busy or too undermanned to oblige. So we never did get the cartons of full fat milk replaced by semi or even skimmed milk. And we had to ask every day for clean water glasses. And our morning paper got "missed off the list". And our lovely hand-soap disappeared without explanation or apology. But the staff, especially in the restaurant, are simply wonderful. Nothing was too much trouble and they coped admirably with our large tour group all wanting dinner at the same time.
Our room was spacious and well equipped (apart from the above mentioned) and the bed linen and towels are gorgeous. But the pillows have seen better days and - bizarrely - we had a huge bay window overlooking the road, but no net curtains to preserve our privacy. Even worse, there was a large window in the bathroom with plain glass and no nets so we had to pull down the blind every time the room was in use. Not good.

The food was a real mix of very good and not at all good. Breakfasts were excellent with a substantial buffet and good quality contents. The fried eggs were nicely cooked, not baked solid, the bacon and sausage (so I am told) were much better than many hotels have on offer and the 'cooked to order' food was delicious (lovely porridge). But the dinners - oh dear - they started out mediocre and deteriorated from there. Just dreadful. It will be a long time before I forget my turkey, mushroom and potato pie which actually comprised and tiny dollop of tinned button mushrooms in sauce with a substantial pile of boiled new potatoes plonked on top. To add insult to injury the only vegetable available with this was cauliflower cheese. I hate cauliflower, which was cooked to baby-food texture anyway, and the cheese was insignificant. It was quite appalling. I began to have fantasies about McDonald's. I suspect the food was so because the tour group beats the hotel down to a budget for dinners, whereas the breakfasts are the normal standard but as I'm unlikely to return I'll never find out.

Room Tip: ASk for one with curtains
Harrow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2013

This was a KGB deal with dinner included on first night. Very nice room in annexe fitted to a high standard with sofa, tea making facilities and complementary bottles of water. The Signatures restaurant is excellent with lovely food and the breakfasts are good with plenty of choice.
The staff were very friendly and helpful (we were provided with a map of the town centre on request). There are a couple of downsides however:
1. The car park is quite small and if you can get in it there is a charge of £6 per night (there is however, limited unrestricted parking in an adjacent side street)
2. The annexe is separate from the main hotel and we got a little wet on a couple of occasions going to and fro. It would have been helpful for the hotel to provide umbrellas but none were available.
All in all though, good value for money.

Room Tip: Rooms in annexe appear to be new or newly refurbished. However, see main review.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Admittedly we stayed on a Sunday night so there wasn't an issue with the parking as others have reported. The hotel was clean and well presented. One of the best showers I have encountered in my hotel travels. We stayed in the annexe away from the main building but it was lovely and quiet and a very spacious bedroom. For us, it was the small touches - bottled water and a box of chocolates in the room when we arrived, towelling robes and slippers in the bathroom. The staff on reception and in the breakfast room were all extremely polite and helpful - we've had a very relaxing start to our break in North Yorkshire. We would recommend this hotel and the team for others to experience for themselves.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2013

Tried to book a weekend away at this hotel. Rang them and got the "press 2 for reservations". Was on hold for about 5 minutes then someone picked up phone and put it straight back down again!!
Giving them the benefit of the doubt that it could have been an accident I rang again, again choose option 2 for reservations - exactly the same thing happened again!!
Stupid I know but I rang for the third time but this time choose option 1 for reception to find out if they had a problem with their reservations phones - after been on hold for 7 minutes this time EXACTLY the same thing happened again!!
Clearly this is not a fault with their phone system - just their staff.
Emailed to advise them what had happened and that I had now made an alternative booking - guess what? Yes they didn't even have the courtesy to reply to my email either.
If this is the level of service you get from this hotel BEFORE you even book then I don't think I will bother

1 Thank Colin52_11
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2013

It is worth noting that you should add a few quid on the cost of this hotel as the chance of finding somewhere to park is pretty small. They do have a car park, but I didn't see a car move in the day & night I was there.

Check in was easy, but finding my room was a bit of a puzzle - the room numbering and corridors are crazy. Despite the explanation at reception I had to do a couple of up & down stairs and lifts before finding my room.

When I found it, I was pleasantly surprised to enter my room at the Kimberley. It was modern and clean and although the corridors were not great, I would much rather them spend the money on the rooms and they clearly have done here (nothing worse than beautful receptions & corridors and a shabby room).

Bathroom was lovely - fully slate tiled with strong shower - not much space for all your bathroom bits & pieces though.

Linens were clean and I slept well, though the room was very hot in the night. There is no air con / heating controls.

I would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business