“Will never return again”
Review of Kimberley Hotel

Kimberley Hotel
Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
newcastle
“Will never return again”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

This was my 4th stay at this hotel and have always enjoyed my stay and had the same room which is one of the upgraded room 2002 and is defiantly 4*. This vist I had booked 2 rooms 2002 and 2003 as required 2 twin rooms. On arrival I was a bit upset that I had been given room 1002 and 1003 which was a twin and a double. Thinking there was some mistake I explained that this is not what I had booked. The response left me speechless the so called duty manager informed me that as I had mentioned I had a disabled parking badge (only mentioned as you are exempt from parking charge) that they had allocated me the room with a walk in shower and thats why I had been given room 1003. I advised the duty manager that why had I been allocated that room when I had specifically asked for room 2002 and was told that there would be no problem. I told her I may have a disability but I like a bath and really they should have consulted me and not just presumed that this is what I wanted. I also queried why my daughter and her friend were given a double bed when again I had asked for a twin. The explanation to this was they had a note on the booking that my daughter would be using the room on her own. (must have missed that conversation when booking) she advised that there were no more rooms anywhere in the hotel as they were full. As we were only there for 1 night instead of the normal 2 we decided to make do but as for the duty manager she was so unhelpful and did not even apologise. Another lady came to complain as she had been given a double room instead of a single and the duty manager was very dismissive and rude and told her that she booked on the internet and thats what she had booked. I looked at my daughters room and whilst ok was NOT 4* and when we opened the wardrobe the TV and tea making facilities were in there and the shelf was covered in old tea stains and very grubby, and large stains on the carpet. When I went to my room I would describe it as just ok but again NOT 4*. There was no door on the wardrobe but the worst was yet to come, I looked at the bathroom and just burst into tears the shower had carer screen and for those who do not know what 1 is its a long plastic screen about 2ft high to allow a carer to shower you without getting wet and best of all there was a perching stool to sit on. I felt like I had walked into some grotty old care home and not a 4* hotel. I felt gutted that a 4* hotel could get a way with providing a room of this standard and expect someone with a disabiltiy of any kind to be happy. My friend spoke to the same duty manager and was told that its easier for people to get in the wardrobe without any doors. My friend told her that the bathroom was totally unacceptable and how upset I was and she offered us another room as someone had not checked in. Again no apology or understanding of how upset I was. No age group should have to accept a bathroom of this standard and as I am only 45 was horrified as the way they treat guests with mobility issues. The replacement room was an improvement but again not the 4* standard of the room that I always stay in and is in desperate need of decorating but was functional. The shower screen leaked, and there were black stuff around the plug which you could wipe off with your finger. The curtains let the light in so by 5am i felt like I was outside. My friend after complaining asked the duty manager for a bottle of wine on the house which was provided to the room by a lovely young man from the bar. I was still a little bit upset over the whole room incident and he asked me what was wrong. I told him and he was so apologetic and said he hoped it did not put me off from going again and agreed that what had happened was not acceptable. I advised him that I had recommended this hotel to many friends who had also visited and expected better considering this was my 4th visit. The customer service that we received from the front desk was disgraceful and I know they were fully booked but a sorry would not have gone amiss. I will never return to this hotel again if this is how they treat customers and really question how this hotel can get a 4* rating when they are offering rooms of this poor standard. On the way to the car park my friend looked in room 2002 whilst it was being cleaned and now understands why I was so upset as the room we were allocated. So customers beware some of the rooms are not 4* standard, if you are lucky enough to get an upgraded room you will have a lovely time as I have on 3 other occasions

Room Tip: Ensure you have an upgraded room
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank wander41

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
  • Turkish first
Bangor, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

In Harrogate in the middle of a heat wave, gorgeous little hotel, great foood!
Keep an eye out for offers with this hotel as we managed to get to stay for just £40 a night
Only problems were no air conditioning in rooms and our room 1006 at the back of the hotel was over the car park and the bins so it was dead noisy at night.
So, if you are staying there make sure that the room is at the front of the hotel.

Room Tip: If you are staying there make sure that the room is at the front of the hotel because it is dead noi...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
merseyside
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We stayed in this hotel with friends for their wedding anniversary, we booked with kgb and was hoping it would be ok as it was a special occaision, we were extremely happy with our choice as were our friends, the staff were all very friendly and helpfull, excellent location, a must to visit is the royal baths chinese resteraunt in the town the best i have ever been!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

wow!!!me and my boyfriend was very impressed with the overall hotel!!fantastic and even more so after getting such a great deal with living social voucher..stay was just for 1 night for nice break away on a sunday but got much more than what we bargined for,should have been in a normal double which from the photos still looked nice but when we got the keycard to our surprise when we entered the bedroom it was huge!!!the smell of newness hit you,brand new modern furnishings,very tastefully decorated,big 42ins plasma on wall,sofa,table,big window with private views across to the trees,bathrobes,slippers,toiletries...and and the bathroom was to die for!!!big rain shower over bath etc etc..just so lovely...they put us in the deluxe room!!!at no extra cost,very nice...this was located seperate to the hotel across the carpark in the brand new annex!!room 3107 on the end!!definitely a 1 to book again...and I'd like to point out that it was great to see that the hotel was keeping on top of the decorating in the main part of hotel not that it looked shabby they just had decorators in painting all the whites probably only chance they get while slightly quiet..some older hotels tend to forget to keep on top of things like that.breakfast beautiful!!!lounge modern,cosy,and the main bar n restaurant looked equally as beautiful,although we didnt dine here I cant wait to come back for our birthdays in November!!5mins walk to harrogate centre..i cant praise this hotel up enough....

• Stayed September 2013
Wigan, England
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Having stayed at The Kimberley before and been slightly disappointed with the room we opted for an upgrade at an extra £10 per night for the two night stay from Sept 3rd and 4th. We were very impressed with the room which was furnished to a very high standard and extremely comfortable. The room was in the Annexe to the rear of the property and was number 3102. Ask for it, you won't be unhappy. We were on the £119 Groupon deal for 2 nights B & B plus Dinner for 2 on the first night. So at £139 total we were happy.

Dinner was in Signatures Restaurant, and was 3 courses from the A la Carte menu, nicely presented and cooked to a good standard, possibly only let down by the limited choice. The staff were very attentive and had improved since our last visit. Drinks were priced as you would expect, around £8 for a white wine and a pint.

Breakfast was excellent with a multitude of choice, something for everyone.....the lady at front of house was most pleasant and extremely welcoming.

Slept very well on the first night, but disturbed on the second by what can only be described as raucous lovemaking in the form of a screaming banshee....unfortunately nothing to do with us but seemed very close by....(hope they are reading this, makes me chuckle anyway).

Much has been said regarding the car park fee of £6 per night, the location is fantastic, well worth the fee, literally 5 minutes from the centre of town. We parked the car on Tuesday upon our arrival and there it stayed.

We went to Knaresborough for a day on the train which cost less than £3 each return, there in 10 minutes, worth a visit but extremely hilly and would be difficult for the infirm. A walk down the river is a must, very scenic.

The best Wetherspoon's pub we have ever been in is on Parliament Street, Harrogate, called the Winter Gardens.

We ate at the Jinnah Indian on Cheltenham Parade on our 2nd night, we had the £10.95 buffet which was very good with plenty of choice and included poppadom and pickle tray and appetisers. The waiters were a bit keen on plate removal, being a buffet, if you have no plate, you cannot eat, but on the whole it was fine.

Harrogate is a lovely place, The Kimberley is a great hotel, I can offer no major negatives at all regarding our stay.......We will be back...!

I have uploaded images of the 3 course meal and an image of the room for your information.

Room Tip: Room 3102 small supplement, worth it.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Buxton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Sayed for 3 nights, got a great deal with bookings.com. Short stroll into town centre, we walked back to the station with our luggage it was so easy. Ate in the hotel one evening, nice Bistro food. Very clean and comfortable hotel. Room was spacious and nicely furnished, bathroom was excellent. No temperature control and it was very warm so had to have the windows open which meant noise from the main road. Only problem we had was the walls were so thin we could hear everything from the room next door from them breaking wind, having sex...and even worse, their snoring! If you don't wish to hear all this I would recommend earplugs, and if you don't want others to hear you, I recommend leaving your tv on! Upon checking out the young man didn't even ask if we'd enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Nottingham
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Great location as only a 5 minute walk from the town centre in Harrogate, staff were friendly and polite and always willing to help. Food was very tasty, but not much choice for our evening meal. Breakfast was very nice with a lot of choice of a full English breakfast to continental, cereal and yoghurt. The quality of the food, especially the breakfast you could tell was good. Beds were amazingly comfy, and nicely decorated. The bath/ shower were nice and warm, and it was a nice touch that you could set the temperature of the water to your own preference. Tea/coffee facilities in the hotel room, with Yorkshire tea, Nescafe coffee and a fancy hot chocolate, with a couple of biscuits and chocolates. Good value for money. Only complaint I have is that the evening meals, there is not many tables, and we had to sit with another 4 people who we didn’t know, which was fine as the people were friendly and nice and we had a nice chat & a laugh, but for some people I think they could find this a bit uncomfortable.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family