“Kimberly Hotel”

Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Southport, United Kingdom
“Kimberly Hotel”
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Stayed 2 nights august bank holiday, upgraded room and was impressed by size and standard of the room, good location easy to walk into the centre, breakfast was plentiful and we ate 1 night in the bistro which was good but avoid the pinot grigio it's a bit rough!
Enjoyed Harrogate, loved afternoon tea at Bettys and a visit to Harlow Carr.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
  • Turkish first
Cumbria, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Stayed here in August with my parents. Rooms were excellent, 2 x 3ftbeds made an enormous king size bed. Bathrooms great size, powerful showers over baths. Tea, coffee etc but no fridge. Most of the staff in the hotel and (franchised) restaurant were polish but spoke excellent english and their level of customer service was outstanding. Had 2 evening meals in the restaurant and both were of a very good standard. Only two things let the hotel down, 1) was the breakfast dining room - at basement level, low ceilings, various floor levels, cramped for diners and around the breakfast buffet area. The heat was overwhelming, we did not want to linger. 2) was the car park - very small and a peculiar shape and other cars were parked anywhere possible, blocking in some guests. The hotel wasn't brilliantly equipped for disabled guests and my mother struggled quite a bit so something to be aware of. Booked via social deal so excellent value for money. Hotel is about 100 yards up from the conference centre and at the bottom of town. Harrogate is rather hilly! We went to the Majestic Hotel for a nosey and a drink but were very pleased we were staying at the Kimberley which had a much better atmosphere and felt friendly and comfortable in comparison. Better standard of clientele too!! I would recommend the Kimberley if you are going to Harrogate.

Room Tip: Choose an executive room in one of the newer blocks, at first floor or above for more light. There...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mgttwi
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

Second visit to Kimberley hotel.
Both times bought with KGB voucher. Very well situated 5 minutes walk to centre. Good choice at breakfast.first visit was given lovely room, spacious in new extension. Second visit basic room but well equipped and clean slightly smaller in main hotel. Would certainly go back again.

• Stayed September 2013
Spain
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I have stayed at The Kimberly Hotel twice now and I have been pleased with my stay on both occasions. The food is lovely and the staff are very friendly. The first time we stayed we had a standard double which was nice. It was clean and fit its purpose. The second time we stayed we were given an executive suite. This was great. The bathroom was gorgeous with a huge bath. The room was big and the bed was extremely comfortable. I always try to book this hotel, but its always full (always a good sign for a hotel). We have recently stayed at another hotel in Harrogate because we couldn't get into the Kimberley, i shall not be returning there again because they weren't a patch on this hotel!!!

1 Thank Sam-Harrogate1
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Stayed here just after the bank holiday on a Living Social deal for an executive room. This was in the annex and was a huge room on the ground floor with plush furnishings and a wonderfully stylish and spacious bathroom. There were excellent toiletries and good quality drinks plus a chocolate each too, just to round off the welcome in our room. We couldn't fault the room in any way and had a wonderful stay as a result.

The girl working on the desk (who seems to work there all the time at all hours of the day) gave us wonderful service from her warm welcome on arrival, clear instructions on finding our way around the hotel through to useful information on where to find free parking if there was no space in the hotel car park. If you want to use the free wi-fi remember to ask for this when checking in - there was nothing written down in our room and I couldn't get through to reception on the phone (she was probably busy serving another customer when I called).

Our only let down was the buffet breakfast. We'd had a bit of a lie-in, arriving a little before 9am (breakfast continues until 9.30am and plenty of people arrived after we did). While there was a list of what should be available (which was extensive, including croissants, cold meat, cheese, muffins, fruit, cereals, flavoured and plain yoghurt etc) we found that the croissants, cold meat and plain yoghurt had all been finished and was never replaced, despite us being there for half an hour. This seemed a bit poor, especially on the croissant front, since many people enjoy something like that as a special treat when staying away on holiday. The hot breakfast food was generally ok though I chose to order an omelette which was made especially. While it took a long time to come it was very good and worth the wait. The waitress did accidentally bring us two pots of coffee instead of two pots of tea after a long wait, but when we finally managed to catch her a bit later she happily replaced these with tea. So while our stay and room was great, breakfast was a bit disappointing and was also slow for hot drinks, toast and anything ordered that wasn't buffet. And make sure you turn up early if there's something you particularly want off the buffet!

1 Thank Ammiria
tyne and wear
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Having booked this hotel, for a birthday treat, through a 3rd party website, only to be contacted the next day to be told that the room rate was incorrect and was not half board but room only, I was a little anxious that all would be well on arrival. I spoke to the hotel and booking agents prior to arrival and came to an arrangement re: the meals etc. that I was happy with.
We stayed in an executive double in the annexe at the rear of the main hotel. The room was fabulous, overlooking a wooded area. The decor and furnishings were lovely, the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was one of the best we have had. There was a sofa, table and chairs to relax on and a large flat screen tv. Bottled water,tea and coffee,chocolate and biscuits were provided also. The only thing missing were the bathrobes/slippers which we mentioned to reception but this did not spoil our experience at all.
We enjoyed full english breakfast on both Saturday and Sunday, although it did seem extra busy on the Sunday but there was a bridal show due to open at the nearby conference centre and some of the guests looked as though they were attending that, hence the full room at the time that we chose to eat, I think. Breakfast was nice but a little cold for my liking, but I suppose if the guests are lifting the lids on the dishes constantly, the food will cool down won't it ? !!
We did not have an evening meal at the hotel but used the bar in Signatures Bistro and found the staff very friendly and polite.
The reception staff were also very friendly and helped us with maps and advice on where to go in the town for a meal or drink etc.
We did use the hotel car park and paid the daily fee of £6, this seems to annoy lots of customers, maybe it would be better to alter the room rate very slightly and offer 'free' parking, to keep people happy ??
All in all we had a lovely stay and are planning to return before the end of the year.....fingers crossed !!!
If you are looking for a few quiet drinks in town I would recommend Wetherspoons in the Winter Gardens, It is huge and does a lovely mixed grill ! and cheapest drinks that we found,also nice were Slug and Lettuce, Christies bar-2 mins walk from hotel, and The Alexandra bar,whose speciality is their hand made pizzas-delicious.

Room Tip: Executive double in the annexe was very spacious and had fab bathroom, very comfortable bed and air...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
newcastle
Reviewed 7 September 2013

This was my 4th stay at this hotel and have always enjoyed my stay and had the same room which is one of the upgraded room 2002 and is defiantly 4*. This vist I had booked 2 rooms 2002 and 2003 as required 2 twin rooms. On arrival I was a bit upset that I had been given room 1002 and 1003 which was a twin and a double. Thinking there was some mistake I explained that this is not what I had booked. The response left me speechless the so called duty manager informed me that as I had mentioned I had a disabled parking badge (only mentioned as you are exempt from parking charge) that they had allocated me the room with a walk in shower and thats why I had been given room 1003. I advised the duty manager that why had I been allocated that room when I had specifically asked for room 2002 and was told that there would be no problem. I told her I may have a disability but I like a bath and really they should have consulted me and not just presumed that this is what I wanted. I also queried why my daughter and her friend were given a double bed when again I had asked for a twin. The explanation to this was they had a note on the booking that my daughter would be using the room on her own. (must have missed that conversation when booking) she advised that there were no more rooms anywhere in the hotel as they were full. As we were only there for 1 night instead of the normal 2 we decided to make do but as for the duty manager she was so unhelpful and did not even apologise. Another lady came to complain as she had been given a double room instead of a single and the duty manager was very dismissive and rude and told her that she booked on the internet and thats what she had booked. I looked at my daughters room and whilst ok was NOT 4* and when we opened the wardrobe the TV and tea making facilities were in there and the shelf was covered in old tea stains and very grubby, and large stains on the carpet. When I went to my room I would describe it as just ok but again NOT 4*. There was no door on the wardrobe but the worst was yet to come, I looked at the bathroom and just burst into tears the shower had carer screen and for those who do not know what 1 is its a long plastic screen about 2ft high to allow a carer to shower you without getting wet and best of all there was a perching stool to sit on. I felt like I had walked into some grotty old care home and not a 4* hotel. I felt gutted that a 4* hotel could get a way with providing a room of this standard and expect someone with a disabiltiy of any kind to be happy. My friend spoke to the same duty manager and was told that its easier for people to get in the wardrobe without any doors. My friend told her that the bathroom was totally unacceptable and how upset I was and she offered us another room as someone had not checked in. Again no apology or understanding of how upset I was. No age group should have to accept a bathroom of this standard and as I am only 45 was horrified as the way they treat guests with mobility issues. The replacement room was an improvement but again not the 4* standard of the room that I always stay in and is in desperate need of decorating but was functional. The shower screen leaked, and there were black stuff around the plug which you could wipe off with your finger. The curtains let the light in so by 5am i felt like I was outside. My friend after complaining asked the duty manager for a bottle of wine on the house which was provided to the room by a lovely young man from the bar. I was still a little bit upset over the whole room incident and he asked me what was wrong. I told him and he was so apologetic and said he hoped it did not put me off from going again and agreed that what had happened was not acceptable. I advised him that I had recommended this hotel to many friends who had also visited and expected better considering this was my 4th visit. The customer service that we received from the front desk was disgraceful and I know they were fully booked but a sorry would not have gone amiss. I will never return to this hotel again if this is how they treat customers and really question how this hotel can get a 4* rating when they are offering rooms of this poor standard. On the way to the car park my friend looked in room 2002 whilst it was being cleaned and now understands why I was so upset as the room we were allocated. So customers beware some of the rooms are not 4* standard, if you are lucky enough to get an upgraded room you will have a lovely time as I have on 3 other occasions

Room Tip: Ensure you have an upgraded room
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends