“Not as good as it was..”
Review of Kimberley Hotel

Kimberley Hotel
Ranked #7 of 28 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I haven't stayed here for a couple of years, but it definitely seems to have become "ordinary". The executive rooms were a bit smarter than now, and they used to have a small bottle of wine and a snack in your room upon arrival. This nice touch seems to have stopped.

Also, watch out for the hidden charge when using an Amex Card. I ave all my details in my online booking and there was no mention of an additional charge for using Amex. When I got there, they added 4% to my bill. I am not sure that is legal, given they had publisghed a price and I had booked on that basis.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
KimManagement, Deputy General Manager at Kimberley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Bob B,
Many thanks for your review of your recent stay with us at The Kimberley Hotel. In regards to the extras that were in your room in times gone by, this is no longer feasible for the prices we charge for accommodation. To be able to continue with these items, we would have had to increase our room rates by a considerable amount, and we felt that as a whole, this was not the best thing for our customers.
American Express set a rate of 4% surcharge for each transaction which is charged to the hotel, so we carry this across directly. Some of the 3rd party sites, one of which I believe you booked with, do state this in the terms and conditions, and if you booked with us directly, it would have been clear in the confirmation email sent.
However, I do hope that you decide to visit us again, and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Deputy General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,783)

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed here for the weekend to explore Harrogate and it is a perfect location. We stayed in an executive room which was really lovely although overlooking the car park. The room was large and very comfortable and the bathroom great. A clock in the room would have been nice.
I told the hotel that I was disabled and they said they would reserve a space but this did not happen. The car park does get full and we couldn't get a space the 2nd day. The lift was also not working so I had to walk up a flight of stairs to the room.
The food and service in the bistro was very nice as was the ambience. The breakfast room was very warm and rather uncomfortable and when we asked to move it was as if we were being awkward.. Although the hot food on the buffet was very nice the cold selection wasn't as nice as I expected. The cereal choice was limited, fruit salad very boring (mostly apples), cheese in plastic and muffins in bags was a bit naff. Some fresh pastries would have been better. I'm being a bit picky but a little extra effort (and some a/c) it would be great.
Overall though I would definitely stay here again in and exec room.

Room Tip: get an exec room

Dear Jacquibabs,
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us at The Kimberley Hotel. I’m glad you found the location to your liking as many guests do, as we are within walking distance to the town centre, but not among the hustle and bustle this usually entails.
Due to the fact that our car park is rather small and we cannot offer parking for every single guest that stays with us, it is operated on a first come, first serve basis, therefore reserving a space is never possible. I apologise that you believed this was the case, but I am quite certain that the reception team will have been able to advise you of parking close by on your 2nd night’s stay. Unfortunately we were having problems with the lift during your stay, and it was placed on an emergency call out as soon as we were aware of the problem, however, it took longer to get fixed than usual as we were waiting for a part to arrive. I can only apologise for the inconvenience caused.
I am delighted you took the chance to dine in Signatures Bistro and found everything to your liking. Our Chefs pride themselves in what they do, and I am glad that you found the service to match their skill.
I have passed on your feedback to the Head Chef regarding breakfast, and he is looking into it.
I do hope you decide to stay with us again, and would like to point out at all our Executive and Deluxe Rooms come with Air Conditioning as standard.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We booked a two night package with dinner on the first night and a cream tea. We found the hotel easily and were pleasantly surprised at how close it is to the International Centre. We had a good welcome at reception. Indeed all the staff were pleasant and helpful and did everything to ensure we had a good stay. We had a deluxe room in a separate building across the car park. It was spacious, clean and comfortable - and quiet as we had requested. We had dinner in the Signatures Bistro - the food was excellent, as was our cream tea next day. Breakfast was in the restaurant, again excellent food with plenty of choices.

1  Thank travel1408

Dear travel1408,
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us at The Kimberley Hotel. I am delighted that you found the hotel and room to your liking, and that you took the opportunity to dine in Signatures Bistro. The Kimberley Hotel team as a whole take a lot of pride in what they do, striving to deliver the very best in customer service and facilities available. If you decide to stay with us again, please contact that hotel directly to check if we are running any special offers you may be able to take advantage of.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Easy to locate, very friendly staff, room quite small with no view. Room nicely decorated and clean. The only small criticisms were the sink was cracked and the bed was a bit uncomfortable. The hotel is in a great location, just a short walk into the town. The town itself is quite charming with some nice architecture. Would definately stay again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear MorrisseyfanLancs,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at The Kimberley Hotel. I am glad that you found most things to your liking and am thrilled you would use us again. Your feedback has been passed on to our Housekeeping and Maintenance teams, and they are looking into the issues you raised.
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Kimberley Hotel, and suggest you to check with us directly for any special offers we may have that you can take advantage of.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

We have stayed here few times on the £50 rate and always find the room and bed very comfortable, ee decided not to have the breakfast at 12.95 each as weatherspoons down the road do breakfast for 3.29 ish!

1  Thank Happyholidayer8

Dear happyholidayer8,
Many thanks for your review of your recent stay at The Kimberley Hotel. I am glad that you find your room to your liking and that you use us frequently. Breakfast is an all you can eat Full English and Continental Buffet chargeable at £9.95 and £7.75 respectively. I’m not sure where you saw the incorrect prices for breakfast, if you could contact me on Danielle.wilson@thekimberley.co.uk to solve this mystery, I would be very grateful.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Stayed here a few times and have always gone back. Delux rooms are nice. Reception very helpful & friendly. Unfortunately lift was broken and we were on top floor which wasn't ideal with a 1 year old however happily moved us to a ground floor for our second night which was great. The only massive issue was the dirty knickers they left in our bed!! I handed in to reception and staff apologised but still, dirty knickers ?! Not nice. Obviously I think (hope) this was a one off but some way of an apology would have softened the blow (bottle of wine? :) ) anyway, would still recommend and will stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Lauren1231

Dear Lauren 1231,
First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Kimberley Hotel. I am glad that you found our team helpful in reviewing your room in regards to the broken lift, and that we could accommodate you on the second night in a ground floor room. Upon investigation of the allegation that you found dirty underwear in your room, this is hard to believe, as your room was double checked by a senior member of staff before you were moved, and the bed linen changed twice due to a small fault found in the linen. If you would like to contact me to discuss this matter further, please email me directly Danielle.wilson@thekimberley.co.uk, and I will be happy to help.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

First of all, may I say that we have stayed here before in an EXECUTIVE room and it was fine.
However, this time we took a deal on a bog standard room at £50.00 per night. Never again.
Room -very basic
Cleanliness-room was ok but the bathroom needs bleach throwing at it.
Beds-I've got a bad back now.
Bathroom-Shower needs replacing as the actual unit leaked and dripped all night, I put a towel under the drip to get rid of the thud, thud, thud. It worked for a while until it became sodden then it sounded like splash, splash, splash!
There were cobwebs in there, grimy tiles, no hand soap..etc, etc.
The Kimberley is a very good choice, so don't be put off by this review, just go for an executive room and definitely give room 1016 a miss.

Room Tip: Executive rooms only for this hotel. The rooms at the front are noisy, as the outside seating area f...

Dear musicbailey,
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us at The Kimberley Hotel. We act on all reviews, good or bad, so appreciate your time and honesty. Our budget rooms are advertised as though ensuite, they are very basic in décor and facilities, hence the bargain price of £50 per night. I am sorry that you did not find your room up to your standard, and have investigated the cleanliness issues you had with our housekeeping team who pride themselves in the service they deliver. You will be pleased to know that the drip in the shower has now been fixed, which could have been sorted during your stay if you would have let our reception team know. I do hope you stay with us again, and look forward to seeing you again in the future if this is the case.

Deputy General Manager.