“Better than expected”

Ranked #8 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

A well located and presented hotel near the centre of Harrogate. We were here for the Tour de France weekend (which was great) and the hotel was better than expected. A really good location near the centre of town but also quiet enough for a good night's sleep. Helpful staff, easy parking (though the hotel car park was full) and a good breakfast. The room was clean, contemporary, well decorated, a reasonable size (though a little dark) and the bed was big and comfy. Highly recommended, would visit again. Loved Harrogate!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vipa728
KimManagement, Deputy General Manager at Kimberley Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Dear Vipa728,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at The Kimberley Hotel in Harrogate. I am delighted that you visited Harrogate during the Tour De France as it really was a spectacular weekend, and am thrilled that your experience was enhanced by your stay with us. If you are ever looking to visit Harrogate again, please contact us directly to secure the best available rate.

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
  • Turkish first
Rotherham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for just one night as we were attending a wedding at nearby Ripley Castle. We requested a family room (2 adults, 2 children aged 5 and 8).

On arrival check in was quick and easy, we were directed to our room, 1117, one floor up and on the front of the hotel overlooking the main road. A very spacious room, with TV, tea & coffee making facilities and a lovely light and airy bathroom.

I read other reviews before our stay, and I was a little mindful of cleanliness, but our room was spotless.

We didn't take dinner but after a fairly good night's sleep (the mattress was a little soft for me bit that's down to personal preference and a dodgy back!), we had breakfast - wow! Lots of choice, hot and cold, pastries, toast, fruit juices and yoghurt - the kids certainly enjoyed it and so did we!!

All the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful, thanks go especially to the night receptionist on 2nd August for the extra biscuits for our kids' bedtime snack!!

Perhaps the only slight down side is the parking, we didn't get in the limited spaces behind the hotel, and the on-street parking is by displaying a disc from reception with a 3 hour limit.

Would have no hesitation in recommending or indeed returning if we're back I'm Harrogate in the future.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MrsSenior
Dear MrsSenior,

Many thanks on taking the time to review your recent stay with us at The Kimberley Hotel in Harrogate. I am delighted that you chose to use us whilst attending a local wedding and found everything to your liking. Our car park isn't the biggest, and we do not have enough spaces to accommodate every guest staying in the hotel, and I apologise for this inconvenience. If you are ever in the area again and wish to stay with us in the future, please contact the hotel directly in order to obtain the best available rate.

Wolverhampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Second time that I have stayed at the hotel - room was clean and modern and spacious and comfortable on both occasions
Male receptionist on duty on arrival - friendly and efficient
Car park small - but I was lucky to get a space
Breakfast was very busy and my room service was late arriving and not the best - but the hotel was full from a tour and conference delegates - so not sure this would be the norm
Wifi was down due to recent storms - but worked in conference centre next door - and so this did not affect my stay on this occasion
Hope to be back in 2015

Room Tip: Rooms in the new blocks at the rear of the building are worth paying the extra for
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
KimManagement, deputy general manager at Kimberley Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear GMHOTELWolverhampton,
Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at The Kimberley Hotel, Harrogate. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay, and apologise for your breakfast tray not been up to standard. As you have mentioned, breakfast was abnormally busy that morning, and I can assure you that this is not the norm. I also apologise for our lack of Wi-Fi after the power cut, though I am glad this didn’t affect your stay, we did endeavour to get it fixed as quickly as we could.
Please check with us direct for the best available rate for your next stay.

Jersey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

we got a really good deal and room was vast but dusty behind sofa the room was top floor in new part with wonderfull views all staff were helpfull and attentive Signatures was an added bonus all be it a franchise the food was superb as was the breakfast in the hotel there was a wedding reception but didnt disturb us in anyway good parking and reasonable prices only 1 gripe the tea coffee in room was naff but betties tearoom was worth the wait in the wind

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
KimManagement, Deputy General Manager at Kimberley Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Craig G,

Many thanks on your fantastic review regarding your stay at The Kimberley Hotel. I am thrilled that you found your stay to be good, and pleased that you took advantage of our Bistro which is part of the hotel. I am glad that you managed to get into Betty’s Tea Rooms which is only a short distance away from us, as I often see many people queuing in the wind/rain/or shine in order to sample some of their famous delights.

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

lovely place staff friendly stayed in executive double on a deal off booking.com facilities great easy access to harrogate in walking distance . food in the restaurant was fab really enjoyed would recommend to all .

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Julie M,

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us at The Kimberley Hotel in Harrogate. I am delighted that you found everything to your liking, and took advantage of Signature’s Bistro during your stay. If you would like to stay with us again, please contact the hotel directly to check if there are any special offers you may be able to take advantage of.

Torquay
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

I've always wanted to go to Harrogate and my stay there was complimented by staying at the Kimberley. Within easy walking distance of the town centre, Sun Valley gardens and just a little further to Betty's Tea Rooms.
We were allocated a room in the annex across the car park from the hotel and found our room to be large, air conditioned and comfy. The bathroom was huge and its downfall was the most appalling lighting. No centre light over the mirror, I had difficulty shaving, my wife had no chance doing the make-up in there.
We were allowed to bring the dog with us and found a little park at the end of the back road to the hotel; that was ideal for the dog and perfect for us to attend to her first call in the morning. However, I thought that the £10 per night for the dog was a bit "rich"; it could be a mistake... Check yourself to be sure.
The car park cost another £7 per night, but it was good and safe and ample while we stayed.
When the coach parties are booked in the restaurant gets busy and may be over-whelmed but chef allowed us Fish & Chips in no time at all.
Great town, great hotel, excellent rooms,
PS The WiFi is there and it free, but it appears to be "over-whelmed" and therefore unstable.

Room Tip: We had a room in the almost new annex.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Tishytwo,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at The Kimberley Hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
I have taken your comments on board in regards to the lighting, which I am surprised at, as we rarely have any issues in our executive and deluxe rooms of which I believe you were residing in. In regards to our canine guests, we charge £10 per room per stay as our housekeeping team need to spend more time in these rooms for them to turn them around for the next visitor, and our car parking charge is £6 per night which is similar to other hotels in Harrogate. I am pleased you found our location within Harrogate to meet all your needs, and can assure you that we are currently improving our WiFi capabilities.

Kind Regards,

New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Stayed for almost two weeks with my wife in July. The very good: only hotel with ac and there was a heat wave; room very comfortable but the room safe is literally at floor level and one wither has to completely bend over to access or lie on the floor to insert the combination. staff, with one exception was cheerful, location was easy walk to downtown restaurants, shopping and the stray. Disappointments: although a full English breakfast was included in our rate the selections remained the same for our two weeks, and became monotonous: for example, the muffins were small, prepackaged and only chocolate offered until I mentioned it and they added blueberry, no French toast or pancakes offered, often ran out of croissants and other offerings in the buffet (just not monitored consistently); no scones! Hotel restaurant: lunch special of soup and sandwich great idea and reasonably priced, soup changed regularly, but the sandwich offerings for this special were the same every single day; tuna fish or ham and cheese. Dinner entree selections were well prepared and delicious, but never any drink specials such as many other restaurants had such as two for one Tuesdays. Came for dinner one night at 6pm when the restaurant opens and were told the place was booked. It was totally empty except for our party and the booked reservations were not until 7pm. Told we could get room service! Just unacceptable.

Room Tip: not all of the rooms are air conditioned and when it gets hot in summer it is stifling, so make sure...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Sandypoopoo
KimManagement, Deputy General Manager at Kimberley Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Good Afternoon Sandypoopoo,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Kimberley Hotel. I am very pleased to hear that during your two week stay in the hotel your experience was of a high standard, and that you found our staff to be both helpful and welcoming, this means so much as customer satisfaction is paramount and we aim to exceed when meeting our guests expectations.

I am disappointed to read that you felt that our continental breakfast selection was limited and uninspiring. As I’m sure you can appreciate that on a busy day we can easily serve around 160 breakfasts, and therefore although I would love to offer more cooked to order options our kitchen simply could not cope with such a demand. However, I will speak to our head Chef, Maciej to see if more cold buffet items could be incorporated into the menu and we will be implementing a better system to ensure that key items such as croissants are not missing from the buffet in the future.

As an independent hotel we are limited with our buying powers and therefore we cannot match such deals as those frequently offered by the larger chain pubs. However we are looking to introduce both a Fish and Chip and Steak evening in the near future, both of which will incorporate a free pre-advertised beverage.

Finally I am very sorry to feel that in offering room service when we couldn’t accommodate you due to pre-booked reservations was unacceptable. All of our staff aim to find an alternative or solution when they cannot meet a customer’s request, clearly our suggestion wasn’t suitable and I cannot apologise enough.

I hope to welcome you to The Kimberley Hotel in the not too distant future once again and hopeful the minor negatives you incurred will be rectified. Also may I recommend that should you return that you pre-booking a table in Signatures’ bistro as at peak times it does become very busy.