“The Majestic Hotel, Harrogate, shame no air con!”
Review of The Majestic Hotel

The Majestic Hotel
Ranked #18 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 28 July 2012

I stayed here for one night for business purposes, having been to Harrogate before and loved it, I was looking forward to my stay.

The building is lovely, with gorgeous features and the rooms are very big. My room had a hall area with a decent size bathroom, big counter and basin and lovely blue mood lighting above the bath area (which was a really nice touch i'd never seen before!) the bedroom area was large, plenty of room to sit and the bed was extremely comfortable. Nice furniture and features finished it off nicely.

My one downside to the room and the hotel itself is that when I was staying temps were in the 20's and sadly my very old sash window only opened a fraction (and was actually tightly stuck in position), having asked reception for a fan, I found one in the cupboard and left it on most of my stay as the room was very hot. The hotel has no air-con, even in the restaurant area, I was looking forward to a nice breakfast but sadly only managed 2 bites of melon before I had a panic attack and had to leave the room and go outside to cool down, I only ever have these when places are hot, so unfortunately I can't comment on breakfast!!

It is a lovely building but having stayed here once next time I come to Harrogate I will be looking for another hotel, such a shame in a way as the staff were fantastic, it just needs some Air con.

I would recommend it to others as the rooms were very big and comfortable and it had a lovely feel to it.

1  Thank tuscan159
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2012

Dear tuscan159,

Thank you very much for your review. I'm glad that you enjoyed both the hotel and your room and that you would happily recommend the Majestic Hotel to others.

Your comments about air conditioning are noted. Your room is one of just 3 of the same layout which have only a small wndow hence the fan being already in your wardrobe.

If you'd mentioned about the heat issue for you at breakfast we could have prepared you a setting on the adjacent outside balcony area or in the lounge rather than you go without.

Given the heat isues, I'm very appreciative of the balance of your review and maybe next time you are visiting Harrogate it will be in one of the other three seasons and you might return to us.

Kind regards, Vince

There are newer reviews for The Majestic Hotel

Reviewed 27 July 2012

Was looking forward to my stay but there were just so many small niggles that I shall not return. The public rooms were well maintained and clean but there did not seem to be enough staff in the restarant areas/bar although those there were plesant enough. My room had peeling paint and dusty wallpaper but the bed was comfortable and clean. The plumbing needs attention but it is an old hotel. Food quality was mediocre and at times poor but edible with odd highlights. The gardens were closed (they had warned us) but was not prepared for the noise from the workmen. My stay was also marred by the ladies changing area etc at the pool being closed for maintainence. No real alternative arrangements were in place. All in all not enough to make official complaints about but added up didn't make the hotel anything to reccomend. Have stayed in better in Harrogate at a much better price.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank 250Sharon
Reviewed 24 July 2012

It's always disappointing when the pictures on the hotel's website are of smart, newly refurbished rooms and you don't get one! Old, tired and depressing room with water stains in two corners. Not even a complementary bottle of water never mind a mini bar. Out dated bathroom that needed a good clean. Gym and swimming pool need knocked down and re-built. I had always wanted to stay at this hotel because it is an amazing historic grand hotel - let's just say they get their money very easily.

1  Thank AMacfarlane
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2012

Dear A Macfarlane,

Thank you very much for your review and I'm very sorry that you were disappointed with your overnight stay. We do try to represent all room types on our website and include pictures of newly refurbished premium rooms and traditional standard rooms. Our Reception team will always try and offer an alternative room if you'd let us know you weren't happy.

Our gym and pool are generally well received as we are one of only two hotels in Harrogate to have such a facility on site for free guest use.

The Majestic is an amazing historic grand hotel, as you say and I do hope that you'll get in touch so that we can better understand the issues you experienced.

Many thanks, Vince

Reviewed 24 July 2012

This is a maginficent, grand and indeed genuinely majestic hotel. It has huge presence, a great location, some great facilities but is in desperate need of room renovations.

Sure, it is an old building, and that is hard work to maintain. The main problem with the wonderfully sized rooms is that they are just too hot! We visited during a reasonably cool period, had the heating turned off and the windows wide open (risking inquisitive pigeons) but just could not cool it down.

On the plus side, the staff were lovely, especially at reception. The car park in the grounds is very handy and free. The concierge gave me a hand to get the worst of the pigeon poo off my car when we left. The gym/spa is small and friendly, with a non-scary gym where sad old gits like me can do a bit of phys without being intimidated by big kids.

The breakfast is grand, as is the room in which it is served, and well worth the money. The mezzanine "French Restaurant" was closed while we were there and being used for conference work, so we did not take dinner there. It is only a very short walk into town where you are spoiled for choice, as long as you book! The Tourst Information people are very helpful and rather lovely.

So, I give it 3 out of 5. You could twist my arm but I would not go above 4. The spa and gym made it for me.

Reviewed 21 July 2012

Just returned from a two night stay. We had a premium room, which was modern and spacious and overlooked the front of the hotel. Generally the cleanliness was very good, apart from dusty mirrors and pictures. Mirrors in the bathroom and bedroom hopeless for putting on make-up. Breakfast was excellent in choice and availability, although with the usual problems with a buffet style breakfast, ie cold bacon. Breakfast is 7am-10am. The restaurant only has a set 3 course evening meal menu at £25, which is very limited if you don't want 3 courses. I cannot comment on the restaurant food as we decided not to bother. We ate one night in the Regency Bar - quite a limited choice, but we enjoyed the Caesar salad. A shortage of staff in the bar caused some problems, but the barman was very apologetic. Hotel is in easy walking distance of the shops. We could not appreciate the grounds properly as there was a trade show on during our visit and all of the grounds were taken up and inaccessible to hotel patrons. A daily car parking charge of £3.50 is excessive and parking was limited because of the trade show. Housekeeping is a bit slap-dash - our tea tray was not replenished, so we had to request teabags. Overall we enjoyed our stay very much, especially as we only paid £152.50 for two nights bed and breakfast and our room was excellent.

Room Tip: We had room 132, which is modern and spacious. It overlooks the grounds and we did not have any pro...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2012

My sister and I stayed at the Majestic during the trade show. On arrival we found that the car park was full and I went into the hotel to ask about parking. Immediately a lovely gentleman ran outside into the car park and guided us to a space. On check in we had arrived early and unfortunately the room wasnt ready due to the hotel being full the previous evening which we totally understood, we dropped our bags and registered. We had a lovely chat with the Receptionist Alison who was very chatty and cheerful and booked us a table at a local restaurant for the evening which we had been recommended.

When we returned to the hotel at check in time Alison had kindly given us one of the beautiful new bedrooms on the third floor to which we were delighted.

The room was gorgeous, immaculate, spacious and had a great view. The room had all the facilities we needed, however the only downside I would say was the pillows and bedding were not to the standard of the rest of the room. The beds were extremely comfortable but the bedding was below par for the kind of hotel this is - just a point maybe someone may address.

We are definitely going to return to this lovely hotel with the excellent staff (especially Alison - thanks love you made our stay). The location is brilliant, minutes from the town.

I would highly recommend and we will stay for two nights or even longer next time.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newer rooms
1  Thank Lesley R

Dear Lesley2104,

Thank you for sharing your review. I'll ensure that Alison is aware of your kind praise for her customer relations, she is a real asset to us and your recognition will certainly be appreciated.

We always welcome all feedback and I have noted your observations on the pillows and bedding.

Lets hope it's not too long before your return visit.

Kind regards, Vince

Reviewed 19 July 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for 1 night during the recent Gift Fair. We couldn't have chosen a better situation as the exhibition was partially on the grounds of the hotel with the centre being right next door. We had problems parking initially because of some of the parking being lost to the exhibition but a very helpful duty manager double parked us and arranged for our car to be moved if necessary. The hotel has recently changed hands and is now run by Puma hotels rather than Barcelo. We found all the staff, from the front desk to the housekeeping extremely pleasant and helpful. The hotel itself is looking a little tired decoratively but is clean. Our room was a good size, we were in an executive double, and the bathroom was large. The lighting in the bathroom particularly was appalling - very difficult to put on make-up, and no better in the bedroom. The bed was overly firm - I like a firm mattress but this was like a board - they should check out the Hypnos mattresses Premier Inns use. Free Wi-Fi was great and parking at 3.50 GBP per day was a bargain. A very short walk into the town centre for restaurants - something to be taken into consideration given the weather. I would stay here again because of the convenience but would hope that the new owners will do some refurbishment.

Dear mjsjava,

Thank you for your review and for choosing the Majestic Hotel for your visit to Home and Gift. I'm very pleased that our Team looked after you and were friendly and welcoming. It is a challenge when the Fair is taking place as the hotel and grounds do get very busy.

As you were in one of our Premium bedrooms, you will have had a Hypnos bed as these have been our choice for the last 6 years on our rolling refurbishment plan. I'm sorry you found it too hard for you and perhaps Premier Inn use a slightly different specification as ours is the same specification as Marriott Hotels.

Hopefully we will see you again next year for the Home and Gift Fair.

Many thanks, Vince