“First trip to Harrogate”
Review of The Majestic Hotel

The Majestic Hotel
Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I stayed for three nights and one of the best things was its position, an easy walk into the town. As a single traveller I was in a "Single" room but it was certainly big enough and had a huge bathroom attached. Breakfast was wonderful, lots of choice and everything fresh and delicious. I particularly liked the fresh fruit which included watermelon. I had two other meals in the hotel, one in the restuarant and one from the room service menu but eaten in the bar. All the staff were pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank salindacd
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2012

Dear Salindacd,

Thank you for your review and hoping this is the first of many trips to Harrogate.

I'm really happy that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff looked after you.

Many thanks, Vince

Write a ReviewReviews (3,026)

Reviewed 18 August 2012

Having just visited last weekend, we were extremely disappointed with the Reception Service on arrival, no information was given on hotel, no real warm welcome, and very slow service. We got to our room which was absolutely roasting, we requested a fan which we had to chase up 2 hours later and were told there weren't any. We offered to go and buy some and charge back to hotel and voila the "Manager" appeared with a fan!!!!

The Location is excellent, the staff let the side down on Reception, I had a problem with my Room Key and the man behind the desk ignored me for about 5 mins before he actually assisted me, when we were checking out there was a big queue and 1 girl on the desk, she was doing her best, but what annoyed us more was the Manager hoevering about and not assisting!!

Doubt we will return.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank r0nmanm1l

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience and I am sorry that we did not meet our own usual standards during this visit. Our staff are normally singled out as very helpful and friendly in most other reviews and is saddens me that this was not your experience.

The hotel can get hot on the infrequent days when we have high summer temperatures and we had already committed most of our 24 fans. I'm glad the situation was resolved in the end.

Reviewed 17 August 2012

the bedroom was superb the main entrance was grand the comfort of this hotel is the the best we ever had the breafast was fantastic and the choice was very very good the staff were very helpful and freindly

Room Tip: our double room was superb so was our freinds room
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank karlHarlow
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2012

Reviewed 16 August 2012

x2 couples in upgraded rooms (Very modern and very clean) could not fault the rooms and service from this hotel, pool area ok, nice bar to have a drink in and a relax. Easy walking distance into town. One night decided to eat in the hotel - this was very poor and a waste of money. Would return but wouldn't eat in the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank 59lindsey

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you so much for posting your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and all feedback helps us either keep doing the things which work well, or highlighting areas where we can improve. Your comments about the restaurant are of help and we have new menus due to launch in September.

Reviewed 16 August 2012

Stayed for 2 nights in this lovely hotel. The public rooms are really impressive and built to impress the rich in 1900. We stayed on the first floor, above the original entrance. Our rooms were great, spacious and clean. We had booked the executive rooms, complaints seem to come from those staying in standard rooms. Our bed was super king-sized and very comfortable.
We did not eat dinner in the restaurant but had breakfast which is buffet style. I do prefer to order my food and be served but that is personal choice and It was fine. My sister however, ordered the kippers in parsley butter, which looked awful. It was tiny, and looked like boil-in-the-bag and certainly had no parsley butter. For a 4 star hotel, especially in view of the fact that others had made similar comments, I feel they should have addressed this issue sooner.

Overall a lovely hotel and will definitely book again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank dawncardiff1

Reviewed 15 August 2012

The Majestic looks the part on the surface and one can certainly imagine it being splendid in times gone by but for all the money that would appear to have been spent on its facelift (referring to other posts) the decor is relatively uninspiring and more reminiscent of your Gran's front room than a grand hotel. Brown and beige appear to be the name of the game..and lots of swirls.

The public rooms are spacious and comfortable but empty. There is no reading material available - not even a dog-eared newspaper - and it would appear that they are therefore provided to allow you to recover between traipsing between the manned services; the bar that was open and restaurant are sufficiently distant from one another to given Usain Bolt a healthy warm up.

I resisted the 3 course meal for £25 - which appears to be reasonable value - in favour of a bar meal and whilst tasty, hot and freshly put together, the beer batter on my fish would have remained crisper were it not for the rather ostentatious silver dome.

The standard room was of a reasonable size, clean, comfortable and brown and the bathroom bright, clean and fresh looking - despite it's brown feature wall.

Like most modernised hotels, rooms benefit from a good selection of Freeview TV channels and free WiFi.

Overall, the Majestic would appear to offer reasonable value for money and clearly attracts families with dogs (a good thing in my book) but would probably not be somewhere to take a loved one if you are out to impress or if you are looking to treat yourself to something special.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank LaidBacknHappy

Dear Laidbacknhappy,

Thank you for your review and I'm sorry that you were unimpressed with certain aspects of your stay. I've not had the pleaseure of visiting your Gran's front room though assume its quite nice. In fairness I did have to double take as there really is very little in the hotel rooms which is brown. We have some rooms with burgundy and gold feature walls ?

On arrival you will have been asked if you wanted to order a newspaper and we also have a veritable mountain of free Independants at Reception, plus there the Majestic history book in each bedroom which charts the wonderful heritage and some amazing stories of the hotel.

When you are next returning to Harrogate do let me know and I will ensure you are in a bedroom with different decor.

Reviewed 14 August 2012

If you like/love Harrogate this is an ideal hotel for posistion, it is on the doorstep. Walk out of the hotel and it is less than a 10min walk,better still it brings you right next to the Turkish Baths,and where the majority of different eateries that Harrowgate has to offer. The hotel is like its name, an old statesman but very majestic,steeped in history,not something you see every day. It belongs to the Puma group formely the Barcelo family, and its standards of value and service are superb,if you have stayed at any of their hotels you will no what I mean. Our room was a modern en-suite double both comfortable and quiet and very clean. The price was £79 for the room inc breakfast per night, with the use of the facilities inc swimming pool,gym etc.As usual the breakfast is self service,with full English variety, assortment of cereals,and fruits,you can just get as much as you want. We compared other hotels and B&Bs for this area and there was no where that could match this for value or facilities and posistion.You also get free WI-FI,there is an additional cost to park your car,at £3.50 per night,but as you should not need it,you can go out without the worry of finding somwhere to park.

Room Tip: Become a member you get a free upgrade.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple