“Majestic indeed” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Harrogate
guildford
“Majestic indeed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

I stayed here as part of a Gilbert and Sullivan package in August - what an incredible building, my jaw dropped as it came into sight, they certainly knew how to build properties in those days
the downstairs is equally impressive, all shiny, sparkly and clean, very impressive
my room had everything needed, tea/coffee facilities, toiletries, trouser press, ironing board and quilt for cold nights (not that I needed that)
the breakfasts were amazing, plenty of everything, hot food all laid out with kippers, poached eggs, veggie option on request then all the cold bits, lovely pastries, fresh fruit, prunes etc, an amzing selection of home made jams, jellies,lemon curd, I have to say after the breakfast there's no need for lunch or even dinner so unfortunately I didnt try out the restaurant although the choice looked good and very varied
I had a tuna sandwich one evening. promptly delivered with lots of salad and crisps
I did have a small about my my room so wrote to them and had a prompt response by way of a phone call from Steve the manager who sorted it quickly and politely, service like that is rare these days and it says a lot for a hotel that they can provide this, or perhaps it is Northern hospitality??
while I was there two weddings took place in the magnificent rooms downstairs, it is a magical place for a wedding
perfect location for the town and definitely worth a return visit

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Dear babette Guildford,

Thank you for your kind review following your visit to Harrogate. I'm so glad that you enjoyed the stay and lets hope we'll see you again next year for the Classic Fest.

It was also nice to read that your issue with your room was promptly sorted out by Steve, my Deputy. I always encourage guests to let us know if there is anything we can do to make their stay more enjoyable or to resolve any issue.

Looking forward to welcoming you back next year. Many thanks, Vince

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (650)
Lancaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012

The Grand Old Lady of Harrogate.
Booked a standard room and we were pleasantly surprised to see a recently refurbished, huge corner room on the fourth floor. Views to the side of the hotel and over the car park. The room was spotless and well decorated. The bathroom needed a bit of modernising but nothing to really complain about.
Short walk into town with plenty of restaurants on offer. The swimming pool was ok, abit on the small side so got a bit crowded but all you need for a quick swim.
Breakfast was good, served in a very large function room with attentive staff under pressure in a very busy hotel.
Check in and check out was swift and efficient, nothing more nothing less (not so personal)
The only thing that was a bit of a niggle and why I havent given it a 5 star rating is the car park charge. I knew about it before arrival (only through looking on trip adviser), but i still felt slighlty bitter when parting with money for parking on check out when i had just spent £80+ on a room for the night. I wish that had just hidden this in the room cost, although I know not everyone needs use of the car park.
I would recommend and will be back but just might park on the street outside.

Room Tip: Car Park Charges - Really! Corner Room on Fourth floor very good
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
Dear adeypea,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay. I'm really glad you enjoyed the hotel and appreciated the grandeur and scale.

We do appreciate all feedback and I'll work on the reception warmth of welcome which you mention. I'm sure you appreciated the convenience of the car parking and accept that not everyone will be enthralled with settling the £3.50 per night charge. You are able to use the roadside alongside us though without a council permit only from 6pm til 9am without getting a ticket. It's actually North Yorkshire County Council on the parking front though they are very strict with central Harrogate.

We're only a 10 minute stroll from the train station so there's another option available to you.

I do hope you'll revisit us soon. Many thanks, Vince
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012

What a beautiful hotel!Staff and management brought this magnificent hotel to life offering guests a warm,welcoming quality service.Words cannot adequately describe this lavishly appointed hotel.Our room, 337, was refurbished to the HIGHEST standard with a view overlooking the impressive lawns.The huge expensively appointed dining room was a joy to sit in and eat 5 star cuisine.
Another bonus is the close proximity of the hotel to the town centre.The hotel IS a show-piece in beautiful Harrogate.Four words describe our experience staying at the Majestic,( arriving on 3/9/2012 and departing 5/9/2012) luxurious,amazing,regal and comfortable.We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and were reluctant to depart!.

Room Tip: Possible upgrade for leisurebreak members to a deluxe refurbished room.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Marlene S,

Thank you for sharing your review with the Tripadvisor community. It's obvious that you really enjoyed your stay and I was glad to have the chance to say hello before you departed from us.

Lets hope it's not too long before we can welcome you back.

Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012 via mobile

The room on first sight was good but no more for an executive. Then I looked out of the window, disgusting. The flat roof was a cluster of old gutters filthy and covered in moss giving the impression of Slum Dog Millionaire!! I raised this with the management who considered this to be irrelevant, I asked to be moved or charged for no greater than a standard double. Service and perception of being a valued customer was amongst the worst I have experienced.

• Stayed August 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Stephen_Oe,

Thank you for your review and my sincere apologies that you were unhappy with the external pipework visible from your room. A very small number of our refurbished premium rooms on our lowest floor do have similar views when you stand at the window looking directly down. It is a comment rarely made.

When you raised this with our staff I would have hoped we could have moved you to another room quite easily. I'm sorry this was not the case though have insufficent detail to understand exactly what happened.

I can see from your profile that you visit Harrogate quite regularly and would invite you to get in touch with me as I would welcome the chance to help with your next booking.

Many thanks, Vince

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2012

Ideally situated less than 5 minutes walk from Harrogate center with excellent parking. We were a party of 4 and required a twin & double which were provided within a few yards of each other. Our double room had space for several to sit with two arm chairs and a normal chair provided, which again was ideal for us. The free WiFi was excellent and appreciated. The buffet breakfast was memorable and we were not chased out at the end of breakfast time. The only negative was the high price of drinks.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2012
Dear Davidiv,,
Thank you very much for posting your review which made for very pleasing reading. Glad you had an enjoyble time with us and hopefully we will welcome you back soon.

Lowestoft, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

Just back from ClassicFest in Harrogate. The Majestic is amazing.Upgraded room [Leisurebreaks members] excellent food served in bar anytime. I was most impressed the way this large Hotel coped with hugh wedding receptions and coach parties staying overnight, but at the same time providing the standard of service so often lacking in these situations.Yes,there is a car park charge and the room rate is not cheap unless you're lucky enough to get a deal [ and you need an IT degree to complete on Puma's online booking site! ] nevertheless you get what you pay for and we were not disappointed. We would not consider staying anywhere else when hopefully we return to Harrogate next year.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nancyboardley
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, 31 August 2012
Dear Nancy Boardley,

Thank you very much for posting your review. We were very proud to have been selected as the Head Quarters Hotel by the Classic Fest organisers and really enjoyed playing our part in the event.

It was a busy time for us and thus even more pleasing to read your positive comments about the service you received. We'll look forward to welcoming you back next year and you'll also be pleased to know that there's a new website in the pipeline which will be much easier to use.

Manchester,England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

I have just spent a few days in the Majestic Hotel-Harrogate.
The hotel must have been a show piece in Victorian times and Puma Hotels have
done their best to update it but without loosing its character.The entrance and ground floor are very grand and the restaurant where breakfast is served was also very regal.
The hotel is in a great location with reasonable parking charges,breakfast was very good with a large choice of food.The rooms are a bit dated and slightly worn but they are very clean and welcoming.We got a really good rate at this hotel,therefore making it great value for money.
The staff were all very helpfull and professional which made it a rather pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank David M
Dear David Mooney,

Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor. It's pleasing to read that you found us to offer great value and that our staff looked after you.

I'm sorry that you found your room a little dated though some of our clients prefer the more traditional rooms. When you next return, please consider booking one of our Premium Rooms as all of these have been fully refurbished over the last few years.

I do hope we can welcome you back soon as there are still some great offers available for this Autumn.