“4 STAR IT IS NOT”

Ranked #16 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“4 STAR IT IS NOT”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2012

My husband and I stayed in this "majestic sized" hotel for 1 night in early October 2012, however the 4 star rating did not live up to expectations.
Check in was ok but we only got 1 room key card rather than 2. Timings for breakfast were not mentioned but we were offered a newspaper.
The room itself was clean and fairly spacious. However the bed was only a double, but was comfortable. The bathroom was small and the toilet was just inside the door, very tight up against the wall. The bath was rather old and could do with being replaced. The door did not close on the click, but required to be locked.
My husband and I had booked dinner. The dining room was well occupied but....the waitresses and waiters seemed to spend more time talking to each other rather than serving customers. The menu itself was basic, disappointedly so. There were about 5 choices of each course but nothing really awe inspiring. The wine list was very poor, and the only Rose was not available and we ended up with a different option. It was brought with a wine bucket but was not chilled and ice in the bucket was practically non existent. We both felt slightly rushed which was a pity, however the biggest moan was to have to pay £3.00 for extra vegetables. Our dishes came with potatoes and about 3 string beans and 2 very small halved parsnips. A poor veg portion and it needed the extra. All the dishes were served on white china but not the extra veg, they(more beans, parsnips and some carrots) were in a small oval earthenware dish. Several dishes had an extra charge, not sure why as there was nothing special on the menu. Salad, chips, veg and potatoes were all available as extras The desserts all seemed to have come from a supermarket, out of boxes and the menu was written wrongly. (vanilla custard with profiteroles). The ice cream was cheep, not anything remotely local, which was huge pity as there are some lovely creamy locally produced options within a few miles of the hotel. My husband did mention the poor dessert choice to the head waitress but she didn't seem to understand, although she said she would mention it to the chef. The bar area hadn't been dusted...by the time we were on late night drinks we just picked faults for fun there were so many.
This morning on our way to breakfast we overheard a member of staff being harshly spoken to by her boss we presume in a public area (just outside the dining room), not a good start to the day. Surely if staff need to be spoken to then the office is a place for it, not a public area and definitely not at breakfast time. Breakfast was a buffet affair. The choice was good, but the hot food could have been hotter and it would have been nicer to have been given a jug of hot water to go with our pots of coffee and tea. The milk jug was just about empty, again should have been filled up when the table was reset. The waiters were slow to restock the bread basket, butter etc....mildly annoying.
The curtains and carpets and wall paper are all in good order but the skirting boards are dirty and bashed and need a lick of paint.
I know this sounds like a woman moaning about petty things but...it is supposed to be a 4 star hotel and it just isn't.
Oh and to insult to injury a charge of £3.50 for the car park.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, 9 October 2012
Dear Christine L,

Thank you very much for your review and my sincere apologies that we failed to meet your expectations on this visit.

Many of those reading your review may think that most of your points are very minor though I appreciate fully that it is the small points which are important and it saddens me that you left unhappy.

In the restaurant we do produce a conservative and traditional menu as this appeals to the majority of our clients as noted in other reviews. I'm sorry that our wine list was changing at the exact time of your stay. There is never a good time to change and I'm sorry that you were affected. On a positive note the new house wines are absolutely superb, a Chilean Sauvignon Blanc and a wonderful Sicilian Merlot.

When you are next visiting Harrogate, please do contact me so that I can have the opportunity to redeem your view of us and demonstrate our appreciation for your feedback.

Many thanks, Vince

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (662)
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2012

What a lovely hotel. Very modern, extremely clean and efficient, helpful, well presnted staff. Was actually more than I bargained for. Rooms were spacious and very nice, bathrooms large, modern and comfortable. Breakfast was self service (which I always abuse!) and the quality and choice both superb. Dinner was good at best, certainly no complaints but just wasn't what I would call "special". Limited menu but what we ordered was done well. Dining area very large (huge, high ceilings) and grand. Had a little bit of a conferencey feel to it though. I couldn't help thinking that it would be a great place to hold an annual conference. Will definitley stay again, but due to great location, will eat out next time. Very short walking distance to the town. Overall, if you are boking a stay (or stay + breakfast), you will struggle to find fault and will have to be impressed. Whilst I'm not thrilled of a hotel charging guests to use their car park (£3.50), I think we got very good vlue for money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the gardens overlooking the town.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, 11 October 2012
Dear Ryandale6,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I'm really pleased that you had such an enjoyable break and that our team looked after you.

We are about to launch new restaurant menus so on your next stay do take a moment to look at these before committing to go into town.

You're right about the venue for an annual conference and we are lucky to host some really prestigious conferences and events throughout the year. Nice photo.

Hopefully we'll be able to welcome you back very soon. Many thanks, Vince
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2012

We booked this hotel to celebrate a special occasion and we were not dissapointed, the hotel and staff were without fault. our room was spacious and spotless, the bed was one of the most comfortable I have slept in. Check in and out was quick and painless and both of us enjoyed our breakfast, the room we were in was well decorated with everything we needed. Would definately stay again and recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: we stayed on the 1st floor and room was decorated in a modern style and very comfortable
Dear Christine F,

Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay with us. It was very pleasing to read your kind priase for the team and the hotel. As with all feedback, we will share your comments with our team who will, no doubt be delighted.

I do hope we can welcome you back soon.

Leicester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012

Stayed at the Majestic Harrogate for one night on business in Oct 2012. Check in was fine, room was very spacious with very big and comfortable bed. But the rest of the experience was disappointing. I had to wait a full 10 minutes (I timed it!) for someone to check me out of the hotel - only one receptionist was on duty despite it being peak check out time at 8am and she was on the phone taking a very involved call. I interrupted her to ask her to get a colleague to attend to the ever-growing queue of people waiting to check out but she just motioned to me that she was on the phone! No colleague appeared. The person in the queue in front of me eventually walked away in disgust and shouted to the receptionist to send his bill to his home as he couldn't wait any longer to check out! In addition, lighting in the bedroom was so poor I could barely see what I was doing - my colleague reported that she had the same problem in her room. Too few socket points (had to unplug the kettle to be able to charge phone and use hairdryer at same time!) Room service food was terrible - I have stayed in lots of hotels and know what to expect of a fairly standard quality of room service food. But the bangers and mash was lumpy with unidentifable veg and the ice cream was a cheap version (despite costing £5 on the menu) with lumps of ice in it. Overall disappointing and not worthy of a 4 star hotel. Wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, 4 October 2012
Dear Businesstraveller612,

Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls in service which you experienced.

As you will note from other reviewers, your experience on this occasion was not reflective of our usually high standards. We do appreciate all constructive feedback and I have discussed your comments with our Receptionist who was on duty at the time.

When you are next visiting Harrogate then please do let me know and I will ensure you receive our best attention.

Many thanks, Vince

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

I came here on a Sunday after a 5 hour drive from Wiltshire with my boss, as we had an early morning business meeting on the Monday.
Check in was speedy, and the reception staff were lovely, very helpful. I asked for directions into the centre, and they even gave me a map, and directed me where to go. It's just down the road from Betty's tea rooms.
The room was lovely, very, very spacious, but I was extremely hot, but there was a fan in the room, which I was very grateful for.
The dining room is just magnificent, such a grand room, with high ceilings, and the food was lovely, the waitor's couldn't do enough for us :)
I had breakfast delivered to my room, which was delivered on time, and was nice.

Would definitely recommend, and would come back :)

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Dear Jennickwebb,

Thank you for posting your review foloowing your recent stay. I'm really pleased that our staff notably in Reception and the Restaurant, looked after you so well.

Whilst it's a long journey, I do hope we will welcome you back soon.

many thanks, Vince
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

Have been using this 'Majestic' hotel for many years now for various functions, its in a great town and great locations, gives you a feeling of travelling back in time but in a positive warm way! Service is great, food excellent and rooms are fab...it even has a carpark!!!!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Dear ExplorerllYorkshire,

Thank you very much for posting your review following your recent stay at the Majestic Hotel.

It's very pleasing to read your kind words and I shall ensure they are shared with our Team.

Your loyalty is greatly appreciated and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Northern Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights for a friend's wedding on 15th September and I can't praise this hotel highly enough. The room was fantastic (and priced accordingly, but definitely worth it!) and the wedding itself was beautiful. I don't think I've ever tasted such delicious food at a wedding! The staff were friendly and very helpful. The breakfast buffet was magnificent in variety and quality. My only tiny quibble would be that we saw quite a lot of "backroom" activity, such as a man up a ladder replacing a lightbulb in a chandelier just as a wedding party arrived in an adjacent area a few feet away! The fervent discussions of the restaurant staff trying to iron out whatever logistical problem was furrowing their brows was an unwelcome distraction at breakfast. I know these are very minor things and did not in any way detract from our immense enjoyment, but I expect such things to be conducted quietly behind the scenes, especially in a 4 star hotel, and left an impression of a lack of professionalism and polish.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Longhaulhoney,

Thank you very much for posting your review. We always delight in hosting weddings and I'm very glad to you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. I shall share your comments with all our team and especially our chef.

I'm sorry that you were privvy to certain backroom activities. The whole hotel has a basement level and most of our activity is conducted "below stairs" The chandeliers (all 32 of them) drive us insane with the numerous bulbs which have a mind of their own as to when they will blow. We are trialling some specialist low energy, long lifespan bulbs which will hopefully ease things.

Lets hope we can welcome you back again soon to explore more of this beautiful part of the country. Many thanks, Vince