“Great stay”

Ranked #18 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Wisbech Saint Mary, United Kingdom
“Great stay”
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Husband and I originally booked for 2 nights at the Majestic but enjoyed it so much we stayed another night.
Had booked a premium room and were not dissapointed.
Arrival and book-in at hotel were very smooth. Staff could not have been more helpful and we felt at home right away.
Room was very clean, modern and very comfortable. Two lovely fluffy bathrobes and slippers on the bed and fluffy white towels in the en-suite. Shelf full of toiletries and anyhting else you often forget to pack-toothpaste, comb, razor etc. Great.
Bar staff very obliging-we had bottle of wine in our room one night and bar staff provided bucket of ice, glasses and linen napkin to go with it.
Restaurant staff work very fast and efficiently-have never seen a table cleared and re-set so fast-great teamwork.
They made it look so effortlessly-have obviously been trained well.
Breakfasts are very very good. Lots to choose from-if anyone is dissapointed with breakfast I dont know what else they could want.
Pool looks very good although we forgot to take our cossies-we wont forget next time.
Housekeeping staff also deserve recognition for the quiet and efficient way they work.
The bed in our roon (237) was excellent-as good as any hotel bed I have ever slept in.
Town is only a few minutes walk through the lovely gardens so no need to take the car.
Several good restaurants in the area-really good Thai only a few minutes walk away-Sukothai.
As I have said with my previous reviews-I can only write how WE found it and our views may differ from yours, it wouldnt do for us all to be the same would it?
The Majestic is a grand old lady in Harrogate-stately and impossing but very dignified and has a great soul.
I can imagine Edward V11 staying there with one of his lady 'friends' in the early 1900's
If you want modern, minimalist chic then perhaps the Majestic is not for you BUT if you want an hotel that treats guests as friends, looks after you and respects your being there please try it.
The Puma group have obviously spent a lot of money on refurbishing the hotel and it really shows

Room Tip: 237 very spacious-overlooks the gardens and scenic view of the town
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, 22 October 2012
Dear ginpamcam,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your break so much that you added an extra night. It's a great pleasure to read of your experience and thank you for sharing your praise as all our departments play an important part in our overall guest service.

Most pleasing is that you felt at home and looked after.

Thank you for sharing your experience and hoping we can welcome you back soon.

Many thanks, Vince

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (692)
Cheshire
Reviewed 19 October 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a very pleasant 3 day break at The Majestic on a dinner, bed & breakfast basis. We were given a lovely spacious room overlooking the garden & town. All the hotel staff were very friendly, courteous and attentative. The food from the three course dinner menu was of a good standard but more choice on the main course dishes would help, two vegetarian options left only a choice of three remaining dishes. Breakfast however was completely different, although it was buffet service it offered a superb choice with surprisingly smoked salmon available every morning of our stay normally at most hotels this would warrant a surcharge, but one glaring ommission NO BLACK PUDDING (in Yorkshire unbelievable).
The weather proved to be a bonus, which with our lovely room and good food made our stay all the more enjoyable.
But the sting in the tail comes when you check out and find that you are being charged £10.50 for 3 nights just to park in the hotel car park, WHAT AN ABSOLUTE RIP OFF. I have stayed in hotels throughout the UK but never have I been asked as a guest at an hotel to pay to park my car. Someone in the Marketing Department at Puma Hotels needs to review this policy, it is costing you repeat business. Undoubtedly this took the gloss off what was a lovely stay.

Room Tip: 2nd floor room overlooking garden and town was excellent.
3 Thank TonyChesire
Dear TonyCheshire,

Thank you foir posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I'm very pleased to read that you had a lovely stay and enjoyed your dinner, bed and breakfast break.

Our breakfast buffet is very popular and does offer a really great selection including smoked salmon. Because the hot food is buffet style we decided not to display black pudding as the problem is that it becomes dry and tough in virtually no time and is actually not that popular, even in Yorkshire !

We have new menus being launched this November which will give a much larger choice than is currently the case and a wider range dishes which we are hoping will provide an even greater appeal.

I do hope we can welcome you back soon. Many thanks, Vince
emmal0uise87
Reviewed 18 October 2012

stayed here 16th october to 18th october and had a very relaxed 2 days break. very old styled hotel which was very grand and lovely, staff were very helpfullon check in and to give us information on the hotel and town. we had just booked a standard double well looking at the website and on here there seemed to be no bad pictures of the rooms, but when we got our room it was abit grotty and dated the bathroom was lovely but the room itself had ripped sofas and chairs and just abit dark and dindgy!! as we was after a cheaper few days away we thought we would stay in this room as it was clean just not really as grand as the rest of the hotel. clean towles and hot water was plentyfull. the breakfast was good lots of choice and lovely staff. we ate in the hotel restuarant and it was the best meal i have ever had steak madallions cooked perfectly and cajun pranws the whole meal was beautiful i am a chef myself and very picky but id like to thank the chef for my lovely meal, recongiction should be given. i also had a treatment and my nails done the girl at the spa was really nice made me feel at ease and had a lovely time. on a whole my stay was very good as a younger couple in such a big grand hotel it could be abit more lively but was very nice 2 days away.

Dear emmalouise87,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I was really pleased to read of your enjoyment with your short break.

I'm sorry that your room wasn't impressive and if you'd let me know the number we will attend to any issues we find.

Dinner was clearly a success and our Head Chef will be very pleased to receive such feedback from a fellow professional. We have new dinner menus about to launch in November which do retain the fillet steak medallion with cajun prawns alongside even more mouth watering options.

Most importantly, I'm pleased that you were made to feel welcome and I do hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Marske-by-the-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2012

We attended a wedding reception here. The MC was outstanding and directed the proceedings in an experienced and efficient manner. The staff were all courteous and attended to our needs. Diabetics and those with dietery problems received personal attention. I imagine was very expensive but certainly worth the money.
There was a charge in the car park but this was waived for wedding guests.
The quality of the service and reception was excellent.
Highly recommended.
We didn't stay but relatives did and found it very acceptable and worth the expense..

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, 18 October 2012
Dear Kingell,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I'm really pleased to note how impressed you were with the service provided at the wedding which you attended and I know that our team will also appreciate your kind comments.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Stayed at this hotel a few months ago for one night and I was blown away with the grandeur of the place. I just love these old hotels (when they're looked after!) and this is a perfect example.

Parked the car in the car park (and yes, I knew about the car parking charge, and had already factored that in, so no complaints there.) Was greeted at reception by a friendly and efficient receptionist who seemed genuinely pleased to greet us - what a change! Given the key to our room and off we went up the sweeping staircase to our room on the first floor.

We had booked a premium room, because I had seen a few reviews where the quality of the standard room was a bit variable, to say the least. I have to say, it was well worth the extra - a beautiful old room, with high ceilings and quality furniture, refurbished to a good modern day standard. All the furniture was quite new, the bed was absolutely lovely. The bathroom was a tad small - in fact microscopic, compared to the picture we'd seen when booking - but how much time do you spend in the bathroom? Still, it was nicely refurbished and very modern. The water was hot, the towels clean and plentiful and everything we could possibly want was provided.

We had a drink in the lounge before dinner and I was pleasantly surprised at the drinks prices - usually in a place like this the drinks are practically unaffordable, but they were only slightly above normal bar prices anywhere.

Dinner was perfect - and what a dining room! The surroundings are really luxurious: love the high ceilings and decorations .

After a lovely night's sleep (oh, that bed - it took some getting out of!) breakfast was well cooked, well presented with plenty of choice. The only very slight criticism was that the plates hadn't been warming very long and I couldn't find one that was more than lukewarm, but once again, taken in context, nothing to worry about.

All in all we had a beautiful, if too short, stay. I'll book here again, without doubt.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the premium room - and ask for a room with a view over Harrogate, rather than the car...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank riggers386_11
Dear riggers386_11,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I was very pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us and your comments will, I'm certain, prove helpful for other TA members looking to stay with us.

Our bathrooms do vary in size as when the hotel initially opened in 1900, we had 221 bedrooms (170 now) but none were en suite and that tricky exercise was carried out in the 1930's, leading to all sorts of shapes and sizes.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience, Vince
Riddleden,Keighley, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2012

The Grand Victorian Hotel was just what the doctor ordered for my husband and myself. We entered the hotel from the back car park which did not do it justice, go look at the front of the Majestic and you will know what I mean! The grand entrance takes you back in time and the whole hotel has little reminders all over to let you know how much it has changed from years ago. The hotel is very clean and well staffed with lots to see and do. We were on the fourth floor room 437 and it was fantastic, very roomy and well decorated. It was quiet and the view out of the window was of Harrogate. The room had everything you could imagine to make your stay a little easier. It had a big bath and shower and a heated towel rail which was great. We had room service which did make you feel special. Breakfast was lovely, lots to eat and such a good variety for all. We didn't have evening meals because we ate out in Harrogate but we saw the menu and it looked very al a carte. The food was great and the staff couldn't do enough for you. We didn't use the swimming pool but it looked lovely. We went to the Turkish baths instead! We spent Friday and Saturday night at the hotel and would definitely go back we were very pleased :>)

Dear ShelleyBrittan,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I enjoyed reading your review and was very pleased that our team looked after you so well.

I do hope you enjoyed your visit to the nearby Turkish Baths. These have been lovingly restored and have won numerous awards. They are a 5 minute walk from the hotel and are a "must try" for anyone visiting Harrogate for relaxation. Heartily recommended.

Lets hope we can welcome you back soon. Many thanks, Vince
Edinburgh
Reviewed 13 October 2012

I stayed at the majestic for a conference during the week. The hotel itself is well situated just a few minutes from the center of town. My room was immaculate and featured a full sized bath. They have free Internet and the pool and fitness facilities are excellent. during the exhibition the lunch served up was good (not great). The hot food was luke warm and the sandwiches were .. ok. At the evening meal the food was very good. Staff were very friendly and looked after you but I felt that the price of beer (close on £4 a pint) was a bit steep.

Reception is at the rear of the hotel where taxi's etc bring you in. Have a walk round the other side to the old 'front' of the hotel for a look at what it was designed to look like. Quite spectacular Victorian facade.

Room Tip: Rooms at the 'rear' of the hotel from the reception are at the old front of the hotel which...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Dear james_and_Tracey,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. We are a popular choice for conferences and I'm very glad to see that you had an enjoyable time and made good use of all the facilities.

Our central location and the grandeur of the building does seem to have a strong appeal for conference organisers.

We do keep a close eye on our bar pricing and at £3.65 for a pint of bitter and £3.95 for a pint of lager, served in such amazing surroundings does seem to be acceptable value as the beer seems to also be popular with delegates !

Many delegates return to us for short breaks on leisure and I hope we can welcome you back soon. Many thanks, Vince