“great hotel and spa”

Ranked #18 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Durham, United Kingdom
“great hotel and spa”
Reviewed 2 December 2012

My husband and I stayed two nights here. We formed our own package rather then with a spa website, which worked out much cheaper and by joining the Puma hotels leisure membership, we got an upgraded room and 20% of spa treatments, so so much more packed in for a cheaper price. That sounds like an advertisement but just meant more to be a smug pat on my back and encouragement for others to do the same!

The room we had was a deluxe and wow the biggest room we have ever experienced. Lovely Victorian architecture with suitable modern furnishings.

The hotel was just packed with history and we spent time wandering and soaking this in. As a young couple it just struck us how much effort had gone into this building in its hay day.

The restaurant serves good food, but definitely needs more advertising and bit more modern presentation of dishes. There are many hotels and restaurants in Harrogate so the hotel would benefit with better selling of the restaurant.

The spa is in the lower level- perfect placement away from the busy hotel and the spa staff are professional and really great at their job. We felt very relaxed and took a pamper package each which again worked out so much cheaper by doing it our own way!

The hotel is so close to the town center which is great to pop in for dinner, the turkish baths and famous Bettys.

well worth going.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SRIBEN
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, 3 December 2012
Dear SRIBEN,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel, Harrogate. You certainly deserve that pat on the back and I think it's more enjoyable when you have created your own break.

Now you've done it once, it should be very easy to repeat the exercise and I'll look forward to welcoming you back.

Have a wonderful Christmas, Vince

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (701)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2012

wish we had read previous review about loud music, also stayed on 2nd floor and the noise and vibrations not just kept us awake but was unbearable. no joy from reception did not complain in the morning as we were guests of our son in law.make sure there are no functions if you stay at this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank ivan r
Dear Ivan R,

I was sorry to read your review and hear of your distrubance by noise from a function. If you would be so kind as to contact me then I can look into how this came about. My email is v.johnson@pumahotels.co.uk .

We host many functions each year and many people stay who are attending these and equally those who are not. The hotel is huge so we are usually able to allocate sensibly keeping everyone happy. Please accept my sincere apologies for the disturbance.

Kind regards, Vince
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2012

I stayed for 3 nights at the Majestic. When I arrived it was dark and wet and so I could not appreciate the outside of the building. However the warmth of the hotel and welcome soon made up for this. My room was huge as was the bathroom - it could have been made into a reasonable sized apartment. There was only one radiator that I could see yet the room was very cosy. Everything was spotless, the toiletries in the bathroom were good quality and shower worked well. My only complaint was that there were not enough light fittings in the room, making it a bit dark for working. The bed was very comfortable and I slept well for all 3 nights. I had room service on my first night and this was very good, although a tray charge of £5 is a little steep. I used the gym twice while I was there - clean and well -equiped - one of the better hotel gyms I have used. Breakfast was excellent, with lots of choice of both hot and cold food. The hotel has lovely grounds and is convenient for walking into the town. I was pleasantly surprised at how quiet the hotel - you would expect some building noises in an old hotel but there were none. Overall a very enjoyable stay and I would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Maggie H
Dear Devonvillamaid,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel, Harrogate. I'm very glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you took the opportunity to sample the vast majority of what we have to offer.

If you would let me know which room you were allocated I can then check the lighting. In some of our largest rooms the sheer size can add extra challenges and if necessary we could look at adding more lights. Email: v.johnson@pumahotels.co.uk . All feedback is helpful as we do continuously make small improvements and there is no substitute for actually staying a few nights in a guest room.

Hoping to welcome you back again soon. Many thanks, Vince
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2012

After having a short break at this hotel in July, we returned last night to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We were very impressed once again by the staff, the standard of the room and the cleanliness. We were pleasantly surprised to find that the restaurant had improved since our last visit. There was a choice of '3 courses for £25' with several options or the 'A La Carte' menu. We choose from the 'A La Carte' and the food was delicious. Well done The Majestic, we look forward to visiting again!

Room Tip: 103 has steps up to the bathroom which could be difficult for some visitors, but otherwise was very...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Durham_Folks
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, 29 November 2012
Dear Durham_Folks,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel, Harrogate. We are grateful that you decided to return to the hotel for such an important day and glad that you enjoyed the experience again.

It's really encouraging to read that you enjoyed the new a la carte menu. We wanted to be able to offer simple food that gave our guests more choice in addition to our traditional daily inclusive menu.

A small number of our rooms have steps to the bathroom, dating back to when the bathrooms were added in the 1930's as the fashion for shared facilities declined. Our team are well aware of the features of each room and can advise accordingly.

I do hope that we can welcome you back soon. Many thanks, Vince
Neston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2012

I return each year for a conference, and staying at the hotel is one of the pleasures of the trip. The hotel gets better each year, both in terms of its fabric and the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. It has a certain style and atmosphere, which is missing in most hotels, especially modern ones. Despite the size and grandeur of its ground floor rooms, I don't find it at all stuffy. Its location is very convenient also, with the centre of town so close, just a pleasant stroll away through the gardens .

PS Check out the Gents toilets: they are magnificent. The ladies at the conference insist on a guided tour and seem very envious!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Peter E
Dear Peter E,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel, Harrogate. It was a real pleasure to read your review and your kind praise of our team. We are fortunate to have some wonderful conference clients who return to us each year and whose events are a real pleasure to host.

I'm glad that you notice the small improvements that are continually being made and hopefully we can welcome you back before next November. A short break in Harrogate has for centuries been a great tonic.

On the subject of the amazing victorian gents toilets, I have often wondered how many thousands of ladies have viewed them over the years.

Many thanks, Vince
Nottingham
Reviewed 25 November 2012

Stayed at the majestic hotel for one night to attend an awards ceremony. We arrived at 2.30 pm having booked 2 double rooms. Neither room was ready and the receptionist could not tell us what time it would be ready. The hotel has some very grand ground floor reception rooms. The drinks were quite expensive. We had a buffet after the ceremony which was good and varied. Plenty of car parking. There was a Christmas market and a knitting convention on in Harrogate which did not help the movement of traffic round the town. Having said that the traffic is always bad in Harrogate. Perhaps the town planners should consider some park and ride sites.

• Stayed November 2012
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2012
Dear Chrismar50,

Thank you for your review of the Majestic Hotel. I'm sorry that there was a short delay in being able to check into your rooms. we do always have the ability to store luggage and many guests use this to allow them to go into the town rather than wait.

Harrogate is a very popular place with many access points but it can get busy. from the North I always use the A61 Ripon Road and from the South I use the route via Wetherby. Once you arrive and park, then everything you need is just a short walk away.

New for this year is a fabulous Christmas market just down the hill from Betty's. It is definately proving popular and is well worth a visit for some great Christmas gifts.

Hoping to welcome you back soon, Vince
Preesall, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2012

We went as a group from work for a Spa Break weekend and had a fabulous time. The rooms were beautifully decorated as was the bathroom. The champagne and chocolates were most definitely enjoyed. The food in the restaurant was good as was the service. The girls in the Salon were friendly and made it a great experience. The only downsides were checking in - there was only one member of staff on reception and about 15 people trying to check in(not the best first impression) and having to pay for parking over the weekend albeit at a discount rate.
We're already trying to decide which hotel to visit next year!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Stephanie S,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel following your spa weekend with us. I'm really glad that you enjoyed to the full, all elements of your special break.

For ideas for next year I'd recomment our Shrigley Hall Hotel near Manchester or Redworth Hall Hotel near Durham, or just come back to beautiful Harrogate and maybe add in a visit to the Turkish Baths.

Hope to welcome you back soon. Kind regards, Vince