“everything got sorted”
Review of The Majestic Hotel

The Majestic Hotel
Ranked #18 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Started with the EFL receptionist not hearing my surname and trying to book us in ...but she had already booked someone in as us and so we were upgraded.....result. Our room overlooked the car park but this wasnt a problem . recently upgraded room I would say . Lovely bathroom with complex shower system. Only niggle I didnt find the make up mirror. Informed reception on checkout ( we were onlt there one night ) and they said would sort it. We were attending a function at the htel. I had emailed to say I was gluten intolerent. Starter came with g free bread. MAin was adapted and good. Pudding mediocre ( the official was profiteroles...I had meringue with a poor ice cream ). Breakfast was very busy and we had to queue to enter dining room as a lot of groupon clients . Lots of choice of fruit etc. When I went to hot buffet ordered poached eggs and gluten free toast. Must have been a bit of mix up as got 2 lots of toast and eggs after abit of wait....bacon had gone cold. Very obliging gut on reception on exit....ask for car park ticket and you dont have to pay....

Room Tip: Agree with all other comments. They are building next door . We werent troubled as Saturda and we we...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mathsbaker
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear Mathsbaker,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel and really pleased that we dealt with your dietary requirements well.

It did tickle me that the the queue for breakfast was because we had a lot of groupon clients ! Surely its just many other guests have a leisurely breakfast at the same time.

Glad you had a good stay and hope to welcome you back soon.

There are newer reviews for The Majestic Hotel

Reviewed 1 December 2013

myself and partner stayed two nights on a business convention and enjoyed our stay. the massive building was old, and shabby in places but beautiful and the rooms were large and well equipped. the staff were hardworking and pleasant, and the breakfast was great. the only reason i haven't given a five is that the whole building was hot enough to grow tomatoes, which nearly saw off some of the older guests at the dinner dance.

Dear Jason f,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I'm very grateful for your 4 star rating and sorry that it was a little hot for you.

It is very difficult as Winter approaches as the temperatures have remained milder than usual without the morning frosts we would normally expect. I'd always rather be too warm than too cold though we are due to be at freezing tomorrow !

Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

Hotel not bad looking but service leaves a lot to be desired!!! No soap in room to wash hands yet asking it did not arrive! Shower head dreadful and needs replacing!!! Works Christmas party supposedly drinks reception yet we never received ours despite telling 2 members of staff who were rather abrupt and walked away!!! Not impressed with the service at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Laura A

Dear Laura A,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel.

I am sorry that it appears on this occasion that we did not meet our usual service standards, and appreciate you highlighting the issue.

Many thanks, Vince

Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

This is a magnificent building; grand and imposing. I got to my room (405) and sank into the comfort of it. Lots of space and considerate touches - bottle of water, lovely toiletries. No noise - bliss!

She's a little frayed at the edges but nonetheless there's a charming degree of opulence like the sweeping staircase, deep carpeting, chandeliers and general décor.

The room book about the hotel dates from 2000 and is outdated/old-fashioned in it's tone and celebration of celebrities from the seventies: Bucks Fizz, Freddie Starr - really?! There are clear opportunities to revise and modernise the way the hotel and management presents itself. Some hotels provide a couple of glossy magazines for both sexes; I saw plenty of younger guests staying here on shopping trips.

It's only a short walk/taxi trip from the town which is beautiful and the nighttime Christmas decorations with lights in all the trees is a magical sight.

I didn't have an evening meal here but breakfast was good in a surprisingly very busy restaurant at 10a.m. I had a good swim in the smallish pool. A little smartening-up needed.

It appears popular with people on 'group on' vouchers so is a busy place. Great customer service and I can definitely recommend.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear WiltshirePhilippa,

Thank you so much for posting your 5 star review of the Majestic Hotel in Harrogate. As a TA Top Contributor I really welcome your feedback and we are looking at the history book.

This publication was produced to celebrate our first hundred years trading as as such is steeped in the 20th Century. We are making efforts to bring ourselves back up to date and really happy to have your support.

Many thanks, Vince

Reviewed 28 November 2013

Overall this is a lovely building to stay in and my room was a fantastic size. The whole hotel is just very tired and in need of new beds, bedding, bathrooms and heating. Also beware you will be charged for parking at the hotel even when paying for a room!
Having said that the staff were really friendly and helpful and the breakfast was fantastic.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Bext83,

Thank you for posting your review and glad you found the hotel lovely. We are constantly improving our bedrooms and on your next visit you should try one of our fully refurbished Premium Rooms.

Hoping to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Very nice location,lovely pool, great beauty facilites. Nice rooms,very quiet especially as it was near the town centre. Lovely breakfast,dinner was lovely but minimal portions. Very good value and I would love to got again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear Andrea O,

Thank you for posting your 5 star review of the Majestic Hotel, Harrogate.

So glad you enjoyed your visit and hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

This hotel needs updating.

Upon arrival I was told that there was no record of my restaurant booking despite me having email confirmation that the booking had been made. After persevering the hotel double booked us in the restaurant to enable us to dine at the time we required.

In the morning, whilst making the bed, my partner discovered stains on the mattress topper. The stains appeared to be old blood stains. This was absolutely disgusting and completely unacceptable.

I left an item of property at this hotel. When I made enquirers to retrieve it I was told that nothing had been found. I was advised that the room had been cleaned before the next occupant arrived therefore this would suggest that the property should have been found and handed in. Unfortunately this did not happen. I was very disappointed by this and this has further tainted my view of this hotel somewhat. I would not recommend.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Neety2013

Dear Neety2013,

Thank you for posting your review and I'm sorry that you encountered these issues. I am glad that we managed to arrange your dinner reservation at a suitable time despite the initial confusion.

If you let me know the details of your room and lost property I will double check for you. My email is v.johnson@pumahotels.co.uk . We have logged over 300 items of lost property this year and returned numerous items to their owners. Sometimes items go out inadvertenty with the laundry though we do try our utmost to help where we can.

Looking forward to hearing from you, Vince