“Rubbish”

Ranked #17 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Wallsend, United Kingdom
“Rubbish”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

My wife and I today returned from a 2 night stay at the Majestic Hotel in Harrogate; I think it should be renamed the “damn noisy and terrible food” hotel, as there was little majestic about this hotel. I appreciate hotels have to accommodate Christmas parties but I don’t want to have to fight through a crowd of party goers to get to dinner, nor have to listen to their drunken antics whilst I eat, nor do I want to be awoken at 2am as they stumble back to their rooms singing and shouting. Perhaps we wouldn’t have heard them had the walls not been paper thin and the gap under the door been less than an inch.

When you arrive at the Majestic hotel, it’s glamourous with the beautiful décor in reception, high sealings and footmen but that’s where the Majestic stops – it’s down hill from there.

I paid an extra £20 per night, at time of booking, to be upgraded to a Premium Room – what I discovered on arrival is that £40 got us a couple of bottles of water and robes we didn’t need; in our substandard room with tiny bathroom – the only reason I can assume the room was referred to as Premium was that it reminded the manager of Premier – Premier Inn; as it looked just like a room off their adverts. That’s where the comparison ended though as Premier Inn provide a much higher standard of room; their doors are insulated, their beds are comfortable, their heating works and their towel rails don’t take 14 hours to heat up.

The staff at dinner were attentative and the room with chandeliers, beautiful but the food was so sub-standard my wife said “this reminds me of brewers fayre”! A look into the kitchen and you see why; boys standing about it black polo shirts and baseball caps; no chefs whites in sight and no steam to suggest cooking being done.

On the first night we both had the ‘chicken and chorizo terrine’ which was icy cold (frozen) and served with the same chutney that was on offer at breakfast the following morning. The duck breast my wife had was over cooked, and the poached haddock I had wasn’t poached; was a tiny part of the haddock, served on a bed of powdery mash with parsnips! Who puts roast parsnips with haddock? For desert I had a cold sticky toffee pudding swimming in toffee ice-cream sauce and my wife had a ‘trio of sorbet’ which actually was a blackpool-style sundae glass with a wafer, and 3 flavoured ice creams.

On the second night, we hoped it would be better… My wife order broccoli soup with Croutons (she had to ask twice for the croutons after the soup arrived) whilst I had a lovely sounding mushroom and blue cheese tartlet which actually was a mushroom quiche without any blue cheese; but it did have a big dollop of kebab shop garlic mayonnaise! For mains this was where we were most disappointed; my wife had the rump steak (no issues there) but I ordered a ‘slow roasted leg of lamb’... can you imagine my disappointment when I received 2 slices of roast lamp joint; with the veg it looked like a cheap roast dinner. I complained to the waitress and was told “yeah, they’re slicing the meat tonight”. As I cut into it I discovered it wasn't even slow cooked but it was rubbery over cooked meat that didn’t even taste of lamb. It was also supposed to be served with oyster mushroom which was no where to be seen and a red wine jus which was in fact a watery red drizzle. Just to finish off this fine dinning experience my wife ordered pavlova not a meringue nest

5 Thank Richard A
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
Dear Richard A,

Please accept my apologies that you were disappointed with your stay. Unfortunately it is quite predictable that on a weekend in December a large hotel in a town centre will be busy with partygoers and the room provided to you was fully refurbished to a very high standard in 2011, with all appliances in working order. The bathroom is small though has all the usual fittings.

I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy dinner on eating on both evenings. There was a mistake with the lamb whereby roast lamb was used as the slow roasted portions had run out and you should have been advised of this.

Our kitchens have a large brigade of chefs though they are located below the restuarant and all our meals are brought up on an escalator to the restuarant hence you only saw our kitchen porters on the top level. Our chef has worked with us for 28 successful years and I'm sorry that it didn't suit your taste.

Kind regards, Vince

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (674)
Ripon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

Attended a Christmas party night on the 21st December and the service was terrible. I have an intolerance to certain foods and they were notified of this at least a week prior to the event and also on the evening. Three times it took to get the correct starter and on clearing the soup they dripped it all over the table cloth near me and on my chair, but didn't change my chair or cutlery untill I mentioned it on my return to the table. No apology either. The pudding was also disappointing and unimaginative, a handful of fruit salad dumped on a plate, zero presentation. Just everything seemed a hassle rather than an evening I could have enjoyed.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Georgina198825
Dear Gerorgina198825,

Thank you for posting your review and my apologies that we struggled to meet your specific dietary needs.

Kind regards, Vince

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed at The Majestic for a two night break to celebrate our 36th wedding anniversary. Our room 217 was very tired. The paint to the right of the right hand window was peeling and there were signs of damp and further peeling paint. At the bottom of the windows there was lots of slimy black mould. In the bathroom there was a shower curtain! This is 2013 and this purports to be a 4 star hotel and yet we had a 1970s commercial hotel bathroom. Around the bath handle and in the corner of the bath was ample evidence of black mould. The literature in the room claimed that there was wifi in the "entire" hotel. Oh no, there isn't. In the corridor outside the room I could get a signal but the moment I entered the room - nada, zilch.

We took dinner the first night in the dining room. We ordered a bottle of wine to have with our meal. However the starters arrived before the wine waitress appeared with the news that they did not have a bottle of the wine we had ordered and had brought a suggested replacement. We chose a different bottle and off she went whilst we tucked in to our starters. The bread roll was very nice - but once eaten our side plates were whipped away; no chance of being offered another roll. The best that can be said about the meal was that irt was edible. However it was uninspiring and tasteless. Two small "roast" potatoes (I think they had been shown the fat for a short minute), rock hard broccoli and two pieces of granite hard carrot accompanied two slices of tasteless and tough "roast" lamb. The meat was reminiscent of those Fray Bentos instant dinners from the 1970s. Perhaps they still have a stock of them? The lemon tart dessert lacked any sort of kick or flavour and could well have been industrially produced and delivered by Brake Bros. Replace the lamb with chicken or pork and you had in front of you half the mains menu. Was the head chef away for the night?

On the afternoon of the second day, after sitting in the corridor for a half hour on the internet I decided we had had enough and I went to reception to make my feelings known. Ewan on reception phoned the IT guy and asked him to reset the router so that I could have an internet connection in the room! I told him corridor good, room bad for wifi. This prompted the IT man to tell Ewan that room 217 had wifi issues. Ewan phrased this as 217 being in a grey area. Ewan you just lost me at that point. Grey no, black yes. Ewan then asked me what I wanted to do about it. NO Ewan - it is your job to solve the problem - not mine. The outcome was that we were moved to room 229. A better room but looking out at a balcony railings dying out for a coat of paint, mould and bird poo covered down pipes and grass growing through the balcony floor. It looked like the back end of a slum.

In the middle of the night we were woken by an amazing noise from the radiator which was akin to an alarm. Adjustment soon silenced the said radiator.

Breakfasts were OK but why, when you see my wife with a walking stick did you put us on the most distant table on the first morning? Can the cook do fired eggs with runny yolks or are they always congealed?

Car parking charge of £3.50 for the night. Why not be honest and put this in the price? It irks.

One issue on its own and I would not have moaned but this whole range of issues was disappointing.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stuart G
Dear Stuart G,

I'm sorry that you encountered these issues during your short stay and assure you they are not reflective of our usual offerings. Wifi is provided from numerous routers based in the corridors which do have difficulty with some of the building fabric and we are looking to upgrade some of our older routers to address the grey areas.

I'm glad that we moved yiur room to overcome the issue and 229 is a perfectly nice room.

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Very nice hotel but the leisure facilities were very average with the Jaccusi not working and the poll rather small. That said the hotel was fine and the food good. I woulds suggest that it is worth checking that there is not a function on as we had to suffer noise till 1.00am and then guest noise til 2.00am. Parking is charged for which adds to the bill.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Wiltshirefolk,

Thank you for posting your review and I'm very glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

Hoping to welcome you back soon.

Harrogate
Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

Just returned from the most cheerless Christmas do ever. What a bunch of miserable, arrogant waiting staff I've had the miss fortune to meet. We were supposed to have a champagne reception but it turned out we were offed drinks in some sort of corridor with guests from other party's pushing pasted all the time. The food was bland and tasteless and DJ clueless on how to get the dance floor moving. However the worst part was the attitude of the staff whom were all far too good to be waiting on the likes of us.
I sincerely hope that next year my company has not quite as successful year and that we can't afford to come to a hotel that lives on reputation rather than service.

Stayed December 2013
4 Thank RogerAllison
Dear RogerAllison,

I'm sorry you didn't have an enjoyable time at your firm's Christmas party and that your staff interaction wasn't positive. Feedback from other parties has been very positive.

We can have up to 60 staff working on a busy weekend night in December and I would welcome some more speciric detail to your comments to help see what went wrong.

My email is v.johnson@pumahotels.co.uk and I look forward to hearing from you.

Manchester
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Just returned from our overnight stay at this hotel. Pleasant staff, excellent food and large, clean room with comfy bed! Very close to main shopping area and turkish baths, HIC etc. Would certainly visit again.

Room Tip: We had good views from our room 439 but it was rather drafty through the windows. Also at the moment...