“Good location, ok hotel”
Review of The Majestic Hotel

The Majestic Hotel
Ranked #18 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
East Yorkshire
“Good location, ok hotel”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Ok hotel in great location. Problems were long wait to check in. Also we upgraded to better room which was nice but the complimentary robes were dirty which we found a little disgusting and did not use them.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
Dear LeeroyEast Yorkshire,

Thank you for your review and I'm very sorry about the few issues you encountered. We were full and the check in desk did get a bit swamped, despite the receptionists best efforts.

Your robes were definately laundered as we have our own facilities in house for cleaning them. With certain beauty treatments we have suffered from some discolouration and are taking steps to remedy this as well. It's rarely an issue and I'm sorry that these slipped through and put you off.

When you next stay do let me know and I will oversee your booking and ensure you get one of our very best rooms.

v.johnson@pumahotels.co.uk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (684)
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013

A big thank you to all at the Majestic from table 37 for making xmas feel speacial on all aspects it was really enjoyable,relaxing and your staff are a credit to your company... Well done and a happy new year to you all.....

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Danny5111,

Thank you so much for your 5 star review. It was our pleasure to welcome your family to the hotel to share Christmas with us this year and hopefully we'll see you back next year if not before.

Wishing you a very Happy New Year from all the Team.

Durham
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Stayed for birthday. Room was beautiful and we had no complaints about any aspect of our stay. We ate in restaurant on evening, the meal was delicious and the service was perfect. We enjoyed ourselves so much we took advantage of the free wifi to book a further visit for husbands birthday.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank allyma
Dear allyma,

Thank you so much for your 5 star rating of the Majestic Hotel, Harrogate. I'm so glad you enjoyed your recent stay and pleased to hear you'd rebooked to return.

Do request the same room which you enjoyed so much and if we can, we'll provide it for you next time.

Very many thanks, Vince
Cambridge
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stayed at this hotel in between xmas and the new year. The hotel is a little dated but the staff are friendly and the room we had which was a premium was ok good shower and comfortable bed. Some rude guests constantly shutting doors and talking loudly from 6am was not on. The hotel is very big and a 5 min walk to centre of Harrogate. Breakfast was very good a buffet with a good selection of fruit, cereal, and hot food.

1 Thank Cambridgemarc
Dear Cambridgemarc,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your Twixmas break with us.

Many thanks, Vince
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We turned up on spec having checked out of the guesthouse right next to a busy A road!

It's not the cheapest but the rooms are a great size, the bath is for languidly relaxing in and the mattress was pure bliss!

It would have been nice to stay longer but this lovely sample of elegance meets modern was great and we loved the cooked breakfast overlooking the lawns.

Harrogate is a lovely town and this is definitely the place to stay if you wish to explore here and the rest of the North Yorkshire moors!

1 Thank Richard W
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
Dear Richard W,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your short stay with us and hope next time you travel up to Harrogate that you'll return to us.

Worcestershire
Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

Just had a fantastic break in the Majestic in Harrowgate. A real gem...They've kept the old features as much as possible. Real traditional values with customer service second to none. Particularly Alan Reading, the late night reception manager. He kept the bar open, realised it was a birthday and managed a cake and candle and really made a good evening really special. It's the attention to detail that is often lacking in the new hotels.
We booked a disabled room and although they are never quite perfect ( hangers are too high in the wardrobe, peephole on door is too high) they have attempted to make the hotel fully accessible. We have had a really relaxing stay. Thanks to all and we will be back!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear sylvester70,

Thank you for posting your 5 star review of the Majestic Hotel, Harrogate. I was delighted to read of your enjoyment and especially how Alan went out of his way to exceed your expectations and make your stay extra special. We are lucky to have him.

Hoping to welcome you back soon.

Wallsend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2013

My wife and I today returned from a 2 night stay at the Majestic Hotel in Harrogate; I think it should be renamed the “damn noisy and terrible food” hotel, as there was little majestic about this hotel. I appreciate hotels have to accommodate Christmas parties but I don’t want to have to fight through a crowd of party goers to get to dinner, nor have to listen to their drunken antics whilst I eat, nor do I want to be awoken at 2am as they stumble back to their rooms singing and shouting. Perhaps we wouldn’t have heard them had the walls not been paper thin and the gap under the door been less than an inch.

When you arrive at the Majestic hotel, it’s glamourous with the beautiful décor in reception, high sealings and footmen but that’s where the Majestic stops – it’s down hill from there.

I paid an extra £20 per night, at time of booking, to be upgraded to a Premium Room – what I discovered on arrival is that £40 got us a couple of bottles of water and robes we didn’t need; in our substandard room with tiny bathroom – the only reason I can assume the room was referred to as Premium was that it reminded the manager of Premier – Premier Inn; as it looked just like a room off their adverts. That’s where the comparison ended though as Premier Inn provide a much higher standard of room; their doors are insulated, their beds are comfortable, their heating works and their towel rails don’t take 14 hours to heat up.

The staff at dinner were attentative and the room with chandeliers, beautiful but the food was so sub-standard my wife said “this reminds me of brewers fayre”! A look into the kitchen and you see why; boys standing about it black polo shirts and baseball caps; no chefs whites in sight and no steam to suggest cooking being done.

On the first night we both had the ‘chicken and chorizo terrine’ which was icy cold (frozen) and served with the same chutney that was on offer at breakfast the following morning. The duck breast my wife had was over cooked, and the poached haddock I had wasn’t poached; was a tiny part of the haddock, served on a bed of powdery mash with parsnips! Who puts roast parsnips with haddock? For desert I had a cold sticky toffee pudding swimming in toffee ice-cream sauce and my wife had a ‘trio of sorbet’ which actually was a blackpool-style sundae glass with a wafer, and 3 flavoured ice creams.

On the second night, we hoped it would be better… My wife order broccoli soup with Croutons (she had to ask twice for the croutons after the soup arrived) whilst I had a lovely sounding mushroom and blue cheese tartlet which actually was a mushroom quiche without any blue cheese; but it did have a big dollop of kebab shop garlic mayonnaise! For mains this was where we were most disappointed; my wife had the rump steak (no issues there) but I ordered a ‘slow roasted leg of lamb’... can you imagine my disappointment when I received 2 slices of roast lamp joint; with the veg it looked like a cheap roast dinner. I complained to the waitress and was told “yeah, they’re slicing the meat tonight”. As I cut into it I discovered it wasn't even slow cooked but it was rubbery over cooked meat that didn’t even taste of lamb. It was also supposed to be served with oyster mushroom which was no where to be seen and a red wine jus which was in fact a watery red drizzle. Just to finish off this fine dinning experience my wife ordered pavlova not a meringue nest

5 Thank Richard A
Dear Richard A,

Please accept my apologies that you were disappointed with your stay. Unfortunately it is quite predictable that on a weekend in December a large hotel in a town centre will be busy with partygoers and the room provided to you was fully refurbished to a very high standard in 2011, with all appliances in working order. The bathroom is small though has all the usual fittings.

I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy dinner on eating on both evenings. There was a mistake with the lamb whereby roast lamb was used as the slow roasted portions had run out and you should have been advised of this.

Our kitchens have a large brigade of chefs though they are located below the restuarant and all our meals are brought up on an escalator to the restuarant hence you only saw our kitchen porters on the top level. Our chef has worked with us for 28 successful years and I'm sorry that it didn't suit your taste.

Kind regards, Vince

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels