“Short break”

Ranked #18 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Harrogate
“Short break”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Years since we visited harrogate so we opted for the majestic hotel and we were not disappointed.Everything was spot on from arriving to departing.Our evening meal was delicious and could not fault anything at all, the staff were very helpful and the hotel was beautiful.We hope to return very soon.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Vince J, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Marie O,

Thank you for psoting your 5 star review of the Majestic Hotel, Harrogate.

Our team will really appreciate your recognition.

Looking forward to welcoming you back.

Kind regards, Vince

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (701)
newcastle
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I enjoyed my midweek stay at the Majestic, I just didn't feel the wow factor that I was expecting, we had the afternoon tea package, I felt service was a little slow and also pleased I didn't pay the full price as It was a little on the small side for 2 people, still nice and filled a hole! We used the pool facilities, I felt here the changing rooms were small and also no privacy if you didn't want to change in front of others, maybe just a little updating needed. The rooms were great, really spacious and when we got our correct room, after the original not having enough beds, enjoyed our nights sleep too. Breakfast was done well for being a large hotel, lots of choice, hot, cold, cereal and healthy too. We were down early and had a leisurely breakfast and enjoyed it. I know the review is about the hotel but I loved the town of Harrogate, lovely shops, upmarket area and general shopping areas too, everything is walking distance and dispute the few things that weren't 4* I would return here to sample the town again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Vince J, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear Nicola K,

Thank you for posting your review and sharing your feedbacl. It is very helpful and I do hope that when you next return we can ensure you get the WOW.

Do let me know when you next book to visit and I'll ensure a pleasant surprise. You are right that Harrogate is a wonderful destination and you're now realising why so many clients just keep returning.

Lincoln
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We spent a couple of days here recently through a well known internet booking site. This came with 3 course meal one evening and afternoon tea included and I'm guessing quite a few people had done similar judging by the waitresses intro to just about everyone entering the restaurant.
Upon arrival our room wasn't ready, but we were given a voucher for a free coffee/tea while we waited. The hotel is well situated for Harrogate and certainly lives up to it's name as you can see it from most parts of the town. Has a nice old fashioned feel, with huge reception rooms, high ceilings, chandeliers etc. The room was good enough, quite a reasonable size, bed was fine etc. Bathroom a little on the old-fashioned side, but no problems. The included dinner was a bit rushed (you wonder if you would get the same if you were paying separately) but the food was of good quality and a reasonable choice. Afternoon tea was tasty, and enough for us, but again if I had been paying might have thought it a bit small.
You have to pay for parking (£3.50 a night)
Two downsides, our visit coincided with a toy-fair in the hotel, which was not a problem in itself, and although there was a loud disco we couldn't here it from our room. However on this night there was quite a bit of noise from under our window in to the early hours, not sure if it was a smoking area, but it did give us a bit of a disturbed night. Secondly, when I came to pay the bill (only extras as was prepaid in the deal) I was charged for the included dinner. When I pointed this out, the lady took the bill back pushed a few buttons and charged me only for the car park without a word. You can't help but be suspicious this happens and some people with larger bills may not check.
All in all, however a very nice stay in a lovely town.

Dear RedWimp,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel, Harrogate.

I'm very happy to read that you had an enjoyable stay and everything was to your satisfaction.

This particular offer has proven extremely popular and we are looking into why the dinner billing error occured. This package always includes dinner on the first evening and afternoon tea on the second day so for the Receptionist the error will have been obvious and a no quibble removal of the incorrect charge easily and quickly undertaken.

Behind the scenes we are looking into what happend on your rate plan and appreciate you highlighting the issue.

Hoping to welcome you back soon.

Harrogate
Reviewed 31 March 2014

If we had paid £50-80 for a room here I would not have a complaint but for a +£149 room I would not stay here again. The room was tired and dated, shower was terrible and overall the experience was poor. Even the tea and coffee making facilities was bad I mean what Yorkshire hotel uses tetley for tea!!!!!

If you can get a deal for under £70 then fine but if you want a treat go to hotel du vin.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Ben B,

Thank you for your review and I'm sorry that you felt the room was not value for money. As you booked one of the last rooms available just a week ahead for a Saturday night this will invariably attract our highest rates.

Similarly to trains, over a week in advance you can usually find our advance purchase discounted rates and over 21 days in advance (if staying more than one night) you can find our book early and save rates.

The room provided isn't our largest premium room but isn't old and tired as it was fully refubished only a few years ago.

We are in talks with Bettys and Taylors regarding tea though we are part of a national chain of hotels from Troon to Torquay so not everything can be localised.

I will liaise with my colleague who is dealing with your guest feedback form to try and find a suitable response.

Kind regards, Vince

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

N Yorks
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Went for afternoon tea for 7 people aged 45 to 88 years old on a fairly quiet Sunday afternoon.We were shown to a table and members of our party had to collect chairs from other tables so we could all sit together. Service was slow as there appeared to be one member of staff only. Meagre amounts of sandwiches eventually arrived and on some of the sandwiches the bread was curled up and dry on one side.The scones were tasty but tiny and there was one each however there was only 6 cakes for 7 of us.Nice big teapots of hot tea for the tea drinkers who had 2/3 cups each but one small cup of lukewarm coffee for the coffee drinkers amongst us.No member of staff could be found to ask for more coffee or discuss the state of the food. At £12.50 per person I felt completely robbed.
I did ring the manager the following day to complain who apologised and said he would look into this immediately and ring me back.This was 3 weeks ago today and I am still waiting for him to call back. Do not waste your money here!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank dhp124
Dear dhp124,

Thank you for your review and my sincere apologies that you were disappointed. We have served almost 500 afternoon teas in March and I have to say, it's very rare for there to be an issue.

For coffee drinkers we have previously provided proper bean to cup coffee such as cappuccino or latte or espresso as a superior standard. In light of your feedback we are looking into other options such as cafetieres. It is important to be consistent and I appreciate you making us aware of your experience.

I shall discuss your prior contact with my colleague to ensure we resolve the matter.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Had a really relaxing break and a thoroughly pleasant stay. Staff first class, polite and helpful. Had an upgrade to a super room. Hotel warm, clean and comfortable. Smart restaurant and very comfortable bar with no invasive music or TV - bliss! An added bonus was the very nice leisure club. The hotel is an easy walking distance for all the facilities in Harrogate. good food in restaurant and bar.

Room Tip: Some rooms are near to a generator-not sure which side of building.
Dear NP819,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. It is pleasing to hear that you had a relaxing time and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Kind regads, Vince
Daventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We had booked a double premier room for 3 nights for a short break. On arrival at the hotel we were greeted by the reception staff (one had only just started that day) and after a few minutes were seen to. The receptionist stated that we had booked a twin room which was wrong. She changed it for us. We were given our key and went to the room which was VERY disappointing. It was very dark and small. We went to reception and said that we were disappointed and the receptionist changed the room for us to a much brighter room with a better bathroom.
The service in the restaurant was very variable. The main problem seems to be that the waiting staff are not allocated to tables, it is a 'free for all' which can mean you are ignored. Quite often people who entered the restaurant after us had their order taken first and were served food and wine before us too. The food is good, served on lovely hot plates. The wine list is extensive and there i plenty of choice with the food too. On one evening I had the steak from the grill and it was perfectly cooked. On our last evening the restaurant was being used for a private function and we were in another room which I have to say was much nicer. Much brighter and it seemed that the staff were more attentive. The hotel is well positioned for getting around the area and walking into town.

Dear AngelaMC009,

Thank you for posting your review and glad that you had a lovely short break.

Your comments are always appreciated and do assist us in refining our offering and service.

Hoping to welcome you back soon.