“Great location, excellent service, just a bit dated”
Review of The Majestic Hotel

The Majestic Hotel
Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 7 April 2014

The hotel staff and location is great. However, hotel felt a bit dated and could have some love put back into it. There is a billiards room but no billiards table and a piano, which doesn't seem to have been used for many years.

Location is a stone throw away from the shops and station.

Don't bring anything too valuable as there are no safes in the rooms.

Definately recommend it, but have stayed in better 3* hotels, than this 4* hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Vince J, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Am a,

Thank you for posting your review and for chossing to stay with us. A proportion of our Premium Rooms do have safes so best to request a safe and book this room type.

Our bedrooms are all protected by electronic readable locks and we have no history of loss. Valuables can also be left with reception in our safe.

Thank you for raising this point enabling me to guide future guests.

Many thanks, Vince

Write a ReviewReviews (3,025)

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Stayed here on a prepaid booking (present from our young son), first and last impressions not great as the receptionist on 2 occasions said very loudly 'oh, you're groupon guests then.' Made us feel very inferior.

We paid to upgrade rooms, but despite booking in at 4.30pm, rooms nor fully ready and no milk, only 1 bath robe etc.

Very unimpressed by the spa. Stayed 20 mins.......

Worst thing was a toy convention, very loud music until 1.00am so no chance of sleep.

A shame as this is a beautiful old building - one I think hat is trading on past reputations!

Sorry but on our next trip to Harrogate we won't return here

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Vince J, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear AGerry,

Thank you for your review and my sincere apologies that you were unhappy with this visit.

We do welcome all feedback and I would really appreciate the chance to learn more about your experience so please do contact me on v.johnson@pumahotels.co.uk

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Stayed on the 5th of april 2014 for one night. We were in room 400 it was massive but very clean there was bottled water provided and tea and coffee.The town centre was a 5 min walk from hotel.We had pre booked our evening meal which was lovely the service was excellent and we had breakfast the next day and the service again was first class. I would say this is a well run hotel and I will definately be going bac

Room Tip: Room 400 was a superior room huge
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear lindametcalfe1,

Thank you so much for your 5 star review and looking forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

black mould around the bath tub. Unacceptable in a four star hotel. Location was great, lovely helpful staff, and an OK breakfast. But cleanliness really put it to shame compared to other four stars in Europe. Stayed two nights for business and wifi was patchy - no reading the news online in the breakfast room. Discounted rate was about right in terms of value for money.

Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Justyna M

Dear Justyna M,

Thank you for posting your review following your recent business stay.

I'm glad that you found our staff helpful and appreciate your feedback. We reseal 20 rooms each month and are working on wifi improvements as we speak.

I'm sure on your next visit you'll notice the difference.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

I brought my mum here for a spa day for her birthday as a surprise. I was really shocked by the standard and overall experience. I was expecting a lovely relaxing spa day and that really is not what i received.
Firstly you had to choose the lunch menu which was handed to us on a scrappy price of paper and the menu was not as I was previously told about when I enquired about the offer.
Secondly when a spa says they will provide robes you kind of expect nice comfy robes which are snug and clean. Nope instead it was a old rough dressing gown clearly on it's last legs.
Thirdly the spa treatments where supposed to be at least half an hour each, they barely lasted 15 and for what I paid I was utterly disappointed in the standard.
Fourthly when the spa package sates it included full use of spa facilities I personally expect a relaxing atmosphere. This wasn't the case, me and my mum didn't even go into the pool or facilities as it was rammed with kids and looked more like a fun for all. And i am still clueless to where or what the relaxation room is.
Finally we then asked for our lunch time to be brought forward as we had finished our treatments and were not keen on hanging around, this was possible however we were just left in a dark room with no lights or atmosphere and our lunches where brought to us. I had to ask about desert as nothing was mentioned and this is what I was told id be receiving. After mentioning this to a member or staff this request was fulfilled but had I not mentioned anything we would not of received anything.

Overall I was not impressed with the standard of the hotel or spa. It really need a good upgrade or even just a bit of TLC and paint. Its made out to be a lot better via pictures and is much of a let down. However the lunch was nice (once we actually received it) and the staff were very pleasant and the spa staff were very friendly.

• Stayed: March 2014
Vince J, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Dear CeeJay10,

I'm sorry that you were dissappointed and wish you had raised your concerns direct to us as we could better understand them and respond to you in greater proper detail.

We host hundreds of spa day clients here every month and usually without issue. Your morning booster package did include a 25 minute treatment each though unfortunately you were late for the appoitnment time rather than early and this was the reason why your treatments were shorter. For all beauty salons you need to reach the salon a good 10 to 15 minutes before your treatment is scheduled as you have to complete the consultation form and in this case pick a mini treatment.

We do have a small salon and don't advertise a relaxation room and our beauty salon is separately located to the health club. Again this doesn't seem to have been an issue and we do make every effort to explain exactly what we have on our website.

I appreciate that customers have different expectations and apologise that in this case we didn't meet yours. There are some definate learning points from your review and I do appreciate you sharing your feedback.

Kind reagrds, Vince

Reviewed 3 April 2014

This is a beautiful old building (from the outside), in lovely grounds, perfectly located for anyone visiting Harrogate or the nearby conference centre. Sadly, there appears to have been little investment by Puma Hotels who own the Majestic, and as a result it has a very run-down and somewhat depressing feel. Everything's just a bit grotty and dated. I didn't dare sit down in the scummy bath, and settled for the old-fashioned, fixed-head shower. There were odd attempts at sprucing up the room with modern art when it would have been far better to sort out the flaking paint on the ancient radiator or give the windows a clean. Conversations (and other activities) in neighbouring rooms were clearly audible, so I'm glad I had ear plugs with me. I have no doubt that 50+ years ago this was a grand, majestic place to stay, but the years of neglect are easy to spot and I'm amazed at the 4-star rating and the prices being charged.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear pob74,

Thank you for posting your review and my apologies that you did not enjoy your business visit.

I am sorry that there were minor amintenance issues with your room which we do strive to avoid though as a traditional hotel it is clearly a very different proposition to the usual modern business hotel.

Hopefully you completed one of our guest feedback surveys which will allow us to fully understand the details behind your feelings.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Stayed at the Majestic on a Sunday evening. Went for the offer including dinner, breakfast and a spa treatment. Room was ok, nothing special but clean and quiet. Dinner was amazing, dining room is lovely and staff are nice, menu is not extensive but everything we had was just lovely. It was all very Downton Abbey with classical music etc. breakfast was again fab- literally everything I could possibly want to choose from. Only point that worried me was large bowl of nuts.... Surely with so many allergies this is no longer good practice???
We went into the leisure club on both days, there's not many loungers but it was not that busy so we were able to lie down. The pool is a good size, the jacuzzi and sauna good too. The beauty area is lovely with a nice relaxation area and free refreshments. I go to spas a lot and have to say the treatment was fantastic - I wish I got the therapists names as she was excellent in practice and also had great subject knowledge. Considering the cost was under £100 it was value for money, there are some hotels were you wouldn't get dinner for that. Also, the hotel is 5 mins walk from the shops so we had a nice look around.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Rach N,

Thank you for posting your review and it's lovely to read your positive feedback. Our ladies in the beauty salon are just a small team but always do an excellent job and feedback is invariably good about the service they provide.

Hoping to welcome you back soon.