“Not quite Majestic, But very good...”
Review of The Majestic Hotel

The Majestic Hotel
Ranked #18 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Not quite Majestic, But very good...”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I was very pleased at the time of booking when looking at this hotel - the deal we got was very good value, and the hotel looked great on the photos. The hotel is massive, and the lobby and bar look very nice. The restaurant was a tad dated, but nothing to complain about (maybe the music could be less 'The Shining' like). I was a little underwhelmed at our room, it was a standard double, again a big room and bathroom, and was perfectly fine, but the photos when booking looked so much nicer!
The sauna's are separate for male and females in their respective changing room, and the whole leisure facility is a tad small but perfectly acceptable.
Overall I was happy with our stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Vince J, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Daniel P,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel, Harrogate.

I'm glad that you found your package to be good value and enjoyed the various service elements. On bedrooms we operate two main designations. Premium and Deluxe rooms are all fully refurbished and more modern and our standard double and twin guest rooms are more traditional. There are images of both types on our website.

On your next stay I'd highly recommend you trying an upgrade.

Kind regards, Vince

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (701)
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I stayed here in Feb 2014 with work and found the room was excellent, nice, cosy & well equipped. the meals we had were all excellent and staff very helpful. Only 5 minutes walk to the centre of town with all the bars and shops. The pool & gym are also great for working off the food.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Martin W,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel, Harrogate.

I'm very pleased that you enjoyed all aspects of your business stay and hope that next time we can welcome you back for on leisure time.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I think you have to want to go to old hotels. The staff were good. Restaurant food was excellent. Breakfast great. So I would recommend the hotel as a whole but you have to understand that things will not be perfect in an old building -- so as long as you know that then you should enjoy your stay. Really Well located for Harrogate centre. Sadly some one has allowed another hotel to be built almost in the garden !!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Simon_Draper,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel, Harrogate.

I'm very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and found dinner to be excellent.

With our so central location we're fortunate to have the hige 8 acre site we do, albeit our nearest neighbour is the Harrogate International Centre.

Hoping to welcome you back soon, Vince
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I stayed at the Majestic in April 2014 as part of a small group on business. This is the worst 4 star hotel I have stayed in outside London. Having stayed in a Premier Inn at the weekend - I would choose that any day over my experience at the Majestic.The first room I was given - on the top floor, far away from anywhere and right next to the fire escape was at best, tired and grubby. Definitely not 4 star. The receptionist at the time was lovely and changed my room without a quibble, but the next room wasn't much better, although it was at least clean and a bit more central. Furniture was outdated, and even with the single bed pushed up to the wall, the room was very small and reminiscent of an old fashioned B& B. Some staff were lovely, but one of the bar staff told me he couldn't pass me two more wine glasses for colleagues joining us for a drink, as he was too busy. Another member of staff couldn't direct me to the toilets as she didn't know where they were! Although some of my colleagues had lovely rooms, most of us were extremely disappointed. Beautiful and imposing on the outside and in main areas, but some rooms leave a lot to be desired. I wouldn't choose to stay again. Evening meal and breakfast were nice, but service not 4 star.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Jeanthebean2014,

Thank you for posting your review. I'm sorry that you were unhappy with your stay. Our single rooms are just that but offered at a good reduction from our standard rates, and for some bookers this is important.

I'm certain that your specific feedback via our own guest satisfaction survey will be followed up with you. We are committed to service improvement and are always appeciative of being advised of areas in which we can perform better.

Many thanks, Vince

Travellers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at the Majestic hotel several times before when attending BBEH. I love the charm of the place, the period details and the scale of the ballroom/breakfast room. I have stayed in both an upgraded contemporary room and an old fashioned room.

It was my suggestion to bring our family here for a spring break but we were really disappointed with our room. It was huge but grim is the best word to describe it. It was a family room for three and the whole room had just seen better days. The sofa bed was filthy the wardrobe tatty, carpet grubby and whole room just dull! A little point but worth making is that when sitting at the dressing table you could not see in the mirror and I am 6ft! I was so underwhelmed we called reception but could only be moved for one night without paying a £30 per night upgrade. We decided to just stick with what we had until the building work directly outside our room woke us up the next morning. Granted they didn't start until 8am but we were on holiday and could easily have slept on.

Later that day I expressed my disappointment to a lady at reception who moved us to a better room for the next two nights but it still was very tired. I have photos of filthy sealant next to bath, tiles missing, ripped wallpaper, spillages on wallpaper and a section right above our bed which I am not sure whether it was damp/mould or dust. Again the sofa's were not the cleanest and actually had holes at the corners. Roadworks outside the hotel went on to 11pm which is clearly out of the hotels hands.

Our little one really enjoyed the pool and the breakfasts were lovely as always. The hotel is in a great location for the exhibition centre and the town is only a few minutes walk.

Unfortunately I feel that I am not prepared to gamble on room standard again and so will not return. I do not like to downgrade from our home standards while on holiday and this definitely was below our standard. I would agree with previous reviews that the name Majestic no longer fits.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Gumbyman1,

Thank you for posting your review and please accept my sincere apologies for the condition of the room provided. These maintenance issues should never have allowed the room for sale and action to remedy them was immediately taken.

If you've not already had contact with one of my colleagues then do make contact with me and I'll do my utmost to address the situation. My email is v.johnson@pumahotels.co.uk

Many thanks, Vince
blackpool
Reviewed 9 April 2014

we stayed at the majestic for 2 nights at the beginning of april, and we were not disappointed
.it is a big, old, grand hotel befitting its name. our room was quiet, clean and comfortable, lovely bedding and towels. we enjoyed the leisure facilities and used them a lot as it was raining.
the breakfast was everything you could want in a hotel breakfast, although i would say go before 9am if you can as there tended to be queues waiting to be seated. dogs were allowed, which must be great if you are a dog owner, and the car park had a charge of £3.50 per day. staff were helpful. we had intended to visit york for the day, but liked harrrogate so much that we stayed there for the day going round the shops.would definitely visit again. just a 5 minute walk into main harrogate.

Dear lovetoswim55,

Thank you so much for your 5 star review of the Majestic Hotel.

I'm glad you had a lovely time despite the rain and you'll definately have to return in the sunshine !

Northallerton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We were really impressed with the public areas of the hotel which retain the air of opulence expected in a hotel of this era. The staff were friendly and helpful. We were however disappointed with the room which was on the fourth floor. It was small and had seen better days. The paintwork was tatty, the grout around the bath and tiles needed a good scrub. On the ledge outside the window were discarded beer bottles and rubbish. Our friends in the room next door had a larger room which looked brighter so maybe we were just unlucky.
The pool was disappointing, small and full of young children ( perhaps to be expected during school holidays) We spent our time in the jacuzzi and sauna.
Breakfast was good. Strong coffee, nice range of fruits and warm bread with a selection of jams, curds etc meant we were set up for the day.
We got this room on offer and at the price we paid for room and breakfast, would stay again.

Dear Heather R,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I'm glad that you felt you'd received good value for money and enjoyed the services included in your package.

We do have a rolling routine for maintenance which does see many jobs undertaken each month and I'm sorry if your room was overdue some remedial work.