“Excellent Hotel, well placed and very much Majestic”
Review of The Majestic Hotel

The Majestic Hotel
Ranked #18 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Choose this hotel as it was a reasonable price and very close to the HIC where The Good Food Show was on. We were also celebrating our anniversary so it was a treat night away with Dinner. We found the hotel easy to find and so close to the show with the added benefit that we could park at the hotel, and didn't need to move our vehicle after check out. Dinner was nice and relaxing with efficient staff and our bedroom was clean, with bathrobes to use. The staff were friendly and when I enquired about parking prior to our visit, Vince the Manager e mailed straight away with an answer to my question. Can not fault The Majestic at all. If the Good a Food Show returns again to Harrogate I will book straight away. Thank You Majestic staff for making our overnight stay comfortable.

1  Thank Poppies4
Vince J, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear Poppies4,

Thank you so much for your 5 star review and for selecting the Majestic Hotel for your trip to Harrogate.

You are correct in that Harrogate is a great size so that once you've parked on arrival there's little need to use your car again before leaving.

We certainly hope that the Good Food Show had a successful visit and that they'll return, along with yourselves, next year.

There are newer reviews for The Majestic Hotel

Reviewed 28 April 2014

we booked this hotel at last minute having a a 40% discount deal on the Puma website. We had just celebrated our silver wedding anniversary and my wife's birthday and a nigh away in the Harrogate Majestic rounded off our week nicely. On arrival the receptionist was very polite and friendly and checked us in without any fuss. We were given room 411 and advised as a wedding was taking place we shouldn't hear any noise on the fourth floor. The room was very disappointing, tired, dated and in very much in need of some general updating. I returned to reception and asked to upgrade to a premium room which was done for an additional £20 payment. The first room we were given was much improved but looked out over waterlogged flt roofs and discarded and broken guttering and pipes. I returned to reception was was given room 152. This was a very spacious room which looked out to the side of the hotel where the building work was taking place. Fortunately as it was Sunday the site was closed and quiet. The the bathroom was clean and a reasonable size, bed was king size and very comfortable. There were a few niggles with the room, the counterpane covering the end of the bed was dirty and stained (the rest of the bedding was spotless), the light in the large wardrobe didn't work, some of the furniture was very dated and tatty with worn varnish and multiple ring marks. Missing mineral water was replaced within the hour. The biggest shock was when my wife opened the bedside draw and found a very creepy type of small straw doll which looked to have been made from hair! In hindsight we should have called someone up to see it but having already changed rooms twice I put it in the bin and forgot about it (although my wife refused to sleep on that side of the bed). We used the pool facility which was quite poor considering this is a premium four star hotel. Breakfast was good, large selection although the cooked items were limited and replenishment was quite slow.
Overall this is a beautiful building an an excellent setting, staff we encountered were polite and helpful, The rooms we saw were again disappointing for this class of hotel, as was the unexpected charge to use the car park! Even at a discounted rate of £105 we left feeling disappointed and unlikely to return.
I hope Puma take notice of customer reviews and bring this hotel back to a standard fitting to its history and grandeur.

1  Thank deanstockwell

Dear Deano64,

Thank you for posting your review and please be assured we do value yours and all feedback. It helps focus our efforts on achieveing consistency and attention to detail.

I'm sorry that there were some issues which fell below our normal standards and please be assured we are working to address these.

Hoping to welcome you back soon.

Kind regards, Vince.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

first impressions were wow look at this , inside we were not disappointed. our room was dated but clean and comfortable. it was close to a big shopping centre bus & rail links. the dining room and bars are really kept nice with bothe breakfast & evening meal being splendid. love it & will return in the future

Dear V B,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel.

I'm very pleased that you enjoyed your visit.

Do return soon, Vince

Reviewed 27 April 2014

My friends and I (3 or us) stayed at the Majestic hotel last weekend as part of a package deal, £100 each hotel Room (shared) a 1 hour spa treatment, evening meal and breakfast. On arrival 1pm our room wasn't ready, so we went into Harrogate upon our return at 4.30pm we checked into our room, which although spacious was very old fashioned and the ceiling had damp on it!! We went for our Spa treatment which was lovely, we then went to the leisure facilities, the pool area was dirty and needed a clean, not what we expected. We then went down for our evening meal in the restaurant, what can I say.....horrendous, mozzarella like I have never seen before, terrible staff and atmosphere I cannot tell you how bad it was!!! We then went for breakfast the following morning, we had to queue and when we eventually got in the staff were so rude and the quality although not as bad as the previous evening wasn't good. I cannot recommend this hotel, the staff were terrible apart from the spa and the food is the worst I have ever had. The travelodge has got to be better than here.

Room Tip: There can't be any!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Vince J, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Victoria M,

Thank you for your review and I'm sorry that you had such a poor experience. It would help me better understand the situation if you could provide more detailed feedback regarding your stay.

This is always appreciated as despite the very many positive 4/5 star reveiws we receive, there are occasions where we fall short and it is important to review these. My email address is: v.johnson@pumahotels.co.uk

I'll hope to hear from you.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Had a short pamper break at this fantastic hotel in walking distance of Harrogate town. Excellent accomodation and the meals were supurb. Staff were always helpfull, can highly recommend this great hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Hi Berniebobs00,

Thank you for posting your lovely review and really pleased for your kind words. The overall scoring I think you intended 5/5 but I can see your individual indications are all great.

Hoping to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

This visit was our first time back to the Magestic since our Honeymoon in 1981, we always intended to come back but somehow life got in the way.I purchased the voucher has a Christmas gift for my husband and we intended to use it at the beginning of February like before. However my husband had a stroke at the end of January so again we thought our visit would not happen.I rang Domminic to explain the situation and he very kindly agreed to extend the voucher to last weekend, all we had to do was pray my husband would be well enough to travel and has you now know he was.We both felt quite emotional when we arrived and were glad checking in was made so easy.Although my husband was not very active durring our stay I can honestly say we had a wonderful time and everyone we spoke to was extreemly friendly and helpful, We asked lots of questions relating to our first visit and talked about the changes we thought had been made since then. We both really enjoyed the account of historical events book in our room it was very interesting and enlightening. However there was one question we could not get an answer to,my husband and I both remember swimming in the pool but we don't remember it has the one you have now, We really can't understand it because all the evidence and people's memories point to there never being any other pool, does anyone know if there was ever a different one.
Thank you to each and every member of staff they all contributed in some way to helping make our stay special.

1  Thank glorybe65

Dear glorybe65,

Thank you so much for your kind review of the Majestic Hotel, Harrogate. I really enjoyed reading it and am pleased that we were able to play our small part in bringing you back here after 33 years !

A lot will have changed and I'm pleased to be able to answer your query. The current leisure club was opened in 1988 so you definately didn't swim in it. There are no records at all of there being an outdoor pool prior to that. Maybe you'd visited one of the baths nearby.

It's lovely to have welcomed you back and please try not to leave it so long before returning !

Reviewed 25 April 2014

This was our first trip to Harrogate and it's certainly worth returning. The imposing building is in within easy walking distance of the town centre, although people with mobility problems may find the hill up to the hotel an issue. We used a discount voucher, which included bed, breakfast and an evening meal with wine and this definitely represented good value for money. However, it would not have been true if we'd paid the full price. We had a deluxe room, which was tastefully decorated, with a very comfortable bed, although the room had a depressing view across a roof to the other rooms. The evening meals were fine, although the breakfast was ok, we did expect a 4* hotel to offer scrambled eggs as standard fayre. There was also no cooked alternative to a full English breakfast. Also some parts of this very large hotel decor did look tired. We are in our early 50's and felt much younger than most of the other guests. More attention to little details would also contribute to the 4* rating eg our dirty wine glasses were left in the bedroom after it had been cleaned and although we had run out of soap it was not replaced. The receptionist who booked us in was quite miserable and not explain to us about the wi fi, spa or pool. The receptionist who checked us out was delightful and extremely helpful.

Room Tip: If you want an alternative to a fried egg, ask, because I'm sure it could be provided!

Dear B H,

Thank you for review of the Majestic Hotel. I'm glad to read that you had a good stay and appreciate your observations as to how it could have become a great stay for you.

The room servicing shortcomings have been shared with our Head Housekeeper to retrain the individual concerned as this is not our normal standard.