“Certainly no longer majestic”
Review of The Majestic Hotel

The Majestic Hotel
Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I tried posting this review 9 days ago following an email from Puma Hotels asking me to comment on our stay at the Majestic Hotel, Harrogate. After I completed their online questionnaire there was the option to post my comments to Trip Advisor from Puma's website. Obviously these reviews are vetted by them but they do not look like they are going to passing on my review to Trip Advisor. Perhaps the outcome would have been different if I was more complementary.

Fortunately I kept a copy and here it is.

"You would have thought with a name like Majestic and a four star rating that you are in for a pretty reasonable hotel. We were allocated room 108. Other than a jolly nice room (but with a pretty dismal view) and a half decent breakfast, I do not have a great deal of good to say about this drab, cold and dreary hotel.

Yes, it does have a great position in Harrogate if you want to visit the town centre.
Yes, it does have gardens and pool plus other leisure facilities.
But, and it is a big “BUT”, things are mostly pretty ordinary and lack any wow factor or quality at all.

In particular, the public areas downstairs were very poorly heated, cold, uncomfortable, uninteresting and the decoration was dire - certainly not to be considered majestic in anyway.

Our one evening meal in the restaurant was a process rather than an occasion. This once grand room was dowdy and surrounded by windows that need a good clean or replacement units, some of them, one could barely see through. Used dinner plates were left on our table for far too long as we waited for our next course. Just as well we were not in a hurry. After a while we could not help noticing that staff had little interest or any affective guidance. Waiters had little experience and never even asked us if we wanted to try the (overpriced) wine beforehand.

Not one of our party formed the impression that this hotel or its staff, were trying to make our stay memorable, so that we would want to visit/stay again.

The Majestic Hotel as previously mentioned is in the centre of the town and I/we mistakenly took its position and status as an ambassador for the town. Sadly on this showing, for us, it let us down and ultimately their town.
Would I go to Harrogate again – yes most certainly.
Would I go back to the Majestic again – definitely not".

Room Tip: Not all the rooms in the hotel have been modernised so ask for one that has - otherwise you maybe ev...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Vince J, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Mr Grimshaw,

Thank you for posting your review. I have reviewed your feedback form and can't see why it didn't move through onto the TA site. We never vet the forms as all feedback is helpful and subjective.

In your case you liked your room and the breakfast though found the public areas drab. I do appreciate your more detailed feedback and apologise that you did not receive our normal service standards as seen in other reviews.

Kind regards, Vince

Write a ReviewReviews (3,029)

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Such a faded hotel, poor rooms, jaded communal areas, standard hotel food (hard to tell beef from chicken from fish). Not keen on Harrogate generally but this hotel really didn't help endear the place to me. With any luck, I won't be back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Lexakit

Dear Lexakit,

Thank you for your review and saddened to hear that you didn't like Harrogate.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

I have to commend the staff were unfailingly polite and often went beyond what was asked of them. A typical example being the breakfast waitress who saw me looking for a paper and went to get more from reception, having come back she noticed I was up getting my breakfast so asked where my table was and took the paper over. The first evening I had booked dinner for 16, we ended up being 20, there was no muttering or sighs - chairs and cutlery were quickly provided - late orders added and all with a smile.

1  Thank cdo001

Dear cdo001,

Thank you so much for posting your 5 star review.

The instances of great service were a joy to read and I'm proud of the staff who acted in such a professional and attentive manner.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

This hotel is in a good location to explore beautiful Harrogate, however, the room- even though very spacious, was very tired & in need of updating. The same can be said for the bathroom. Breakfast at an extra charge was good with plenty of choice. The ladies on reception are delightful & very helpful but we were disappointed that we had to pay an extra subsidy for parking.

Room Tip: There are building works going on outside the hotel. When booking a room ask to be accommodated on t...
1  Thank Janet B

Dear Janet B,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel.

I do hope that on your next visit that you will opt for one of our modern Premium rooms as I'm sure you would enjoy this.

It was pleasing to hear of your satisfaction with breakfast and the service provided by the Reception Team.

Hoping to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

An excellent three day stay room very large, bed very comfortable
food and service excellent,staff could not have been more helpful .
very good car parking facilities grounds around the hotel beautiful.
Close to a beautiful town centre hope to return asap

Room Tip: right wing have better views

Dear peter c,

Thank you so much for your 5 star review.

Your recognition is greatly appreciated.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Eight of us booked for a relaxing spa day and afternoon tea for £55.00 based on the advertisement on the Majestic Hotel's website, Harrogate.
The treatment room is tiny, enough room for 4 to sit outside it, the pool is then down a draughty corridor( you have to walk from the treatment room down a draughty, public corridor) to get to the pool. The pool was full of children having swimming lessons with 4 loungers in the pool area which were occupied( again, no where for us to sit and relax). The changing rooms were cramped tatty and dirty,iv'e seen far higher standards in a public baths.
We asked the deputy manger for our money back and to be compensated as this was for a special birthday and some had travelled, we were given no apology, a " couldn't care less" attitude, our money back and a coffee. We had arrived in our gym clothes, but wer'e told we couldn't have room and would have to use the pool facilities,( cramped, tatty unclean and full of children changing). We spoke to a couple who had booked the same spa day and showed us their afternoon tea, very sparse and unappetising. Terrible experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jane S

Dear Jane S,

As I responded to your friend, I'm very sorry that you were unhappy with the arrangements for your pamper day. We do welcome many guests on such packages and I am very sorry that you found our facilities unsuitable.

We did without question provide you with a full refund and we do try to be clear about our offering of a health club and separate beauty salon and price it accordingly. Very many hotels offer a simalar type of package as opposed to fully fledged spas which are twice or three times more expensive.

My apologies for your disappointment, Vince

Reviewed 11 May 2014

arrived today with 6 friends for a relaxing birthday spa day. the deal was advertised as "treat me" spa experience. well i can only say we were treated appallingly. on arrival we found a cramped, cold, dirty and overcrowded changing area with a pool packed with children having swimming lessons. there were only 4 loungers - already in use- and nowhere else to sit in between treatments. this is certainly not what is advertised on the website and definitely not a treat! we complained to the duty manager, Steve Johnson, who was frankly dismissive at best, although he did offer us our money back. having decided not to use the facilities, we asked to use a hotel room to shower and change as the health club changing rooms were so packed and dirty. again the duty manager was dismissive and was unwilling to help. i find it extremely hard to believe that one room could not be made available at 12.00 as most guests will have checked out at 10. i am sure that the hotel is lovely for an overnight stay or meal but i would definitely not recommend the spa to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2014
Vince J, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear spooc123,